The Showboats Grammar thread....

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 pm

Depending on the base, those teams can be organized.

The height restrictions do exist. Some bases can find better-than-mid-level talent... but there's a reason you don't see results in the local paper when Malmstrom plays Warren or somesuch.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:37 pm

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3728891
South Texas Showboats Schedule Weekend Exhibition Game
10/16/08 - American Basketball Association (ABA) South Texas Showboats

San Antonio, TX. The ABA South Texas Showboats have scheduled an exhibition game against the San Angelo Chaparrals (TPBL). The game will be played at Antioch Sports Complex this Sunday, October 19th. The game will start at 5:45pm and doors will open at 5pm. The Showboats had an outstanding game against the Air Force this past week.

The team prevailed in that game 116-66 with the constant pressure from the defense although the Air Force maintained the lead on rebounds, 78-53. The Showboats are playing without any BIGS in the middle - so speed, defense, aggressiveness, consistency and team work are all a factor. Right now, the Showboats are looking into bringing one or two more players into their camp before the season starts in December.

"We have a pretty solid list of players who have played together before," said owner/head coach Benjamin Mireles (former Robert E. Lee player/alumni). "To add some size in the middle would really help and so that is what we are looking at. We have to find a way to keep other teams off the boards and stop them from scoring."

There are seven strong players from San Antonio high schools who have signed a one year deal with the team including players from Fox Tech, John Jay, Madison and Judson). It will be a very local team. The LAST TRYOUT has been moved to Sunday, November 2nd, originally set for Saturday, November 1st at South San Antonio High School in San Antonio from 12-4pm. For more information, email coachb_showboats08@yahoo.com or visit http://www.sanantonioproball.com or http://www.abalive.com.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:24 am

:confused:

You would be hard-pressed to choose which team has the best "worst" releases in this league. I humbly submit the most recent Showboat entries - as always, word-for-word as they were posted - for your review:

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3737817
Point guard moves up from Pratice Team
November 8, 2008 - American Basketball Association (ABA) South Texas Showboats

The Showboats also announce the addition of back-up point guard George Reyes. Reyes was placed on the practice team and finally was moved up after proving himself in practice. "This kid has a long way to go and has lots to offer out team. George brings extreme defense, intensity, energy, and leadership to a team who also has starting point guard, Lenoard Brown, who is a prime example of a guy who leads his team" said the coach. Reyes is the guy the Showboats have been looking for to back up a point guard who's abilities on the floor are very difficult to compliment with any point guard.
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3737818
Showboats to appear at career day

The Showboats are proud to announce they will be attending Holmes High School Novemebr 11th for a career day at the school where they will have drawings for a FREE Vacotion TRIP. Also they will be attending the Kids Festival on November 23rd for an autograph signing and a meet and greet with the team at the Alamodome in San Antonio, TX.
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3737816
Showboats announce exhibition with Houston

South Texas Showboats, who's season begins December 6th in San Antonio, are proud to announce Charity Exhibition with the Houston Takers Nov 22nd at Houston. Houston is a strong team with lots of talent and are back bringing back 7 players from last years roster while the Showboats are an expansion team in their first year in the ABA. The Showboats have 6 former San Antonio High School Athletes who have signed and are ready to play this year. The Showboats are 3-0 in pre-season and hopes to continue the streak to 4-0 against Houston. "Houston is definately a challenge but we cannot be intimidated since they have been in the league for awhile." "I believe we have plenty of talent to compete and with the new addtions added to our roster it is great to have so much flexiblity from the starting 5 to my bench players." says coach Mireles
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:15 am

The boys are back, but note the interesting addition:

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3740100
Showboats To Attend Kids Fair At Alamodome Nov 23rd
November 14, 2008 - American Basketball Association (ABA) South Texas Showboats

The South Texas Showboats were invited to attend the Kids Fair on November 23rd downtown at the Alamodome at 1pm. They were invited by the San Antonio Sports Foundation and will be giving autographs, t-shirts, and will be offering $5 raffle tickets for a drawing that will be held at the home game against Houston on Dec 19th. The following will be the prizes:

1st prize - 5 day 4 night - Hawaii

2nd prize - 5 day 4 night - Ft. Lauderdale Florida

3rd prize - $300 gas card.

visit www.oursportcentral.com, http://www.abalive.com, or http://www.saproball.com

Career Day at Holmes High School Nov 19th

November 14th 2008

The South Texas Showboats will be giving autographs and speaking to kids at Holmes High School on Nov 19, 2008. They hope to get the word out about staying in school and becoming whatever the kids have set in their future. The team has basketball players that were former San Antonio athletes, so to give a strong role model to those kids would be a great feeling and a great opportunity for our organization.

visit www.oursportcentral.com , http://www.abalive.com, or http://www.saproball.com

TEAM GETTING BETTER!!!

November 14th 2008

Although the Showboats are 3-0, they are going into Houston next weekend for the last preseason game before the beginnning of the regular season Dec 6th against the West Texas Whirlwinds. The game will be held in Houston and it will be a benefit for the Hurricane Ike Vitims. The Showboats hope to be 4-0 to begin their innagural season in the American Basketball Association. The showboats are looking fairly well coming into the next week of workouts getting ready for Houston on the 23rd. "I think we will be a fairly good team which has lots of talent but overall, we relly need to work on the defensive side of the ball. I know we can score. But we have to keep our opponent from scoring" said owner/head coach Benjamin Mireles. The Showboats are going to be a very competitive team this season and want to get to the playoffs. "I believe with the players we have here, we do have a chance to get to where we need to be. Being the rookie team in the league is going to be tough but it will be a great challenge for us and we look forward to working hard to bring a divisional championship to our city and then eventually the ABA Championship. That is our goal" said Mireles.

visit www.oursportcentral.com , http://www.abalive.com, or http://www.saproball.com
BALL BOYS N GIRLS WANTED

November 13th 2008

The South Texas Showboats are looking for kids 6-15 to attend homes games with the team and enjoy hanging out with the players and be apart of the action. Please email coachb_showboats08@yahoo.com if you or your child are interested, Please send name of child, age, shirt size and dates available.

