The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

cue PT Barnum...

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:00 am

Here we go again
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3795911
ABA Announces New Maryland Expansion Team
March 27, 2009 - American Basketball Association (ABA)

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) today announced that it will add a team in Maryland next season. "We are very pleased to be back in Maryland. the new team will fit beautifully into our East Coast divisional plans and the ownership group, Chimeka Unlimited, LLC, led by James Agbai is experienced, organized and driven," said Joe Newman, ABA CEO. "I see nothing but great success on and off the court."

James Agbai is the CEO/President/General Manager of Chimeka Unlimited, LLC. He has had a lifelong dedication to the game of basketball. Since his childhood, he has played countless hours on the school teams as well as on the courts of New York City and Massachusetts. After relocating to Maryland, James built and currently runs the first Adult Basketball Recreational program in Essex, MD. As league commissioner, he has creatively used technology, corporate sponsorships, and local basketball talent to grow his league to become one of the most desirable men's leagues in Baltimore County. In addition, he serves as chairperson in the Sternbridge Parks and Recreation Council which has strengthened his ties to the community where he has positioned his league as full of "family fun." Mr. Agbai has earned an undergraduate degree from the University of Vermont and an MBA from the University of Phoenix.

"We are very excited about this opportunity," stated Agbai. "We believe that we have the perfect blend of basketball and business - and the passion - to make our team and organization one of the very best that has ever been in the ABA. We have put together a tremendous group of people and are ready for the challenge. We are determined to be here for the long haul and truly become an integral part of the community."

Agbai has surrounded himself with an executive team whose strengths focus on Marketing and Public Relations, Human Resources, Management, Operations and Security. He also has business advisors from various industries including Law, Education, Fundraising and of course, professional basketball.

For more information, call 410 233 1110 or email jagbai@yahoo.com or visit http://www.abalive.com or http://www.abamagazine.com.
Venue? Nope
Team name? Nope
Website? Nope
Hell, is the home CITY listed? Nope

vs. this example of how you SHOULD do it:
//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... hp?t=13902
Agbai has surrounded himself with an executive team whose strengths focus on Marketing and Public Relations, Human Resources, Management, Operations and Security. He also has business advisors from various industries including Law, Education, Fundraising and of course, professional basketball.
OK - so, who are these people? And I love "and of course, professional basketball." Who, Joe? Or is it your contention that now that the team has been announced in a "professional" league, ALL of these people are now "advisors from... professional basketball" in your mind?

Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

utahstarsticketholder
Site Admin

Owner is truely rec leaguer!

Post by utahstarsticketholder » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:38 am

1. How fitting that a commisioner of a rec league should become the newest owner of an "ABA" team.
2. Nothing screams business acumen as MBA from the University of Phoenix.
3. Watch out Ole Joe, you may have competition from a fellow commisioner (Perhaps more legit?)
4. Now how many credit hours? 42 from life experience? How much per hour?
5. Another in a long line of suckers to fall hook line and stinker.
Sad but just another day in the Amature Basketball Abomination.
jack
Last edited by utahstarsticketholder on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Jack, We believe Joe Newman has a vision. As opposed to blogging his mission negatively why don't you offer suggestions of support and help. We did, Regards Roland Rodgers CEO BSN LLC

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Aren't the Nighthawks supposed to return to the PBL next season...?

I'm just sayin'... I mean, we know Joe would never do something predatory like place a team in another league's market... he's said so himself!

:)

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:51 pm

So where does a rec league director find the money needed to run a pro basketball team the right way?

I think we all know the answer to that question...

10 games...and that's if the ABA plays ANY games next year.

rockhound
Site Admin

Be careful with the insults

Post by rockhound » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:15 pm

[quote=""utahstarsticketholder""]
2. Nothing screams business acumen as MBA from the University of Phoenix.

4. Now how many credit hours? 42 from life experience? How much per hour?
[/quote]

The University of Phoenix is a fully accredited institution of higher learning which is eligible to participate in the Federal Financial Aid Program. It is not a degree mill. Their MBA's are very respected within the business community. I know a few people who take classes through Phoenix and they are having to bust their rumps due to the rigorous demand of the coursework.

Now this guy made a very bad business decision to get involved with the ABA but that does not mean the U of Phoenix degree is a degree mill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix
Last edited by rockhound on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to wikipedia article on U of Phoenix

utahstarsticketholder
Site Admin

Rockhound

Post by utahstarsticketholder » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:44 am

About 20 years ago U of P came to Salt Lake. Their ads in the market seemed to be a great deal for me finish my degree. I met with a staff member (closer to a salesman) who explained to me that my "life experience" at age 33 and ten years as a firefighter would gain me 35 to 40 hours of college level credit. He explained that the cost per credit hour was only 250.00 and being a vet he could see me completing my BA in less then a year! Awesome except that I only had 36 credit hours from Paramedic School from Weber State University and scant 101 level general education classes!
Needless to say I enrolled at Weber to complete my degree over the course of five years.
Correct for you to say they are accredited school of higher learning but this is some twenty years after my experience.
Stay safe, jack..
Dear Jack, We believe Joe Newman has a vision. As opposed to blogging his mission negatively why don't you offer suggestions of support and help. We did, Regards Roland Rodgers CEO BSN LLC

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:22 am

[quote=""rockhound""]The University of Phoenix is a fully accredited institution of higher learning which is eligible to participate in the Federal Financial Aid Program. It is not a degree mill. Their MBA's are very respected within the business community. I know a few people who take classes through Phoenix and they are having to bust their rumps due to the rigorous demand of the coursework.

Now this guy made a very bad business decision to get involved with the ABA but that does not mean the U of Phoenix degree is a degree mill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix[/quote]

They're one step above degree mill.
They've been fined hundreds of millions of dollars for violations of the Higher Education Act and they have a case pending on them in regards to defrauding the financial federal aid program. Their parent company also was successfully sued for fraud on another unrelated matter.

The University of Phoenix is the ABA of universities. (Albeit, a more successful version)

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:45 pm

[quote=""CHris902""]

The University of Phoenix is the ABA of universities. (Albeit, a more successful version)[/quote]

Thats as damning a comparison as anyone could make. Wow. To be honest I thought they were legit, but haven't done any sort of research or heard anything one way or the other to form an opinion.

This poor guy in Maryland. Another dreamer who will stumble along, fold or somehow run a team in spite of the rest of the league and then jump ship to another league as early as possible.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Wow, you guys will really diss my degree then.

Regardless, this guy's MBA should be revoked.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

utahstarsticketholder
Site Admin

Sdg

Post by utahstarsticketholder » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Never a basher or hater, I do know that my fellow firefighters have enrolled at U of P and finished their degrees but at least they do course work. That fellow way back when seem to hint that those credit hours would come very easily. Distance learning is a great way for wage earners to complete or finish a degree. It is not an easy thing when working full time!
As to this cat who gave money to Ole Joe, he will get what he deserves!
I only hope that somehow Berrell can get to a league that will support his team. If the ABA had more Berrells' and less con men it could be a success.
Stay safe, jack.

Return to “ABA”