cue PT Barnum...

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:27 pm

[quote=""newiflfan""]--Previous article I posted/quoted, about a proposed ABA team in Grand Rapids, Michigan--
[/quote]

The joker thinking he will start the team I referenced in my previous post now says he's going to start a WABA team in Grand Rapids as well!

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapid ... d_rap.html
Plans made to start Grand Rapids women's basketball team in WABA

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – A women’s professional basketball team will take a shot at finding a home here with the WABA.

The Grand Rapids Lady Stars will hold tryouts noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 18, at LifeQuest at 1050 Fisk St. SE.

Cost to try out is $50 with the top 12 invited to a showcase game to fill the roster.

The team is owned by Kendalle Delaney, and is part of a fledgling league that plans to begin its season in late September, early October.

"I had people come up to me in Grand Rapids and express interest in it," Delaney said. "I believe it could be something very good for Grand Rapids."

More information is available at 312-286-7759 or at gladystars@gmail.com.

Delaney, a track and field coach at North Lawndale College Prep High School and the Legacy Runners Athletic Club in Chicago, is also the owner operator of the Grand Rapids Cyclone, a new men’s team that plans to begin operation this fall with the ABA.

The Cyclones, expected to be a travel team their first season, will play between five and 15 games in schedules arranged by owners rather than a formal league schedule, Delaney said.

The Cyclones will host tryouts in conjunction with two other ABA teams – the Chicago Fury and Jacksonville Giants noon to 4 p.m. Saturday at LifeQuest. Cost to try out in $100.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 pm

[quote=""newiflfan""]. "I had people come up to me in Grand Rapids and express interest in it," Dela [/url][/quote]

........because people all over Grand Rapids know to go running up to a track coach and express an interest in bring a woman's basketball team to town.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

yet another Kitchen Czar special

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:49 pm

http://abalive.com/aba-featured-news/ab ... #more-3961
ABA INTRODUCES ITS FIRST LATINO BASKETBALL TEAM
Chicago, IL. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today announced that it will introduce its first Latino team in the US based in Chicago IL starting in the 2013 season. The team, owned by Ricardo “Rick” Sanchez will be named Las Estrellas de Chicago (Chicago Stars) http://www.thechicagostars.com.

“This has long been a goal of the ABA,” stated ABA CEO Joe Newman. “There are so many great Hispanic players in the US; this should have happened long ago. I am very familiar with Chicago’s Hispanic community having had a Spanish language radio station there for several years and I know this will be one of the most successful teams in the ABA. I cannot think of a better place to have the first Hispanic team and a better person than Rick to operate it.

The ABA is the largest professional sports league in the US with nearly 90 teams. It is also the most diversified with 75% of its owners being African-American, Hispanic, Asian or women. The league provides exciting professional basketball at affordable pirces.

“We are very pleased and proud to have the ABA’s first Latino team in the US,” added Sanchez. “We’re looking forward to completing with the teams in our division as well as teams in other cities across the United States. We know we will be very competitive by showcasing some of the best professional players from Chicago, Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, Cuba, South America, Central America and of course, the United States. We are excited to be providing a fan-friendly, exciting and affordable experience.”

“The Chicago Stars will be more than just a basketball team,” added Sanchez. “We will be a world class organization which intends to give back to the community with basketball camps, food drives, mentorship programs and other activities which will make our communities that much better.:”

The team is currently searching out venues for its upcoming season and looks to build their own stadium in the very near future to achieve its goals. For more information about the team or sponsorship opportunities, please call Rick Sanchez at 866 266 3979 or email rsanchez@thechicagostars.com or visit http://www.thechicagostars.com or http://www.abalive.com.
" We know we will be very competitive by showcasing some of the best professional players from Chicago, Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, Cuba, South America, Central America and of course, the United States" - really, how many players will come to this team's tryouts from anywhere OTHER than the first location in his list?

Love how Joe promotes these specific ethno-centric teams for his "diverse" league - Filipino, Japanese, Mongolian, Native American, Latino, etc.

I'm waiting to catch my break to play pro ball when Joe announces the first all-right handed, middle-aged, under-6 foot, brown-eyed team of players of half-Italian heritage.
Last edited by ABARedWhiteBlue on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Shouldn't the owner be Rico Suave?