HOLIDAY SPECIAL for SEASON TICKETS

November 14th 2008

South Texas Showboats HOLIDAY SPECIAL - SEASON TICKETS are now ON SALE

($150 and receive a FREE gift and a FREE ticket for a drwaing for a TRIP for 5 days 4 night in Florida, Hawaii, or $300 gas card) !!!. For further information on tickets, games, or upcoming events, go online and email at http://www.saproall.com
It must make Joe apoplectic to see any ABA team reference OSC for information...

NWFan
Site Admin

Post by NWFan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:53 am

[quote=""ABARedWhiteBlue""]The boys are back, but note the interesting addition:

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3740100

It must make Joe apoplectic to see any ABA team reference OSC for information...[/quote]
I hope the '5 day 4 night Hawaii' or even the 'Ft Lauderdale' is being paid by the team and not being fronted by a local business. I own a travel consulting company and would be scared stiff to be involved with something like this.

Shoot, they have to sell 60 tickets at $5 a pop just to cover the $300 gas card.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Good point. Someone is gonna get stuck with a bill or with a worthless ticket to Hawaii.

Those prizes aren't cheap.

But they also could be like those buy-one-get-one-free things. I enrolled at a gym when I was 18 and the offer to entice me was a free trip to Hawaii. So I got the 'package' (not a ticket) but a package telling me how to claim my free trip to Hawaii. There were essentially two ways. 1/ call this 800 number and book a minimum 7 night stay at their prefered hotes for 350 bucks a night then they send a voucher for your 'free flight' and hotel 2/ convince a friend to come with you and instead of 350 bucks a night you pay 500 a night but its divided by 2, oh ya friend finds own way to Honolulu. It was a scam, the cost of these overpriced hotels were far in excess of what I could by in 1988 as a 7 night package deal to Hawaii.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

NWFan
Site Admin

Post by NWFan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:36 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]Good point. Someone is gonna get stuck with a bill or with a worthless ticket to Hawaii.

Those prizes aren't cheap.

But they also could be like those buy-one-get-one-free things. I enrolled at a gym when I was 18 and the offer to entice me was a free trip to Hawaii. So I got the 'package' (not a ticket) but a package telling me how to claim my free trip to Hawaii. There were essentially two ways. 1/ call this 800 number and book a minimum 7 night stay at their prefered hotes for 350 bucks a night then they send a voucher for your 'free flight' and hotel 2/ convince a friend to come with you and instead of 350 bucks a night you pay 500 a night but its divided by 2, oh ya friend finds own way to Honolulu. It was a scam, the cost of these overpriced hotels were far in excess of what I could by in 1988 as a 7 night package deal to Hawaii.[/quote]
I am aware of these kinds of operations, too. What an insult it would be for the "lucky winner" to have to endure something like this if it were set up this way. The other thing is that travel costs are not fixed - it's more expensive some times of the year than others, and what if the winner wants to go during a popular holiday time?

Watch this award be sponsored by a "company" in Indy - Basement Travel.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:30 pm

[quote=""NWFan""]Watch this award be sponsored by a "company" in Indy - Basement Travel.[/quote]

The late, great ABAtravel.com?

NWFan
Site Admin

Post by NWFan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:05 pm

[quote=""nksports""]The late, great ABAtravel.com?[/quote]
I believe the late, great ABATravel.com was a MLM setup for its members, part of a larger nationwide organization. I know it was not a legit professional travel agency/consultant operation. This organization emphasizes getting free travel for themselves and not so much to serve travelers needing real assistance.

I just wish all the best to the eventual winners, assuming a prize of this nature is actually offered and awarded.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Whoa! Who's manning the keyboard?

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:37 am

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3741627
South Texas Showboats Have New Website And New Players
November 18, 2008 - American Basketball Association (ABA) South Texas Showboats

San Antonio, TX. The ABA South Texas Showboats are happy to announce that the new website is up, http://www.saproball.com. "It has taken awhile, but we got it done," stated CEO/coach Ben Mireles. "And now that our schedule is complete, the roster is about done, and the sponsors set, we can move forward and be ready for a great season of basketball."

The Showboats original website will be deleted soon. So they ask you that you refer to the new website. "James has done a tremendous job with our site, got it up and running quickly. We still have some information and photos to add to the site, but overall it looks fantastic and is getting better everyday," added Mireles.

The Showboats have also announced the additions of 6'7 Keith Simpson and 6'8 Albert Strickland to the team. "These guys are going to bring in strength and quickness to the 3, 4 and 5 positions," stated Mireles. "With these additions, we believe our guards will have more time to do what they do best. It gives us versatility at all positions and these players can play several positions, not just the 1 or 2. The players are here to win and the Showboats are going into this season underrated. It is good for us to go into the season not being seen. We would rather just play the game and enjoy the time out on the court against other teams. Our goal is to be successful on and off the court but most of all we have to make it a fun and entertaining season for families. Without the fans, families, children and sponsors - and of course, a good group of players, you have nothing. We have to make it where basketball fans want to come and watch our team play." For more information, visit http://www.saproball.com or http://www.abalive.com.
"The players are here to win and the Showboats are going into this season underrated." - They are ranked #11 this week, and have yet to play a meaningful game. That is hardly underrated.

If Joe says it, then it is so.

Return to “ABA”