The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Larry, give me a call anytime.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:24 pm

If I were in a real league, and the schedule was treated as such, I'd have called a meeting already to fire the commissioner... preferably over charcoal on one of those huge grills.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:41 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]It was revealed that the Travelers were a team that plays as high school or college teams for the film industry down here. Apparently on the show One Tree Hill (which is filmed here but I don't watch), they have basketball games as backdrop.[/quote]

Hey, what a great gig. I know that Wilmington is the film capitol of the Carolinas, although we're trying to catch up here in the Triad. We've had two football movies, Leatherheads and The 5th Quarter, which is filming right now.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:42 pm

[quote=""cglue""]The fact that 11 days has passed and no schedule, right now thats cool with me considering the enormous hurddle that we had to jump. And after all that we are still playing our games. Schedules have been submitted and will be out soon. Was waiting on our annual talk paul but havent heard from in a while bro. And dont give me that Ive been busy line either, hell I have too. LOL

No but for real, we will have the schedule out soon and then see what will unfold this season.[/quote]

Yeah, considering that the league you play in isn't even concerned enough to put the results of the games that were actually played on their website:

http://www.abalive.com/schedule/index.html?act[v]=list

That's lots of support from your ABA CEO. I guess he's too busy trying to figure out how to distance himself from the Quentin Townsend mess. I wonder if he can hire Bill Corona or Paul Allsup to smooth over all this.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:43 pm

[quote=""cglue""]The fact that 11 days has passed and no schedule, right now thats cool with me [/quote]

That means, unfortunately, that you're part of the problem.

When Joe didn't put out a schedule,
I remained silent;
I provided a home game for my fans.
When they didn't put scores on the web site,
I remained silent;
The people who came knew the score.

When they told the referees to take less money,
I did not speak out;
I was not a referee.

When Vermont and Halifax and other teams bolted,
I remained silent;
I was in Houston.

When the league president was arrested,
I remained silent;
I wasn't getting divorced and wouldn't get ratted out by my estranged wife.

When game time came for me,
there was no one left for me to play.

(with apologies to Pastor Martin Niemöller)
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:46 pm

[quote=""cglue""]The fact that 11 days has passed and no schedule, right now thats cool with me considering the enormous hurddle that we had to jump. And after all that we are still playing our games. Schedules have been submitted and will be out soon. Was waiting on our annual talk paul but havent heard from in a while bro. And dont give me that Ive been busy line either, hell I have too. LOL

No but for real, we will have the schedule out soon and then see what will unfold this season.[/quote]

Larry,

I just want to know how you can be "cool" with the fact the league doesn't have a schedule and the season has already started. Just about every league, including Little Leagues, have their schedules out MONTHS before the season even starts.

How can you justify this? Will you play all 30 games and will you play them against ABA opponents?
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

cglue
Site Admin

Help Me Out Here!!!!

Post by cglue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:46 pm

[quote=""formerlyknownasfells""]Larry,

I just want to know how you can be "cool" with the fact the league doesn't have a schedule and the season has already started. Just about every league, including Little Leagues, have their schedules out MONTHS before the season even starts.

How can you justify this? Will you play all 30 games and will you play them against ABA opponents?[/quote]

You report what has happen to Q and then ask me how to justify this?

You cant justify anything, all you can do is pick up the pieces and move forward. I cant dwell on what just happen and stay in quicksand and die. I feel that I have to step up and do what I can to service this league to get things moving in the right direction. If I dont remain cool then everyone on my ship will start pushing the panic button and I cant afford that. But what I can do is step up if Im needed and help out the best that I can. Complaining isnt going to do anything but confuse and make matters worst.
"This Time It's Personal"
http://www.houstontakers.com

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:52 am

[quote=""cglue""]You report what has happen to Q and then ask me how to justify this?

You cant justify anything, all you can do is pick up the pieces and move forward. I cant dwell on what just happen and stay in quicksand and die. I feel that I have to step up and do what I can to service this league to get things moving in the right direction. If I dont remain cool then everyone on my ship will start pushing the panic button and I cant afford that. But what I can do is step up if Im needed and help out the best that I can. Complaining isnt going to do anything but confuse and make matters worst.[/quote]

I do actually. The schedule should have been done months before Mr. Townsend was sued, subsequently arrested, and then admitted guilt as part of a settlement agreement. One does not have to do with the other.
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:33 pm

I have to agree with Chris on this one. The schedule should have been completed months, or at the very least weeks, before the season opener. Mr. Townsend wasn't arrested until, what was it, the day before the ABA opener? This can't all be laid at his feet, either. The schedule has been a problem for years because of the nomadic tendencies of its teams, not lack of organization on the part of the schedule maker.

It is time some people within the league started complaining, and complaining loudly, about the constant state of flux the league schedule is always in. Larry, I applaud you for stepping up and helping out, but there are some bare minimum standards to which all professional leagues should adhere. Providing a reliable schedule is one. We're about to hit our third weekend of league action, and the ABA still does not have a season schedule available.

cglue
Site Admin

Trust Me I Understand

Post by cglue » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:17 pm

[quote=""preeths""]I have to agree with Chris on this one. The schedule should have been completed months, or at the very least weeks, before the season opener. Mr. Townsend wasn't arrested until, what was it, the day before the ABA opener? This can't all be laid at his feet, either. The schedule has been a problem for years because of the nomadic tendencies of its teams, not lack of organization on the part of the schedule maker.

It is time some people within the league started complaining, and complaining loudly, about the constant state of flux the league schedule is always in. Larry, I applaud you for stepping up and helping out, but there are some bare minimum standards to which all professional leagues should adhere. Providing a reliable schedule is one. We're about to hit our third weekend of league action, and the ABA still does not have a season schedule available.[/quote]

You are correct concerning the timing of the schedules and I dont think anyone is using Q as a scapegoat here. There were prblems before Q's situation with the travel intinerary and questionable teams. This is the first time ever due diligence has carried through and so we had to adjust to that. Yes it was a TOTALLY late for that and Im sure there is blame that laid around the room.

But with that being said, I dont think we are running from the truth about the schedule. We had to correct it and now post it, but everyone is working together and hard to to move quickly in that direction.

Again, this has no blame on Q, just the fact that that were major concerns for a while and we stepped in and fixed it.

Paul, did you recieve the email of the ticket that I sent you? Some people have been saying that it has taken a while and I just want to make sure that I take care of my good friend.
Last edited by cglue on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This Time It's Personal"
http://www.houstontakers.com

Return to “ABA”