Cincy_Monarchs_Fan
Site Admin

welcome

Post by Cincy_Monarchs_Fan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Welcome to the ABA Ricky Ricardo. "Lucy, you got some 'spailin' to do!"

nikki
Site Admin

Post by nikki » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:39 am

Reminds me of that scene on "Airplane" when the lady asks for something "light to read", so they give her a pamphlet size book of "Greatest American Jewish Sports Heroes".

The only book SMALLER than that would be "Greatest Hispanic NBA Stars". ...LOL....WTF!

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:25 am

So, on a whim I pulled up the news article I had linked back here regarding that track coach that wants to start both a men's and women's ABA team in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Much to my surprise, somebody apparently associated with the team posted some comments/responses to the folks that had commented earlier on the article...
Well I see the naysayers have gathered together. I'm saddened by some of the SLANDEROUS remarks used against my organization despite the fact we started operations on August 4th. No we are not the NBA. The NBA is a global organization that we don't compete with. That is because we are a COMMUNITY driven Minor league Basketball team.
This team in Grand Rapids that is "the lowest of the low" according to our informed reader has the potential to greatly increase the level of exposure for AREA athletes who would normally travel hundreds of miles just to have an opportunity. Not at their expense or the expense of a fan coming to watch a highly competitive basketball game, but in fact at the expense of guys like me who have made it PRO and dont mind putting up some money to get the ball rolling for a few guys around here that deserve a shot. You say(photoguy123) that a scam is about to take place. Id ask you to persoanlly come take a look at our proprietary information and tell me who is getting scammed and who is working hard to make the Grand Rapids Franchise the best in the midwest and the ABA. Countless ABA teams turned a profit last year and engaged entire communities with the only goal in mind to have a basketball team someone can be proud of and do what we LOVE! Ask the owner of the ABA champions Jacksonville Giants who flew up to Grand Rapids on his own Dollars to support and choose players from this area for his team including GVSU star James Thomas. If you really enjoy basketball and you want to see it happen why not support us and share your ideas and opinions with us in a positive manner rather then trying to sabotage our organization in a public format when really...you know absolutely nothing about what we do or who we are as individuals. I take offense to your "scam" comment but Im sure if you knew me then you would see that my intentions are to make Grand Rapids a home to a team we can a cherish and support by any means necessary and by all means LEGITIMATE. I hope you rethink your harsh words and learn to ask a few more questions. Either way I HEARD THERE IS A STORM COMING.....and not even you can stop that.

Adam "mile high" Chrisco
Director of Marketing/Forward
Grand Rapids Cyclones
And then the cherry on the topping, this guy replied to his own comment a short while later...
owned
Now, keep in mind, this article was originally posted on July 2nd. By the looks of the crude timestamps found on comments from that news site, this guy came and made his comments nearly two full months afterwards.
Last edited by newiflfan on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Man oh man........what planet is that owner living on?

I love this zinger.........."countless ABA teams turned a profit last year". A true double enterdre if ever there was one, however like most things ABAish, the real hilarity is in the unintended humour department.

COUNTLESS in the dictionary......."too many to count". However running the word COUNTLESS through the JoeSpeak5000 computer program that translates ABA speak into real English you get the follow, exactly opposite meaning..... COUNTLESS........you cannot COUNT any LESS than zero!!

If the Olympics offered a Gold Medal for unintended comedy, the ABA would be on the podium every single games. See, while he has been told (I prefer BS'ed) that countless teams turned a profit in the ABA last year, he doesn't quite grasp the actual meaning in ABA terms.

Like most lessons learned in the ABA, it will be a costly one.
Last edited by Paul S on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Looks like mlive.com wiped all the comments (or they have them hidden in such a way they're not immediately obvious).

And what is it with ABA owners and the Internet, exactly? Does Joe coach them all to be mean-spirited and overly defensive when posting?

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Grand Rapids Cyclones update, and it's something that sort of ticks me off. There were the couple of GR Press articles about the team, now a short radio interview:

http://www.espn961.com/cc-common/podcas ... 8_3884.mp3

One of the guys in this interview is the same guy referenced here. He certainly seems to be drinking the Joe Newman Kool Aid with every meal.

Here's why I say I get a little ticked off, there have been a couple newspaper articles about this team, and now there's this radio interview (the radio show, by the way, is one of the top-rated afternoon drive shows in the area)-- does anybody in the Grand Rapids media actually do any research on the ABA and the people associated with it? Quit making it seem like a legit league with legit teams.

Return to “ABA”