The ABA's favorite film "Semi-Pro": not too "family-friendly"

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:43 pm

I actually bought some Ponys about a month ago, the basketball ones, I think they are called Pony Quix

Got 'em for $69+ship on EastBay, and Ive been using them for a month and really like them. I was really suprised of the quality and they have given me no problems.

Its a shame that the ABA and Pony have their issues, because Pony makes a decent shoe, and in a better league, teams would actually being wearing the Pony stuff and Pony would be getting their advertisment
The PBL is in Buffalo! Lets Go Stampede!!

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:49 pm

[quote=""TheStandard""]
To Joe when he violates contract he then says they violated contract.[/quote]

But they will always do things ethically, unlike other leagues.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

TheStandard
Site Admin

Post by TheStandard » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:38 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]But they will always do things ethically, unlike other leagues.[/quote]

Ethics in the ABA? 10k is ethics to them
Mean Spirited Blogger # 8
ABAish: Created By TheStandard
ABAish:Not Playing 99% of your games but you satisfy your self less than 50% Lack Of Promotion Of Your Team, Not Paying your players, Playing in a High School with non regulation lines or Half Court, Playing with Wal-Mart Uniforms, Playing with Mismatched Socks, Posting lies about your league, Posting things that are not basketball or really league related, Calling others Unethical and Immoral, Being Joe Newman.500 Charcters suck.

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:00 am

The ABA is surely promoting the movie, "Semi Pro" ...

http://www.abalive.com/abaphotos/photo. ... 0212111428
Jersey Express Forward Dezmond Morgan poses near the "Semi Pro" promotional posters from Saturday's game

And it appears on the ABA Home Page today.
http://www.abalive.com/

What a Leaque! :infun:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:03 am

Good Grief. Great link Magician. That photo looks real professional. Two movie posters that have the four corners taped to the white wall with jet-black marking tape. The posters aren't the same level either. Another coup for the ABA.

My 7 year old son has a picture torn out of a magazine of Giselle Bundchen taped to the wall of his tree fort that looks like its more professionally done than that. At least he rolled the tape up into a ball and put it behind the photo so it doesn't show.

You just simply couldn't make this **** up. Every single thing this league (sorry leaque) does backfires in some spectacular or eye rolling fashion.

Sadly Sam Hill is absolutely right, Joe is trying to make out this movie has something, anything to do with his little league (leaque). It has NOTHING to do with this. It would be the exact same thing if I went out to my Ford Explorer and got a paint brush and wrote "FERRARI" on the back in bold letters. My vehicle would have about as much in common with an Italian sports car as Joes Assinine Bankruptcy Association has with Semi-Pro.

In fact by spelling "FERRARI" correctly I would actually be somewhat ahead of the Gwizzlies.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:55 pm

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3593202

Gladiators to Promote Will Ferrell ABA Film "Semi-Pro" at This Saturday Night's Home Game

02/15/08
Aliso Viejo, CA [February 15, 2008] - The OC Gladiators will be promoting the upcoming Will Ferrell film "Semi-Pro" based on the original ABA of the 1970's. New Line Cinema is working with the Gladiators to promote the movie ahead of the February 29th release and has provided a number of giveaways for the fans who will be attending the Gladiators home game this Saturday night at 7:15PM at JSerra High School in San Juan Capistrano.

I take it, OC may not have seen the very 1st post under this thread :confused:
Watch the "Age-Restricted Trailer" on the film's website:

http://www.semipromovie.com

Not too "professional, family-friendly," is it?

Yup, Joe's really gotten that low, to endorse a film that's gonna be rated R if this content isn't edited out...
Last edited by The Magician on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:20 pm

[quote=""The Magician""]

has provided a number of giveaways for the fans[/quote]

What fans?
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Frost Heaves Fan
Site Admin

Will Farrell and the Frost Heaves

Post by Frost Heaves Fan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:27 pm

Will and the movie management requested to come to VT to introduce "Semi Pro". They choose VT because the Heaves were 2007 ABA Champs and #1 the majority of this season. Heaves management declined because of the fighting in the movie and the message that this sends, especially in light of after the fighting that happened at the Manchester game. On a related note, the Rats have released 3 fighting players and they are all residing at Devil's Island.

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:08 pm

[quote=""Frost Heaves Fan""]Will and the movie management requested to come to VT to introduce "Semi Pro". They choose VT because the Heaves were 2007 ABA Champs and #1 the majority of this season. Heaves management declined because of the fighting in the movie and the message that this sends, especially in light of after the fighting that happened at the Manchester game.[/quote]

That's a smart move by the Frost Heaves!

Maybe the ABA League office should be moved out of Indiana to Vermont.

Essentially, if it had not been for the Frost Heaves organization over the course of the last couple of seasons ...

There would be NO ABA anyway!

Sorry teams, but it's the truth.
Last edited by The Magician on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:32 pm

To me, this doesn't seem like such a huge deal. If this wasn't the ABA I don't think it would be such an issue. A basketball movie draws interest to basketball.

Log on to http://www.raptors.com to see another team promoting a certain movie...

Return to “ABA”