The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

The Lights are on, but nobody is home

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Thu May 29, 2008 2:26 pm

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?n ... 8052906001
LAS VEGAS LIGHTS TEAM FIRES UP FOR 2008-2009 SEASON

29-May-2008
Las Vegas, NV -- The Las Vegas Lights professional basketball team is geared up and ready to go according to team General Manager, Carl Dossenbach. "In addition to bringing the most fan-friendly professional sports experience to the Las Vegas Valley, the Las Vegas Lights plan to raise funds for local charities and scholarship funds, provide employment opportunities and internships for young people and students and to donate thousands of dollars in tickets to youth groups and charities."

As the Las Vegas Lights are gearing up for their inaugural season which begins around December 5th (schedule to be released soon), a 30-game season is scheduled with 15 home games where the Lights will offer family-oriented and affordable sports entertainment for all ages and incomes. Try-outs, internships, cheerleaders and other team opportunities will be announced and posted on the new web site (to be announced) and through media.

"As the GM of the Las Vegas Lights," Dossenbach added, "I would like to say thank you to the ABA and ABA CEO Joe Newman for the opportunity to become an integral part of this exciting league and more importantly, we look forward to working with the communities and the fans in the greater LV area."

If you would like more information, call (702) 421-1855 or email lvlightsgm@cox.net.
This team is such an "integral part of this exciting (?) league" that they STILL aren't listed as a 2008-2009 franchise on ABAlive (as of 5/29):
Atlanta Vision
Bahama All Pro Show
Beijing Aoshen Olympian
Boston Blizzard
Buffalo Sharks
Chicago
Detroit Zafir
First State Fusion
Fresno Legends
Georgia Gwizzlies
Hamilton, Ontario
Hollywood Showstoppers
Houston Takers
Jersey Express
Knoxville Storm
Long Beach Breakers
Maywood Buzz
Monterrey Veneno
Montreal Royal
Nashville Broncs
New York City Internationalz
Orange County Gladiators
Philadelphia Sounds
Phoenix Fury
Prescott Valley Rhinos
Quebec Kebekwa
Sacramento Heatwave
San Diego Wildcats
San Francisco Rumble
Shreveport-Bossier Stallions
St. Louis Stunners
Strong Island Sound
Texas Tycoons
West Texas Whirlwinds
Westchester Phantoms
Winston-Salem

And of course, no website, venue, etc. Same old stuff, just change the name of the city.

Oh, and only 30 games, BTW?
Last edited by ABARedWhiteBlue on Thu May 29, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Thu May 29, 2008 3:33 pm

I notice from your list that the Manchester and Vermont defections have sunk in. The ghost of the Kebs still lives on there, though.

tops804
Site Admin

So is this...

Post by tops804 » Fri May 30, 2008 1:15 am

The Orlando Aces of 2006-07 (That played 25 games) & 2007-08 (That played 1 game)
then proudly declared their intention to "relocate"?...

or

The Los Vegas Lights/Prolym/Lights of 2006-07 that never played a game or
had an explanation as to why?...

Maybe there is hope for the Pittsburgh Pipers, Utah Stars and Virginia Squires
as well. :mrgreen:

BTW -- The Aces of 07-08 did have a 1.000 winning percentage!!!!
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri May 30, 2008 3:39 pm

So, Joe has finally turned the Lights on...

Today the franchise appears on the list of "active" 2008-2009 franchises.

For now...
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

The Sweeper
Site Admin

Post by The Sweeper » Fri May 30, 2008 4:57 pm

The Strong Island Sound are still listed even though the home page link has nothing to do with the team anymore.

The Kebs are still listed.

What ever happened to the Reno franchise that one of Joe's relatives was to start last season, then got "delayed" until 08-09?

With most all of the northeast teams gone, you really thing the Blizzard will be coming back? Wasn't the Cape Cod Frenzy to sit out 07-08 and come back for 08-09?
Mean Spirited Blogger #37

Honored to have been the 13th player for the Vermont Frost Heaves game on 2-16-07 against the Maryland Nighthawks.

The ABA is the basketball equivalent of Amp'd Mobile.

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Fri May 30, 2008 5:45 pm

What is interesting is that the release says there will be a 30 game schedule. I wonder if this is what the team can play, or if the league has cut back to a 30 game schedule.
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Fri May 30, 2008 6:22 pm

[quote=""The Sweeper""]With most all of the northeast teams gone, you really thing the Blizzard will be coming back? Wasn't the Cape Cod Frenzy to sit out 07-08 and come back for 08-09?[/quote]

Cape Cod was Ian McCarthy's team. He's busy now moving the Millrats to the PBL.

I doubt that the Frenzy will be back, at least as they were. Surely Joe will beg another local yokel to pick up the flag...

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Fri May 30, 2008 6:45 pm

The ABA will have a 30 game schedule. It will be 30 combined total from all of the teams.
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

tops804
Site Admin

In the usual odd ABA way...

Post by tops804 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:25 am

The league updated its website so that all of the expansion teams, with the
exception of Tampa Bay (again) are now current.

Gone are the Pacific Rim Rockers and Henderson All-Starz...

Also absent (despite the recent "Ask The CEO") are the Syracuse/Rochester Raging Bullz.

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2008042106003
ASK THE CEO - RETURNING TO ROCHESTER?

21-Apr-2008
Question from Richard, Rochester, NY (and others): "Sometime back you indicated that you would have an ABA team in Rochester, NY next season. Is that still the ABA's intention?"

Answer: Richard (and others): Thank you for the email and the interest. The answer is yes, we intend to have an ABA team in Rochester next season. Rochester is one of the country's best minor league cities (in all sports). When we first announced our intention to be back, we were flooded with calls and emails showing great support for the exciting ABA brand of basketball to return there. (We also received some calls and emails that were not quite so positive). Overall, we believe that Rochester will be a great market for ABA basketball at affordable prices - and a full commitment to the community focused in urban youth. The standards and requirements for ABA teams have been upgraded and we have been assured by the new ownership that they will meet and exceed those requirements. With additional teams also scheduled for the Northeast Conference/Division, the rivalries should be quite exciting. Thanks all for your interest and support.
:confused: What gives???
Last edited by tops804 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:57 am

Thats what must be taking all of Joes time. He can't possibly have the time to update the website as he is jockeying all these calls that are "flooding" in from people in Rochester just clamouring to beat the band hoping to get the coveted ABA market reservation.

Funnily enough I went to Rochester last week on business, absolutely, positively NOBODY was talking about the ABA.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Return to “ABA”