The Showboats Grammar thread....

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:36 am

is scheduled for Sunday October 19, 2008 at 5pm-8pm
So the game starts at 5pm-8pm??????

The ABA at their next general meeting needs approve funding to hire some college kid. (S)He can even work out of his own (parents) basement. But all release's are sent to him/her, and then they clean them up, turn them from gibberish to common sense and then send them out.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]So the game starts at 5pm-8pm??????

The ABA at their next general meeting needs approve funding to hire some college kid. (S)He can even work out of his own (parents) basement. But all release's are sent to him/her, and then they clean them up, turn them from gibberish to common sense and then send them out.[/quote]

It's like the old joke - what time is it when the clock strikes 13? Time to get a new clock.

What time is it when an ABA team strikes 13? Time to get a new ABA team.

TheHulk
Site Admin

Thought this was funny

Post by TheHulk » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:59 am

I guess the Gwizz got a hold of the webmaster, too.

"Roster: Benjamin Mireles

Coach
Name: Benjamin Mireles
Position: Try Out Roster & Player Roster Head Coach / Promotions
Hometown: San Antonio"

....."NO ONE BEATS THE GWIZZ" :-L

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

This team will be fun to read about all year...

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:52 am

this is from their 'fan club' page

http://www.sanantonioproball.com/fanclub.html
The South Texas Showboats have announced that they will be hosting a cheerleading competition at half time of every game, shootout before evry game(which includes local businesses, SAPD, SAFD, TEACHERS, and KIDS to particpate. If you think your school, family or friend should compete, then let us know why you think they deserve to be apart of this challenge. WE WANT YOUR VOTE!! Help us keep our team around the city of San Antonio. Our local newspaper has decided that our team is not important to write about so we would like your imput. Get your chance to win an autographed TEAM Basktball from the ABA TEAM - the SOUTH TEXAS SHOWBOATS. Please email your name, phone number, address, and why you are a fan of basketball. Give your insight at coachb_showboats08@yahoo.com and let me know any ideas you may have to help our team and the community of this great city. Let me know what you think!! LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AT THE GAMES!!
Where to start...

Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:56 pm

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]this is from their 'fan club' page

http://www.sanantonioproball.com/fanclub.html

Where to start...

Image[/quote]

Come on everybody! They want your "imput!" Why won't that darn newspaper give them the time of day?

TheHulk
Site Admin

What does everyone think of this?

Post by TheHulk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:37 am

I sent this to the San Antonia coach. Do you think it's too harsh?

"Coach:

The reason why you are not getting attention or "press" from the San Antonio Express newspaper is: 1. you're a new team in an unproven league; 2. so far your press releases are grammatically and incorrect in a format basis (need to clean up the syntax); and 3. you need to stop trying to tie your team to the Spurs (past or present Spurs). I understand it is a hard sell in a major league city, but you need to start small and build up.

I understand where you are coming from. I used to own a semi-professional football team in the North American Football League here in Florida. It was rough. Very rough to be certain. Since ad sales were very small I depended on press releases and PSA's on the local sports talk radio stations. As such, the form, syntax, and vocabulary of my press releases had to look as professional, if not more so, than the public perceived my organization. Trying to attack one of your limited sources of advertisement is not a good thing. (i.e. the newspaper)

I understand that I have no right to tell you how to do your job. I just wanted let you know from a former owner's perspective.

Sincerely,

Aaron

P.S.
I owned the Okaloosa-Walton Jets in the NAFL. I sold the team in 2007 and the team is now known as the Fort Walton Beach Falcons."

Good?

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:44 am

I like it Hulk.

Not only do you point out the problem, but you suggest a way forward to a solution.

Honest to God though, if a chain truly is only as strong as its weakest link. The ABA Chain is as fragile as they come. What continually amazes me, no, what continually astounds me is that the few people in the league who are actually making a concerted effort and spending real money sit back and allow Joe (in my opinion) to bring in these stumble-bums who just water down the product to the point of there being no product.

Sending out a "release" where you have grammatical errors accusations about how the local paper is avoiding you is beyond senseless.

I wish the Showboats a lot of luck. They are in a city who has exactly one major league team and they are going head to head with it. Sometimes I think that these teams are marketing things 180 degrees the wrong way. They are starting from the top down, meaning they are promising all sorts of fun and excitment, games and fast paced basketball, THEN build a team. Get some basketball players and put together a good team, the rest should come together with a good promotion.

At least the Showboats have a good working website. THat is a start.
Last edited by Paul S on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

TheHulk
Site Admin

Post by TheHulk » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:10 am

This what I received in return from Coach.

"Well, I appreciate the reply to the work we are doing here in San Antonio. I do not attack, the news or media outlets. I am a very straight-forward guy. I say exactly the way it is. I have talked with the newspaper here and all they say is how they feel. When I have talked to many of our community, I get a grand response on how great it is to have the ABA back in SA. However, I am glad someone can see the hard work we are doing here. This leaggue is not unproven, it is just WORD-of mouth unproven. You see, I am not your normal, owner/coach. I am the upfront and REAL LIFE guy that is not here for publicity when it comes to my team. I am strictly here to bring in the common youth to our organization, and to help out with my local community. It is unfortunate that this team is never going to be or ever was affiliated with the SPURS. We will never be what the Spurs were back in the day, I only let the public know that this is the SAME ABA league that was formed back then but we just do not pay our players what they did in those days. You see I, along with 43 other teams are apart of the BIGGEST LEAGUE in the country, No other league has this many teams apart of it. We are here to help young men try to get to the top. But we also teach the aspect of professionalism. Which means, you do not always have to be recognized for your job. You always want to do the same thing everyday and eventually someone will see the work you put in and give you a chance. Sports is not about the TEAM, but in today's society, it is about WINNING!! No matter who helped with the win, it was a win. Same thing goes with a loss. When you win people notice you then when you lose, gossip kicks in. That is just the business. We all go through it. But with me being such a young owner(31) I do have a long way to go. The people of San Antonio will eventually see WHY I put this team together. It may take 5 weeks, 5 moths, or 5 yrs, but we will be seen not just heard. Thanks again and hope to talk to you again. --Ben"

Is he delusional? or just misguided? Also, a horrible speller. lol I think it's the former because he thinks this ABA is the same one from the 70's. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that statement. Ugh!

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:17 am

Six games is the over / under for how long this team will last. :mrgreen:

meyes
Site Admin

Post by meyes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:53 pm

Unfortunately for him, he has very little grasp of business. He can't teach what he doesn't know, and he can't use what he doesn't know.
I agree, this team has little, if any chance of success.

Return to “ABA”