The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
The Sweeper
Site Admin

LA Push to return

Post by The Sweeper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:49 pm

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?n ... 8061606001

LOS ANGELES PUSH TO RETURN TO ABA THIS SEASON

16-Jun-2008
Indianapolis, IN -- The ABA announced that the Los Angeles Push would return this season.

According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "The Push started last season and were unable to continue due to some internal problems that have been completely resolved; this is an organization that certainly deserves to be in the ABA and which will represent the City of Los Angeles well."

The owners, Donye' Mitchell has been an avid basketball enthusiast his whole life. He grew up in Compton, CA where he fell in love with basketball. He has enjoyed playing with three generations of street basketball players at Venice Beach. His competitiveness and defense on the court has rewarded him with a reputation of passion and fierceness. After coming back from law school, Mitchell saw an opportunity to organize street basketball and his real passion began.

His plans included a streetball labor union, streetball player owned corporation, media rights protection for all of the "movies" created by streetball players, and eventually the opportunity to excel in a formal basketball setting. In 2005 Mitchell created a television show called Ballin'. It was a huge success. It brought local street basketball players together and showcased street basketball talent and uncovered its culture while crowning a Los Angeles ballin' champion.

In 2006 Mitchell created the format for a nationwide Push basketball streetball league with emphasis on an anger management. The Push league is forming teams now for the 2009 season which begins in June 2009.

In 2007 Mitchell was awarded an ABA team, the Los Angeles Push. He assembled one of the most talented teams in the league, but unfortunately, internal issues forced the team to shut down its operations. The new Los Angeles Push team will return for the 2008 season stronger than ever.

In 3008, Mitchell will celebrate street basketball at Venice Beach on Sunday, July 13th. He will be filming the second season of his hit series, "Ballin", and his new show, "Streetball Reality." Both TV shows will air on KVMD, Channel 23 this fall 2008 on Mitchell's own streetball network. He also has plans for establishing a street basketball museum at Venice Beach in the fall of 2008. Open tryouts will begin for the Los Angeles Push on July 13th also.

He has been a pioneer his whole life. He created a line of pre-natal waters for expecting mothers called 9 Beverage that will be in stores in early 2009. He also owns 1600 domain names and plans the next beverage to be a formula water beverage for street basketball players. The team is currently in negotiations with three venues in LA for the upcoming season. "I am excited about returning to the ABA and I promise to bring even more talent than before," said Mitchell. "And I am very thankful to the ABA for giving the Push another opportunity. We will not let them down and will represent this great league well."
--------------------
How long will they last this time?

"Alright, place your pets, place your bets"-Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:32 pm

[quote=""The Sweeper""]http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?n ... 8061606001

LOS ANGELES PUSH TO RETURN TO ABA THIS SEASON

In 3008, Mitchell will celebrate street basketball at Venice Beach on Sunday, July 13th. He will be filming the second season of his hit series, "Ballin", and his new show, "Streetball Reality." [/quote]

I hope I'm still around in 3008 to watch this 2 season...
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:37 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]I hope I'm still around in 3008 to watch this 2 season...[/quote]

Well, I guess you could call it "planning ahead". Most ABA teams don't even 'plan'.

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

A quick recap

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:43 pm

of the Push in the ABA:

//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... php?t=8960
//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... php?t=8924
//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... php?t=9139

[quote=""PushAGM""]Operations of the Los Angeles Push were suspended on Monday by the ABA. This was due to the lack of organization both business wise and as far as game day operations.

Obviously I look like somewhat of a fool because yesterday before I had found out about this I was still promoting the team.

I came on board just short of a week ago thinking that even though there were issues I could help turn the organization around. I truly believe that this would have been possible had there actually been financial backing for the team. Ultimately this team was thrown together at the last minute and while the team on the court was excellent and one of the best in the league the operation of the team by the owner was the worst in the league.

The ABA and owners of the teams on the PUSH schedule made the decision to suspend operations of the team for the good of the league. To put it plain and simply the Push owner ran the team as a REC League team and not as a professional sports organization.

I know that with my experience in almost every aspect of professional sports that I could have turned the game days ops around as well as the front office provided there was the finances behind the team to make payroll and give the team the chance of bringing in sponsors. That was not there!!

Unfortunately the Push ownership never really had a true idea of how to run a basketball team or the business side of things. Players and staff including myself have not been compensated and hopefully that can be resolved for everyone else. For myself, I simply want to distance myself from what turned out to be a bad choice (i.e. taking the job).

So am I giving up on the coaches, players and the league? HELL NO!!

After spending all day yesterday talking to head coach Otis Hailey as well as some of the staff that had recently been hired to fix things we talked about trying to make it work for the sake of the players. Financially it still was not feasible. However after talking to ABA CEO Joe Newman and reading all of the leagues marketing materials I have determined that owning and successfully running an ABA franchise is my goal for the 2008/2009 season.

As of today I am starting to put together the foundation of a successful ABA organization. I will be making the Market Reservation deposit in the next 2 weeks and you will see our new organization listed on the ABA site.

I hope in the coming weeks to talk to Coach Hailey and hopefully have him on board along with some of the players from the Now Defunct LA PUSH.
This gives us a head start on other Expansion Franchises in that we can do community events, clinics and other ways to generate revenue and guarantee first year success in 2008/2009 and beyond.

For those of you that believe the ABA is not properly run and whatever else you might say let me tell you this. The ABA gives each new owner a great packet of marketing materials and ideas to help any organization become successful. If a team fails in the ABA I believe it is truly because the owners failed to use this information, products and programs.

Please keep an eye out for the NEW Southern California ABA team coming soon! I will definitely post more up here!

For those of you that will say it ......YES .. YOU TOLD ME SO!

I admit that, however to me it was important to be positive and I will continue that in moving to my own ABA venture!

Anyone interested in investing, sponsoring or being a part of a successful ABA team is encouraged to email me at SOCALABA@gmail.com[/quote]
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Why do this?
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:57 pm

3008? That's even after all the Star Trek series took place!

Speaking of which, I have an idea:
Potential Star Trek plotline wrote: Captain's Log, Stardate 35841.9. We have just learned that intergalactic conman Harcourt Fenton Mudd has been named the new CEO of the American Basketball Association. In the press release, he says he hopes to bring it back to the days of the 21st century. Somehow, I think he's the right man for the job.
"Bones, you think you could repair the damage?"
"For God's sake, Jim! I'm a doctor, not-"
"So was the co-founder of the 21st century's ABA antidote!"
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 pm

My gut tells me that Brad Hester exorcised the Push from the ABA last year. With Mr. Hester gone, the league was free to add them again despite serious performance issues last season.

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 pm

[quote=""Minor League Man""]3008? That's even after all the Star Trek series took place!

Speaking of which, I have an idea:[/quote]

"To boldly fold where no team has folded before"??

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:59 pm

[quote=""The Sweeper""]"To boldly fold where no team has folded before"??[/quote]

Those places are becoming increasingly few and farther between...
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:44 pm

[quote=""The Sweeper""]"To boldly fold where no team has folded before"??[/quote]

I'm trying to keep quiet at work here...goodness, this thread gets funnier by the post!!!
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

Return to “ABA”