ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 am

Holy #$@*! :eek:

Word for word...

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3726214
Showboats unveil schedule
10/08/08 - American Basketball Association (ABA) South Texas Showboats

The South Texas Showboats have announced their full schedule. All home schedules are complete but times are unknown for the Away Games. Feel free to visit abalive2.com for the times for the Away games for the South Texas Showboats.

12/6/2008 Phoeniz Fury (FIRST HOME GAME OF ABA GAME)

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7pm-10pm We look forward to the challenge of playing against Phoenix in our first home game of the ABA season.

12/7/2008 Southeast Texas Mustangs

(Non-District) Beaumont, Tx First AWAY Game away for the Showboats of the ABA season

12/11/2008 West Texas Whirlwinds

(Non-District) Midland, Tx

12/14/2008 Southeast Texas Mustangs

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7:30pm- 10:30pm Look for a very exciting and entertaining game against the Mustangs. This your first look at the Southeast Texas Mustangs. Come out and enjoy the show.

12/20/2008 Gallop Tallons(New Mexico)

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7:30pm - 10:30pm This is going to be a great game between 2 expansion teams.

1/3/2009 West Texas Whirlwinds

(Non-District) San Antonio, Tx / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7pm -10pm These 2 teams have already began a rivalry that begun. This should be fun!!

1/11/2009 Mississippi Blues

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7pm-10pm We welcome you to the Mississippi Blues for the First Time this season. Come out and support the SHOWBOATS!!

1/15/2009 Southeast Texas Mustangs

(Non-District) Beaumont, Tx

1/18/2009 Southeast Texas Mustangs

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7pm-10pm

1/20/2009 Gallop Tallons(New Mexico)

(Non-District) Gallop, New Mexico

1/25/2009 West Texas Whirlwinds

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7pm - 10pm

1/29/2009 West Texas Whirlwinds

1/31/2009 Mississippi Blues

(Non-District) Jackson, Miss.

2/1/2009 Mississippi Blues

2/7/2009 Mississippi Blues

2/9/2009 Mississippi Blues

2/11/2009 Southeast Texas Mustangs

2/13/2009 West Texas Whirlwinds

2/14/2009 West Texas Whirlwinds

2/15/2009 Houston Takers

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7pm -10pm

2/22/2009 West Texas Whirlwinds

2/23/2009 Southeast Texas Mustangs

2/24/2009 Gallop Tallons(New Mexico)

(Non-District) New Mexico

2/28/2009 Southeast Texas Mustangs

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 7pm-10pm

3/1/2009 Southeast Texas Mustangs

3/2/2009 Southeast Texas Mustangs

(Non-District) San Antonio, TX / Antioch Sports Complex Game Time 9pm - Midnight

3/4/2009 West Texas Whirlwinds

3/5/2009 West Texas Whirlwinds

3/7/2009 Houston Takers

3/8/2009 Houston Takers

They say a monkey hitting keys randomly for an infinite amount of time will eventually write the complete works of Shakespeare.

I see one is practicing already...

Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:19 am

Grammatical similarities with the Gwizz are striking! There are other similarities as well. This South Texas team will probably play about 6 games ... 3 against the same team, do some name dropping like MLK ... in this case Davey Crocket, and then die a quick death only to be reborn come playoff time. :mrgreen:

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:20 pm

Honestly, part of me actually feels pity for this team's abject lack of basic grammatical comprehension.

But the rest of me finds their repeated misuse of simple words and sentence structure too entertaining to ignore.

Here we go again:
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3726489
Showboats Announce Last Tryout Saturday, November 1
10/09/08 - American Basketball Association (ABA) South Texas Showboats

The South Texas Showboats will be holding tryouts Saturday, November 1 for seven roster spots.(all positions available) We know that there are a lot of players who want to make it pro. So we are giving players that opportunity to make it with the Showboats. We are looking for great players with outstanding character that we can build with. The Showboats will be inviting selected players from free agent tryouts to attend the veterens training camp. Tryouts will be held at South San Antonio High School from 12pm-4pm. 2515 Navajo St San antonio, TX78224 (Mapquest)

Tryout Fee: $75.00 Registration at the door

$50.00 Pre-registration!

