ABA is yours, Fix the ABA

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Darrenpuppa
Site Admin

delete

Post by Darrenpuppa » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm

delete....
Last edited by Darrenpuppa on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PikevilleOT
Site Admin

Post by PikevilleOT » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Hey Junior,

Why would any of us want to bail out Joe with our insightfulness? This is hilarious for a ABA board member to publicly ask for assistance to improve and change the existing product. There are 2 years of posts here that have been ignored with valid ideas and suggestions to improve the current product.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 pm

Specifically? Turn out the lights. Party's over.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:45 pm

I would continue to let teams play this current schedule until they fail to meet a road obligation or, heaven forfend, a home obligation. Failure means immediate removal from the schedule, immediate removal from the league, and the team in question would have to rejoin under the new admission plan put in place. I would have an eight team playoff over a three day weekend for the championship, all on the home court of the team with the best record. I would not have an all-star game.

I would vet the organizations to determine who had financial backing, cash flow, satistfactory lease agreements, and attendence. Teams in decent shape but lacking the right size venue would be ordered to find a more suitable place to play. I wouldn't want any team playing in a venue that can hold more than approximately 5K as the interest just isn't there.

I would increase league fees (to assure that the league could pay for referees, all star and playoff events, and the like) and have the teams put up performance bonds. I would organize the remaining teams, if there are any, in regional clusters that could do long drives to games and have the teams only play in their cluster to minimize costs. I would have the league absorb travel costs and the provision of uniforms and coordinate and standardize all team websites (yes, I am swiping from the PBL playbook).

I would agressively market the league, starting with the ball, the one asset that still has some good will and recognition. I would not market rocks, vacation trips, sales seminars, or egg sandwiches.

There are probably a lot of holes in there, but that's what I would do.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:56 pm

This would have been a bit easier one year ago when the ABA had a strong core of teams in the Northeast. Now, where would you start? Usually a good first step is to get rid of the weak ownership, but if you do that in the ABA, you're left with a Swiss cheese league going coast-to-coast with exorbitant travel, which would likely kill off even the relatively strong teams.

I guess you could try to mandate some standards, but different people have been trying to do that for years in the ABA. How do you enforce them? You can't just kick out teams at this point because then you're back to Swiss cheese. Teams still do not adhere to the schedule, many do not keep stats, and we don't even know the league schedule more than a week-and-a-half into the season.

The ABA has some good people involved, but one has to wonder if it is beyond saving.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:18 pm

[quote=""preeths""]This would have been a bit easier one year ago when the ABA had a strong core of teams in the Northeast. Now, where would you start? Usually a good first step is to get rid of the weak ownership, but if you do that in the ABA, you're left with a Swiss cheese league going coast-to-coast with exorbitant travel, which would likely kill off even the relatively strong teams.

I guess you could try to mandate some standards, but different people have been trying to do that for years in the ABA. How do you enforce them? You can't just kick out teams at this point because then you're back to Swiss cheese. Teams still do not adhere to the schedule, many do not keep stats, and we don't even know the league schedule more than a week-and-a-half into the season.

The ABA has some good people involved, but one has to wonder if it is beyond saving.[/quote]

The problem is that there is no structure in the ABA to protect the teams from themselves. In the best of all possible worlds, the ABA could play all their games and get through an entire season without any drama - as long as all the teams in the league do EVERYTHING they're supposed to do (i.e., travel to all their road games). The minute one team fails to do so, then it causes a ripple effect of teams folding and crashing.

This happens every year. And the teams that ARE doing the right thing in the ABA are getting sick of all the shenanigans. So for them, it's the D-League, the CBA or the PBL. Or maybe the NPBL or the EBA.

This leaves Joe Newman with teams that are woefully inept, who think that the ABA will bail them out during the season as long as they pay their one-time $10,000 fee up front.

The god's honest truth is that the ABA is really beyond saving. Right now all we have are the loopy press releases from the Georgia Gwizzlies, Larry Leonard's Niedermeyer-ish claim that "All is well, everyone remain calm," and teams that are added and subtracted quicker than a calculator with a leaky power source.

Give the ABA the Old Yeller retirement plan.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:04 pm

"Fix" the ABA? You mean, like Bob Barker would? I'm all for that...
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 pm

If you talk to a1sports, Vermont winning the title was already a "fix."
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:16 am

Continue allowing in anyone with a 10k check
Continue to allow teams to miss scheduled games
Continue to allow Joe to give himself and others carte blanche'

or wait...................what we'd do to fix it. I'm sorry

How about having teams complete a full schedule. That'll be a start.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:43 am

Haven't we been here before?

//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/showthread.php?t=8601

and this...

//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/showthread.php?t=9667

Not much has changed for this season. However, the core of teams has
moved from the Northeast, to the South and Texas (in particular).

Let's see if this batch of owners can ignore the lack of leadership and just
play the games.

The lack of a schedule and statistics for the few games played so far on ABAlive,
doesn't help the cause.

Not to mention that the league now needs an acting COO.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Return to “ABA”