ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:25 am

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/072 ... 5997.shtml
Hoop Dawgz head to Athens
By ROGER CLARKSON - roger.clarkson@onlineathens.com
Published Friday, July 29, 2011
comments0
Minor league basketball is setting up shop in Athens.
The American Basketball Association's Athens Hoop Dawgz are in the initial stages of putting together a team for the upcoming season.
"Athens is a great location for basketball such as the ABA," Hoop Dawgz coach Lionel Garrett said. "It is a football town, which is great, so we want to bring a little basketball to town as well and complement what's going on with the teams at Georgia."
The Hoop Dawgz will play their games in Clarke Central High School's gym. The club will have an open tryout around the second weekend of September. Garrett anticipates training camp will open near the beginning of November and the season will start on Dec. 2. Dates are tentative.
The ABA has about 100 teams across North America. Athens is the fifth to be located in Georgia. The ABA combines rules from the NBA, FIBA and college. It also has a "3-D" rule that adds a point to any basket scored off of a turnover in the backcourt.
"The rules speed the game up and make the game a lot more entertaining for the fan," Garrett said. "The rules are also designed so teams can earn points off their defensive play. A lot of times you see a team score a lot of points, it's because they don't play any defense. The 3-D rule makes the game a lot more attractive."
Garrett, who played at Southern from 1975-1979 and most recently coached the WBA franchise Rome Gladiators, anticipates most of his players will have recently completed their college careers or have played in international and minor leagues.
"There are so many players, not just in this country, but in this area (Atlanta) and there are not enough jobs," Garrett said. "All the players have used up their college eligibility. A lot of the players have some international or D-League experience and they just float around to different leagues. I think people are going to be really surprised with the level of talent they'll see on the floor."
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 am

will it play in Peoria?

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x121 ... ury-update
MILWAUKEE —
Peoria’s newly formed professional basketball team, the Midwest Flames, has completed its tryouts and has assembled an 18-man roster comprised primarily of local former college players.

Former Bradley players Daniel Ruffin and Matt Salley are joined by other ex-college hoopsters Josh Edmonds (Quincy), DeAaron Williams (Northern Kentucky), Rodney Edgerson (Kentucky Wesleyan) and Quentin Edwards (Missouri Southern).

Also on the roster are Austin Andrews of Galesburg, Ben Egolf of Alaska, Alonzo Whitfield of Springfield, Josh Wagner of Roanoke, Chris Tarpley and Tyler Moretto of Pekin and Peorians Justin Giles, Mike Gills, Brent Jones, DeAndre Miranda, Ahmid Palmer and Terrance Smith.

Training camp begins in early November when the roster will be trimmed to 15. Then it’s down to 10 for the ABA’s opening day rosters in December.

“I’m happy about the talent,” said Flames coach A.J. Guyton. “We’ll be a little bit small, but we have good overall size with our guards and forwards. We’ll be an uptempo team. I think we’ll be fine.”

Only three players are 6-foot-6 or taller — Egolf, at 6-10 the older brother of BU forward Will Egolf along with 6-7 Salley and 6-6 Miranda.

Guyton said that sponsorships and investors are coming along, but more are needed. The biggest issue right now is finding a home to play.

“We’re working with ICC for our games, but it‘s a complicated process because all the (basketball) teams play at the same time of year,” he said. “We’ll have our practices at local high schools.”
The biggest issue right now is finding a home to play.

“We’re working with ICC for our games, but it‘s a complicated process because all the (basketball) teams play at the same time of year,” he said. “We’ll have our practices at local high schools.”
- I'll say it again; if you have no venue in place, you have NO TEAM.

Did they just discover that there is other basketball being played during, um, BASKETBALL season?
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:43 pm

http://abalive.com/aba-featured-news/ab ... ion-teams/

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today announced that it has added Calgary Canada to its growing list of expansion teams for the 2012 season. "The new Calgary Crush will be a part of the fast-growing Pacific Northwest Division," stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO. "And they will actually play a few games this season against our Washington teams. We are very excited to have Salman Rashidian as part of the ABA. He has both great basketball experience and business experience and he is getting into the ABA for all of the right reasons. Just a wonderful addition to the league."

