West Texas makes an appearance...

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

West Texas makes an appearance...

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Sun May 18, 2008 11:54 pm

First we've heard from them since their final game of last season...

on December 22 (a 141-95 defeat to Larry's Takers)

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3642980
West Texas Whirlwinds Announce First Tryout Camp
05/18/08 - American Basketball Association (ABA) West Texas Whirlwinds

Midland, TX. The ABA West Texas Whirlwinds have announced that their first tryout camp will be held June 19-21 at Odessa College. According to Cleveland Phelps, team owner, "This will be an unusual tryout camp. Each player will participate in three games as well as slam dunk and three point shooting contest with cash prizes. We will get a chance to see the players in action as the tryout will be in front of team sponsors and Whirlwinds fans. We are looking for 30 players to take to veterans camp." The cost of the tryout will be $100. It is a great opportunity. For complete details, contact the Whirlwinds' new GM, Ira Cross at 432 212 9036 or email phelpscleveland@yahoo.com or visit http://www.abalive.com
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Mon May 19, 2008 2:11 am

West Texas Whirlwinds ... :confused:

Obviously, they didn't learn anything from their 1st season in the ABA ... If you call it a season?

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... ?t_id=2083

You guys should have smartened up and joined one of the Texas leagues.

Why should players pay $100 to tryout for your organization?
The cost of the tryout will be $100. It is a great opportunity.
What kind of value does a team that played 1/4 of their regular season schedule have to offer minor league basketball players who are looking to develop their game?

And by the way ... A team with no website = a team with no cattle $!
Last edited by The Magician on Mon May 19, 2008 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: ABAaaaaaaaa ...

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:36 am

It is a great opportunity.
Yes, it is. A great opportunity for WesTex to shear some sheep and put a few grand in their pockets.

I fail to see how it's a great opportunity for anyone else.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon May 19, 2008 10:44 am

I can only agree.

Unless West Texas has a functioning website and Unless West Texas keeps stats and Unless West Texas allows players to send/email video and Unless West Texas plays more than 7 games...................then the 100 bucks is a waste of money.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon May 19, 2008 3:15 pm

I keep hearing about all these changes for the ABA and yet it allows a team like West Texas back into the league? The Whirlwinds disappeared just over a month into the season last year, skipping the final two-thirds of the year. Somehow, the league deemed it prudent to award their behavior with a playoff berth, but West Texas even backed out of that! I talked to one team owner who had them on his schedule and couldn't get so much as a return phone call or email from them when trying to confirm a game. I know if they showed up on my schedule next season I'd have backup plans in place.

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Mon May 19, 2008 3:48 pm

I remember Larry having the same problem with them. Albeit, that maybe West Texas was afraid of the Mildew
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:22 pm

I love how they had a player from the Whirlwinds on the all-star team

This team is a joke, but thats okay, they fit in well with the others

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Mon May 19, 2008 8:37 pm

The ABA is a joke.

The Slogan Should be where the Puppet has a VISION of failure
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue May 20, 2008 12:29 am

[quote=""TheStandard""]I remember Larry having the same problem with them. Albeit, that maybe West Texas was afraid of the Mildew[/quote]

Didn't someone else see a couple ice cubes on the roadway and declared that the highway wasn't safe enough for travel on game day?

Never mind the mildew, avoid the road-grilled Slurpees!
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Tue May 20, 2008 3:04 am

Nothing makes a tryout camp legitimate like a slam dunk contest!

Return to “ABA”