Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:19 pm

Wow ... Down to 38 teams.

Three more teams depart the ABA:

Texas City Rangers
Kentucky Warriors
Savannah Pride

Sure Sure, they are going to be expansion teams for 2009-2010 :rolleyes:

It's amazing how a league can lose over 25 teams from just last season ...
Last edited by The Magician on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cglue
Site Admin

Texas City

Post by cglue » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Watch yourself bro, Texas City was affected by hurricane IKE and the facility that they had an agreement in place isnt opperable. And then on top of that, the businesses that were sponsoring are now businessless because they were wiped out. I get sensitive on issues like these because you say things that you dont know or understand and then hide behind your names.

You see what I dont understand is we are now doing what some of you requested and still getting bashed for it. We are making sure that we play 100% of our games and just a little hint that things arent ready then we have to make moves. Understand one thing, we are not losing teams, we are cleaning this league up and getting ready for 100% compliance to our schedule.

cglue
"This Time It's Personal"
http://www.houstontakers.com

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:24 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]

Like Runninref said, if it's packaged properly and appropriately priced, people will support it. [/quote]

I think history proves otherwise.

Unless you're going to tell me that nearly everybody who's ever tried this has gone about it the wrong way, and that there's some magic formula that they're all simply neglecting to follow.

As for college hoops, 35 million people went to games last year. Across all divisions, they averaged 5,524 per game. That's waaaaaaay more than attend minor league basketball games in most places. Plus, you know your local college team isn't going to fold or move anytime soon. To say that the appeal of college basketball and its widespread availability hasn't impacted minor league basketball in this country is to ignore the obvious.

Minor league baseball works. It has a longer history (in the public's mind) than college baseball and is played at a higher level. College basketball is seen by many (if not most) as more worthwhile as a spectator sport and something that they have a passion for. They'll cheer for Duke (or South Florida or BYU) today just like they did when they were in college. You don't get that with pro minor league basketball.

Its historically fly-by-night nature hasn't helped, either. But to say that college isn't a factor because only Kentucky, North Carolina, Syracuse and Tennessee draw 20k+ per game, well...I don't know quite what to say to that. Except that I don't agree. At all.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:29 pm

[quote=""cglue""]Watch yourself bro, Texas City was affected by hurricane IKE and the facility that they had an agreement in place isnt opperable. And then on top of that, the businesses that were sponsoring are now businessless because they were wiped out. I get sensitive on issues like these because you say things that you dont know or understand and then hide behind your names. [/quote]

Watch myself :confused: ... Don't understand things :confused: ... Hide behind my name :confused:

I don't believe my post discredited or discounted the Texas City Rangers.

And believe me, I'm all about the facts.

And the fact is here ... These teams are not playing this year.

And keep the EXPANSION discussions within the confines of the league.

We don't really expect any of those EXPANSION teams to return.

The current ABA history reflects that.
Last edited by The Magician on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 pm

Although I don't think the Magician is dispariging anyone................

CGlue does have a valid point. For years we have been saying the ABA needs to cut the dead wood and jettison some teams BEFORE the season starts. WHen they finally get a guy named Q to do it.............we mock them for losing teams.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:42 pm

I wouldn't mock them for losing teams. They should, realistically, cut about 3/4ths of the teams they have right now. I'd applaud them for that, not mock them.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:45 pm

[quote=""cglue""]Watch yourself bro, Texas City was affected by hurricane IKE and the facility that they had an agreement in place isnt opperable. And then on top of that, the businesses that were sponsoring are now businessless because they were wiped out. I get sensitive on issues like these because you say things that you dont know or understand and then hide behind your names.

You see what I dont understand is we are now doing what some of you requested and still getting bashed for it. We are making sure that we play 100% of our games and just a little hint that things arent ready then we have to make moves. Understand one thing, we are not losing teams, we are cleaning this league up and getting ready for 100% compliance to our schedule.

cglue[/quote]

Hey Guys:

Cglue said something that I haven't seen from the past from the ABA. He said "100% compliance to our schedule". Believe it or not, i don't recall ever hearing that specifically as a goal of the ABA, and I personally think it is one of the most important goals. Last i recall, the league actually said the schedule didn't matter. (somebody check me.) We won't be able to grade this until the end of season (sorry, cglue, the animals will not give you credit until it is proven), but if they pull it off it will be the first step in the right direction in 8 years. We'll have to wait and see. cglue, why aren't you ceo?

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:03 am

[quote=""Paul S""]CGlue does have a valid point. For years we have been saying the ABA needs to cut the dead wood and jettison some teams BEFORE the season starts. WHen they finally get a guy named Q to do it.............we mock them for losing teams.[/quote]

Actually I applaud "Q" for narrowing down ...

Who I mock, is the ABA CEO. Because without him from the very beginning, the ABA wouldn't be in the straits that it is in today.

The league wouldn't have had to lose over 200 teams and be in a position to continuously spend hours upon weeks upon seasons to try to fix things.

If the ABA had only 5 ultra-solid organizations in the league, I'm for it.

But the current ABA CEO thinks they need to be some kind of Global Basketball Association ... Yet the ABA is penny-less.

The ABA needs to get back to the basics.

And I guess ... Narrowing down will continue to mean, allowing the ABA CEO to add yet another team (Salt Lake City Dreams) to the league at the very last minute? And they are a 100% ready to go???
Last edited by The Magician on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: There's a method to my madness ...

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:15 am

In all fairness...teams are dropping out, but...it IS BEFORE the season starts. So long as teams don't drop out IN SEASON...the ABA is moving in the right direction...I doubt that will be the case, but heck, even if a bare minimum drop out, that would be good.

The jury is still out on that, though! Cglue is on point...100% compliance schedule-wise. Let's go bro...make us proud!

By the way...I need to talk with you sometime Larry...
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

cglue
Site Admin

Im very Sincere When I say THIS

Post by cglue » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:21 am

[quote=""The Magician""]Actually I applaud "Q" for narrowing down ...

Who I mock, is the ABA CEO. Because without him from the very beginning, the ABA wouldn't be in the straits that it is in today.

The league wouldn't have had to lose over 200 teams and be in a position to continuously spend hours upon weeks upon seasons to try to fix things.

If the ABA had only 5 ultra-solid organizations in the league, I'm for it.

But the current ABA CEO thinks they need to be some kind of Global Basketball Association ... Yet the ABA is penny-less.

The ABA needs to get back to the basics.

And I guess ... Narrowing down will continue to mean, allowing the ABA CEO to add yet another team (Salt Lake City Dreams) to the league at the very last minute? And they are a 100% ready![/quote]

I was molested 29 years ago by my babysitter who was a dude.

I wish then I would have bit his @$#%# off!!!!!

But guess what, Im now 34 and its really nothing I can do about it now but be a better man and inform and to continue to be a blessing to kids and parents. It still affects me a little bit so when I design a house for a family who wants a 2 story house. I just simply make sure that there are 2 bedrooms downstairs and make the guess bedroom so pimping that you would be stupid to sleep walk.

My point is this. We cant do anything about the past but allow it to be lessons to better tomorrow. Look at whats ahead and see the tiny steps, thats all Im saying.

I still remain,

cglue
Last edited by cglue on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This Time It's Personal"
http://www.houstontakers.com

Return to “ABA”