Now's the time to leave the ABA!

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:20 am

Thats a pretty sad list of teams. I can see like 8 teams max actually playing more than 5 games. What a joke.

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Wed May 28, 2008 3:53 am

[quote=""nksports""]The difference is the MISL is a typical league, operated as a cooperative among the teams. The ABA owners have no say in ABA operations except to stay in the league or leave. They pay their money ($10,000) and take their chances.
That's why news of the ABA's death is always greatly exaggerated. It will only die when all the marks dry up or someone is jailed for fraud (or loses a lawsuit, since this is more than likely a civil offense).[/quote]

Steve Ryan was a poor commissioner. I don't think you could say that he was ethically challenged. He was just a poor leader given the circumstances. This is different than the ABA.
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed May 28, 2008 4:20 pm

[quote=""bomp""]Steve Ryan was a poor commissioner. I don't think you could say that he was ethically challenged. He was just a poor leader given the circumstances. This is different than the ABA.[/quote]

Ryan was likely a poor commissioner, but he was a traditional commissioner in the sense that HE ANSWERED TO THE OWNERS. He's blamed for some things that should be on THEIR heads. Basically, they're running a "sport" that's lost traction... the outdoor version they thought they were improving upon passed them up like an F-1 car passing you pulling your old Radio Flyer.

Joe Newman runs a ponzi scheme designed to funnel money from the sports-clueless to his pockets. Big difference from MISL, even though some people claim Ryan was pocketing expansion money.

BTW, the time to leave the ABA was 1976. Ever since the supposed restart, it's been "the time not to join."
Last edited by Pounder on Wed May 28, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:10 pm

1st it was the Commissioner of the MISL ...

Now it's the entire league:

Major Indoor Soccer League Ceases Operations
06/02/08
//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3651866
The MISL Management Committee has begun formal transition planning and restructuring as they consider moves, which they believe will help lower costs and attract additional owner/operators.
Should the ABA CEO and the American Basketball Association follow suit?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:04 pm

I know there has been a lot of harping on Steve Ryan, but to his (and the rest of the indoor soccer people's credit), their history shines compared to the ABA.
In MISL I, only two teams failed to complete a season — the New York Cosmos played just 33 of 48 games in 1984-85 and the NY Express played just 26 of 52 games in 1986-87.
In AISL-NPSL-MISL II, only four teams never completed seasons — in 2000-01, Edmonton played nine of 40 games and Wichita played 39 of 40 games (a canceled game with Edmonton in which a replacement couldn't be found); and in 2004-05 San Diego played 10 of 39 games and Monterrey played six of 39 games.
The CISL-WISL, despite a lot of rocky years, never missed a game.

Maybe Steve Ryan needs to take over the ABA?

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:42 pm

[quote=""nksports""]Maybe Steve Ryan needs to take over the ABA?[/quote]

That depends...

Does he have an internet connection in his kitchen?
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Any basement will do.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:32 pm

GOod old Fresh Money!!! Steve Ryan was paid a lot to drum up new franchises'. He managed to get Monterrey back and Orlando. Not much else.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 pm

I think it's pretty funny that some of these expansion teams are sending out press releases about their activities, but 95% of the existing ABA teams are completely silent.

The ABA CEO sure has set a great example for the league :rolleyes:

And now a majority of the teams are following the mold.

The ABA model does not equate to a professional basketball business environment or atmosphere.

Sorry owners, it's just the truth.
Last edited by The Magician on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:24 pm

The Montreal Royal are removed ...

and now, the Montreal Matrix re-appear ???

http://www.abalive.com/teams/

Montreal Matrix
Tito Destin
lethalsports@hotmail.com
Last edited by The Magician on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “ABA”