Salman Rashidian played basketball for 14 years in Calgary for Team Alberta West, where he helped win a Provincial Championship and was selected in the top 20 players in Calgary in 1998-1999. And at the age of 19, he was the youngest ever pizza franchise owner. "I am very familiar with the commitment it takes to own and operate a successful business of any nature," stated Rashidian. "My passion for the game of basketball has always been above and beyond. Our sole intention of bringing an ABA team to Calgary, Ab Canada is to build basketball awareness for our youth and to promote basketball to our community by selecting local players to be a part of our professional team. Our organization is committed to excellence on and off the court."

The head coach/GM of the team will be Greg Smith who was raised in Canmore, Alberta where he played and coached youth basketball for six years before moving onto Calgary where he has been coaching high school basketball for the past three years winning a city championship in his first season. "I am excited to bring my knowledge of the game to professional basketball," added Smith. "Our talent will consist of players who have played at college or university level. The Calgary Crush will also provide coaches and officials an opportunity to be involved in the game at an elite level. We're excited."

For more information, call 403 681 8739 or email calgarycrush@gmail.com or visit http://www.calgarycrush.com or http://www.abalive.com.
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:54 am

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]but it‘s a complicated process[/quote]

No it isn't. If you have $$$, you can afford a decent venue. If you don't, then it becomes a complicated process.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:37 am

another team still looking for a basket to shoot at in a real game...

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /108120321
ABA team makes first hire

By Scott Linesburgh
Record Staff Writer
August 12, 2011 12:00 AM

STOCKTON - The Port City Pirates have hired their first coach but are still working on a place to play.

Ronny Hagan, owner of Stockton's new American Basketball Association franchise, announced on Thursday he had signed former NBA player Wallace Bryant to coach the Pirates. Bryant coached the ABA's California SeaKings of Monterey last season and will hold Port City's first tryout on Aug. 27 at Stockton Arena.

The Pirates are set to open the season Nov. 17 when they visit the San Francisco Rumble, and their home opener is scheduled for Nov. 19 against the East Bay Pit Bulls. Stockton Arena still is Hagan's top choice for a home facility, and he said he believes he will come to a deal with the city.

Arena manager Mike Cera confirmed he has had talks with Hagan, who wants a long-term contract, but still is gathering information. He said the contract would have to be approved by the city manager and city council.

"We've sat down with Ronny and discussed it," Cera said. "As managers, we want to make sure there's a viable long-term plan for success, and we're going through the process."

Hagan said the Pirates will play in Stockton this season, and he has considered some other venues if the arena plan doesn't come to fruition.

"But I'm really very confident we'll play at the arena," Hagan said. "It would have to be something huge that came up, which I don't anticipate."

Hagan said Bryant was his top choice for coach. The 7-foot Bryant, 51, played at USF and was a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Bulls in 1982. He played three seasons in the NBA with Chicago, Dallas and the Los Angeles Clippers before going to Europe. He retired in 1991 and plans to move to Stockton and get involved in the community.

"We hit it off right away. I like his work ethic and energy, and he wants to do things the right way," Hagan said.

Bryant said having played professionally will help him relate to the players.

"They look forward to learning from you because of that. It kind of builds a level of respect," Bryant said. "And you go out and show that you respect them and care for them, and they'll play hard for you."

The tryouts will be from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. at the arena and are open to the public. The fee is $100, and players must register in advance.

For information, contact Hagan at (209) 609-6491 or theportcitypirates@yahoo.com.

Contact reporter Scott Linesburgh at (209) 546-8281 or slinesburgh@recordnet.com.
Redux - if you don't have a venue, you don't have a franchise.

And even more fun - but so typically Newman-esque - is that the league (or someone; could be anybody, really) has put together a schedule with dates for teams that HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THEY MIGHT PLAY, AND WHAT DATES ARE AVAILABLE.

And the hits just keep on comin'.........

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:46 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]And even more fun - but so typically Newman-esque - is that the league (or someone; could be anybody, really) has put together a schedule with dates for teams that HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THEY MIGHT PLAY, AND WHAT DATES ARE AVAILABLE.[/quote]

Gee, why would that be a problem? After all, the ABA is such a valuable commodity that any arena would gladly drop whatever was scheduled in order to take the dates that the ABA assigned them...

