Premature Move Fells

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:52 pm

[quote=""cglue""]No hole here bro, its done all the time in the college ranks and why is that, to generate money, an exciting game that can turn into rival situation and just to play someone else who would never be on the schedule if not requested. Do you really think that Conference USA really had Grambling State to play U of H in their plans five years before it happened? Let alone two? Let me answer that for you, no. They negotiated it in the offseason and got it done because it was a good look(wrong timing) but a good look. Hell you had Grambling Alumni from the class of Hariet Tubman at that game and of course we lost but it was good seeing us play and fellowship together.

The league does make final decisions on schedules but we can put in our two cents if we want to play outside our division if we like. Whats wrong with that? Do you think its a coincidence that the Raiders play the 49ers every preseason for the last few years now.

Its just to haave some fun and bring excitement to the league and fans across the nation.

cglue[/quote]

This is not college basketball...this is supposed to be pro basketball where all games are supposed to count. Plus...college basketball teams eventually play a balanced conference schedule which, for the most part, decides who makes the NCAA tournament. There is absolutely nothing balanced about an ABA schedule.

By the way, concerning another post...a legitimate league would HOPE and PRAY that it's owners are worth much more than $250K....that's why teams in this league die quicker than my son's goldfish...

cglue
Site Admin

But......

Post by cglue » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:59 pm

If understod my business plan then you would understand why and 250k net worth isnt too bad with this economy right now anyway. Hell thats my net worth right now, so what are you saying? Please dont answer, its just a joke.

cglue
"This Time It's Personal"
http://www.houstontakers.com

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:24 pm

[quote=""cglue""]If understod my business plan then you would understand why and 250k net worth isnt too bad with this economy right now anyway. [/quote]

It's great as long as you're not pretending to own what's supposed to be a professional sports team.

Unless you're using OPM.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

cglue
Site Admin

High so High

Post by cglue » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:14 pm

Man I will forever get high on OPM!!!!!!!!

cglue

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:25 pm

[quote=""cglue""]All I can go by is what I am told and I dont repeat it until I have seen it. This team in nashville had a benefit game where the city actually ran out of gas and they still had 2000 people to come out and watch a good game. There is nothing wrong with that picture or the fans for that matter. Now if you spin this and find something wrong with it, then please relinquish Joe Newman whom is called the "Greatest Spinner Of All TIIIMMMEEE" and place that mantle on you.

This guy in Nashville is running a good ship and I am excited that he is.

Oh if it was up to me, your budget for the season would be the same for all teams, a salary cap in place, the owners net worth of at least 250k and you only MAYbe have to spend 10k of your own money.

Private message me and I will go in detail.

cglue[/quote]

An off season benefit game from a team that has yet to travel or fund a season is being used as an example of the ability to make money in the ABA???? (Remember, that's how this subthread got started.)

How about an example of any team ever in the ABA that has made money? That seems to be what is being sold to those reserving ABA markets so I would think it is reasonable to ask for one financial success story since the league has been around 8 years.

Granted, it's a good sign if true that their benefit game drew 10 times standard league attendance. But let's not confuse that with financial success.

I only pick on the ABA here because they seem to be the ones selling magic beans.

Maybe putting only 10k of your own money in? What most would have considered the "successful" ABA teams were putting in hundreds of thousands to achieve that success.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:05 pm

And I would disqualify the Heaves from any list of positive examples, bankroll or otherwise.

It is obvious that they went about things using their own agenda, and not via the Joe Newman method.

And since they were such lousy people and won't be misssed by the ABA, they don't really count anyway, do they? :p
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:47 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]And I would disqualify the Heaves from any list of positive examples, bankroll or otherwise.

It is obvious that they went about things using their own agenda, and not via the Joe Newman method.[/quote]

And they, uh, succeeded, am I right?

Is there a lesson in there somewhere?
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:39 pm

[quote=""cglue""]Joe and Dick are still majority shareholders and they have not traded in their shares for cash because it has no value now and it would jepordized their majority postion. Just because you have a million shares doesnt just mean you can get paid when ever, they have to be worth something. You can collaterize your shares or trade them in for cash but again, if they arent worth anything then you just have a gang of shares worth only pennies.

cglue[/quote]

Larry - I realize that Joe and Dick are sitting on about one million-odd shares of a penny stock but where is the seed money??

When the ABA went private the initial share offering was used to drum up cash? When a company goes from private to public the owners of the compan are 'expected' to churn the money from the IPO into the business so it can grow and the growth can reward the investors/shareholders.

Where did the seed money go?

I understand that Joe on his conference calls says he is "stuck" with this stock but he initially offered out for sale at a much higher price. His 250K salary and expense paid trips to Quebec City and Burlington x 8 years are starting to add up.

Anyways..................again, I'm being redundant. I think Joe's initial idea of the ABA is sound but the execution has been sub par. Sounds like things are pointed in the right direction.
But lets clarify that...............it SOUNDS like things are pointed in the right direction. Joe and the ABA has been saying that for years. SHOW US.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

cglue
Site Admin

Cant Explain

Post by cglue » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:58 am

I dont have a connect with Joe on how he works the public company's business. All I am doing is trying to get us ready down here and have a productive season. I finally have teams in my division to play and really would like to finish it at the top of the league. Wish us luck.

cglue

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:36 am

[quote=""cglue""]All I am doing is trying to get us ready down here and have a productive season. I finally have teams in my division to play and really would like to finish it at the top of the league. Wish us luck.[/quote]

Good luck to you Larry.

Question for you though ...
... In additional news, tickets to the big pre-season exhibition game (November 15th) with the Streetball Legends will be available this week when the new Houston Takers website is launched ..."
Why are you classifying the game on the 15th of November as a "pre-season exhibition game" when the ABA season starts on November 8th :confused:

http://www.knoxvillethunderbolts.com/schedule.html

http://www.nashvillebroncs.com/11.php
Last edited by The Magician on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “ABA”