Contact Coach Ben at coachb_showboats08@yahoo.com or

CALL 210-897-0379
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:54 am

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3727434
Showboats get the best of Air Force
10/11/08 - American Basketball Association (ABA) South Texas Showboats

The South Texas Showboats played an amazing game against a bigger line-up. They came out on top 116-66 in a lop-sided victory by the Showboats. The Showboats are trying to get ready for the season opener against the Phoenix Fury on Dec 6, 2008 and have a few exhibitions left to play. They are defensive minded and hopefully with all the talent they have from San Antonio, they can continue the trend next week. The Air Force did not even have a chance to get things going as the Showboats immediately showed some very strong defense. They came out with a lot of energy and pressure that caused 4 turnovers in the first 1:30 of the game. " We came out with intensity and pressure and wanted to really work on our defense in this game" said coach Mireles . The defense caused 19 turnovers with the defense and shooting 59% from the field, 52% 3point. With the first 3 exhibitions under their belt, they have won by 26, 31, and 50. The Showboats have a challenge with their first game at their home(Antioch Sports Complex) against the Chaparrals. Tickets for this game are $6.00 each. Look forward to seeing you at the game and come out, enjoy the show, a watch an exciting game by the new expansion ABA team, the South Texas Showboats.

Top performers of the game were Langston Grady (Triple Double) 15pts, 12 reb, 10 ass. 3 steals / Kenny Wilson 29pts, 8 reb, 4 ass, 3 steals / Frank Ford 19 pts, 5 reb, 2 steals / Chris Woods 13 pts, 6 reb, 3 steals / and Jamar Chatman 18 points on 8-12 shooting

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:26 pm

The Showboats played against a "bigger" lineup? I might be wrong...but aren't there regulations about not being over 6-6 or so to be in the Air Force? All about fitting into those planes or something like that?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Showboat release wrote:Kenny Wilson 29pts, 8 reb, 4 ass
This reminds me of an old Monty Python sketch about a man with three buttocks.

rockhound
Site Admin

When the Air Force isn't so much of a Force.

Post by rockhound » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:18 am

[quote=""TEN""]The Showboats played against a "bigger" lineup? I might be wrong...but aren't there regulations about not being over 6-6 or so to be in the Air Force? All about fitting into those planes or something like that?[/quote]

I love how they are trying to make this "Air Force" team like it is the Air Force Academy. What they probably are really playing is a intramural base team which was formed about an hour before the game...A really impressive win indeed.

I have heard about the 6-6 rule too, I'm not sure if it is real or myth, there are hundreds of other MOS's other than pilot in the Air Force, so I'm not sure all Air Force members would have to conform to the height requirement.

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:45 am

Think David Robinson in the Naval Academy when considering height requirements for the branches of the armed services. He grew while in college if memory serves me correctly. On a side note, I have officiated some of those base teams ... mid level high school talent at best. :mrgreen:

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:52 am

[quote=""rockhound""]I love how they are trying to make this "Air Force" team like it is the Air Force Academy. What they probably are really playing is a intramural base team which was formed about an hour before the game...A really impressive win indeed.

I have heard about the 6-6 rule too, I'm not sure if it is real or myth, there are hundreds of other MOS's other than pilot in the Air Force, so I'm not sure all Air Force members would have to conform to the height requirement.[/quote]

This reminds me of a sad story from my pro basketball days....

I was running the Oklahoma Storm in the USBL and we agreed to play the local air force base team on the base as an exhibition before the season.

I had talked Brent Price, former NBA player who came back home to live in Enid after he retired, to play home games with us...It was a couple of years after he retired from the Kings. He was the best shooter we had and was going to get as many minutes as he wanted to play.

So we play the base team and we are up 40 at the half....I have this bright idea to "reverse" the score so we are down 40 in the second half...just to make it interesting.
Brent was playing well, but was out of the game in the second and wasn't planning on going back in....anyway...down 40...we got it back to within five in the last three minutes and Brent asked to go back into the game to try to close the deal....Our coach listened to him....and Brent went into the game and pulled his hamstring...

He ended up playing some games for us that year...but never was full speed and didn't get a chance to heal.....

He never should have left the bench....never forgave my coach for listening to him! ;)

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:52 pm

[quote=""runninref""]Think David Robinson in the Naval Academy when considering height requirements for the branches of the armed services. He grew while in college if memory serves me correctly. On a side note, I have officiated some of those base teams ... mid level high school talent at best. :mrgreen: [/quote]

I was in Navy ROTC at the time Robinson was at the Academy. He was under 6-6 when he entered and had a growth spurt. He entered as an aviation-option midshipman, but was soon disqualified for aviation, surface warface (ships) and submarine warfare options. One of my instructors, who was an Academy grad and basketball player there, said he was given waivers to continue there and placed as a supply corps option (very rare). His only other options would have been the Marines or engineering corps (Sea Bees).

Return to “ABA”