*cough*

That look into the mind of an ABA owner was brought to you by the letter "D", as in Delusional.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:13 pm

And this is one of the standards that I want implemented with the UBFA certification...

A team will have to submit an annual lease contract or agreement. We have to know that a team has a place to call home!
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:02 am

http://www.ktuu.com/sports/ktuu-alaska- ... 5729.story
Alaska Quake Bring ABA Back To Anchorage.

By Charlie Sokaitis
Channel 2 Sports
2:34 p.m. AKDT, August 17, 2011

ANCHORAGE, Alaska—
Alaska already has a highly successful pro hockey team in the form of the 2011 Kelly Cup Champion Aces and now it looks like the state is going to get a semi-pro basketball team.

The Alaska Quake are set to compete in the ABA during this upcoming season.

This is not the first attempt to bring a higher level of hoops to the 49th state. Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s the Anchorage Northern Knights competed in the EBA and CBA for a 5 year stretch. A power every year, the Knights won the championship in the 79-80 season.

More recently fans may, or may not, remember the Alaska Dream, an attempt in 2008 to start an ABA franchise in Anchorage. The team won a 3 game preseason tournament held in Fairbanks, but never made it to the regular season. The Dream folded before the year officially began due to financial woes.

Co-CEO of the Quake, Carrol Taylor, believes that this attempt to bring the ABA to Alaska will succeed where the Dream failed. Instead of trying to fill the Sullivan Arena the team will play at Begich Middle school.

The Quake will be run as a non-profit. Taylor says the team has overcome some other key hurdles, as well.

"The problem previously was the cost of travel, which we were able to have resolved," Taylor said.

The season is set to run from December into March with 14 home games scheduled, but before the first bucket is scored a team needs to be assembled.

Tryouts will be held on August 27 and 28 at Clark Middle School from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Taylor says the Quake are looking to start year one with a decidedly local flavor, "were actually looking for Alaska players this year, were looking for 12 basketball players."

Copyright © 2011, KTUU-TV
"The problem previously was the cost of travel, which we were able to have resolved," Taylor said.

Where have I read that before??

Here:
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3674598
The state of Alaska and the city of Anchorage, fans and sponsors all want the team here, but the problem has been finding a plan to reduce the cost of travel, and we believe we have accomplished that. It will be affordable for ABA teams to visit here
Joe's input:
The problem has been transportation. We believe that has been worked out
Gee, Joe was wrong.

But that was only one time that a travel deal that was promised for a far-flung team didn't materialize, right.....

Ummm, nope...
3/20/05
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... sp12p.html
We have had great interest from the great state of Hawai'i and the city of Honolulu for quite some time — but the problem has been transportation," Newman said in a press release. "The wonderful ownership group, headed by Orrys Williams, has overcome that final obstacle."

1/13/08:
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3739683
"Hawaii was one of the most popular cities ever in the ABA, the backing was tremendous, but we could not get over the hurdle of travel expenses. Thanks to LaShun McDaniel, part of the new ownership group, that problem has been solved and we will return next season.
1/28/09:
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3770168
our mainland teams loved going there, but transportation was a problem. We finally have it worked out - and we are thrilled to be back there.
You'll forgive me if I don't invest in a season-ticket package for the Quake just yet.......

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:25 am

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]another team still looking for a basket to shoot at in a real game...

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /108120321

Redux - if you don't have a venue, you don't have a franchise.

And even more fun - but so typically Newman-esque - is that the league (or someone; could be anybody, really) has put together a schedule with dates for teams that HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THEY MIGHT PLAY, AND WHAT DATES ARE AVAILABLE.

And the hits just keep on comin'.........[/quote]

Two weeks later....

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /108280320
Putting together the Pirates
Area's newest team holds first tryouts

By Dave Campbell
Record Correspondent
August 28, 2011 12:00 AM
STOCKTON - Ronny Hagan has big plans for the Port City Pirates, but first he needs some players.

Hagan, the owner of the latest addition to the NorCal division of the American Basketball Association, and coach Wallace Bryant held tryouts Saturday at Stockton Arena.

"We are going to have a great team this year," said Hagan, whose team will be one of approximately 90 in the national professional league. "I don't want to overstate what we have, but we have some talent."

The season will run from mid-November through March and will culminate with an NCAA-style single-elimination tournament, complete with a Final Four. Other teams in the NorCal division include Richmond, San Francisco, East Bay (Pleasanton), Modesto and Sacramento.

Charged with bringing the Pirates together is Bryant, a former NBA and international player.

"A lot of guys came in here in great shape so we do not have to worry about getting them in shape and I am excited about that," Bryant said. "We have a lot of talent here, but some of the guys are a little nervous on the shooting end of it."

Thirty players paid the $100 fee to try out, and that number will be cut in half for the next selection phase in September.

"Out of the 30 or so, we will have 12 or 15 coming back," Bryant said. "We will combine those with players I already know and some veterans, so by the time we start I will probably travel with 10 or 11 and keep 12 to 14 or maybe even 15."

An imposing figure at 7 feet, Bryant played in the NBA with the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks and Los Angeles Clippers before going overseas.

"I am just here to give back and teach these guys the proper way to play," Bryant said.

Myree Bowden, who graduated from Pacific in 2005 and has since played with the Harlem Golbetrotters, did not look like he had missed a step from his Big West championship days as a Tiger.

"Today is a new experience," Bowden said. "We have talent here in Stockton, and this is giving us a chance to showcase it. Hopefully we will be able to play in front of our home town. There are some people here with something to prove and they are going all in."

Former Franklin High standout Andre Davis, who graduated in 2003, was one of the many locals hoping to extend their careers.

"I came out here today to try out for the team and get a good workout in," Davis said. "There is some good competition out here with Aaron Stallworth - who graduated with me from Franklin in 2003 - as well as some guys from rival schools."

The Pirates are scheduled to open league play Nov. 17 on the road against the San Francisco Rumble, with the home opener Nov. 19 against the East Bay Pit Bulls. Port City's home venue has yet to be confirmed.
Port City's home venue has yet to be confirmed.

Great business plan so far.... :rolleyes:

Emerson
Site Admin

Post by Emerson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:03 am

Lima, OH – 2011 Indiana Tech graduates James Hicks and Clyde McKinney have signed with the Lima Explosion of the American Basketball Association. The Lima Explosion, based out of Lima, Ohio, is an expansion franchise of the ABA and will begin play in the 2011 season under the direction of Head Coach Quincey Simpson.

During their senior campaigns at Indiana Tech, Hicks and McKinney helped lead the Warriors to a 22-11 overall record, with an NAIA Top 25 ranking as high as #15, and a trip to the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference Tournament Championship game. Despite falling to eventual national champions Cornerstone University in that game, Tech completed one of the best turnarounds in the nation with 11 more wins than the previous year.

In the 2010-11 season, McKinney led the Warriors offensively averaging 14.2 points per game and knocking down almost 45 percent of his shots from three-point range, which ranked him 5th in NAIA Division II. The Second Team All-Conference guard was also one of the WHAC’s top scoring threats, finishing in the top-5 in scoring with 471 points.

Hicks was a standout defender during his time with the Warriors. The WHAC All-Defensive team member was an integral part of a Tech defense that was one of the best units in the country. The Warriors ranked 1st in scoring defense per game, holding opponents to just 58 points per game, and ranked 2nd in total rebound defense (29.7). Tech was also top-20 in field goal percent defense with opponents shooting a paltry .408. Hicks was one of the conference’s top shot blockers, finishing his senior year with 67, which ranked 7th in the country. The 6’7” center was also a terrific rebounder, grabbing 221 boards with an average of 6.7 per contest.

On signing with the Explosion, Hicks said, “Receiving the chance to play at a higher level is a great opportunity and a blessing from God. Not everybody gets that opportunity to even be considered a pro athlete. It feels extremely good due to the fact that I have been contemplating on playing pro ball since I could remember. All the hard work and extra time put in is finally paying off.” Hicks added, “I just would like to continue to advance my level of play towards the NBA. This league is just a stepping stone and a networking outlook to get my name out there even more. I look forward to using my leadership skills I’ve incorporated here at Tech at the next level and developing my game to another level.”
He's got it as bad as John Bell.. Maybe worse..

Return to “ABA”