Reason the Shock moved from AFL to IFL

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Fran
Site Admin

Reason the Shock moved from AFL to IFL

Post by Fran » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:46 pm

According to the Shock fan page The Goal Line Bandits

OK here's a little info for those who don't know. . The reason why the Spokane Shock left the AFL are simple. Cheating, money and stability. Can anyone tell me how many teams have fallen since 2010? Take a moment and read that number. Is that a realistic number of a successful league? Out of those teams that failed how many did the league take over? In the past 3 seasons it has been 4 teams. Well within the structure when the league takes over a team.. the other owners split the fees to maintain those teams until seasons end. So not only does each team pay for its own fees but they get the (overtaken)failing teams fee as well. Monthly fees for the AFL are about 25k. Spokane was one of the only teams to actually pay all is bills on time and not be in the negative. But you have teams like Jacksonville that are quoted to be the best ran team in the AFL and are losing money. Jacksonville is one of the top attendance arenas in the league too. Could you imagine the teams that don't get great attendance? How is a league suppose to keep running afloat in a positive manor this way? The IFL move was to preserve the right of SPOKANE playing SHOCK FOOTBALL. The Shock were not going down with a sinking ship. The AFL is a sinking ship. The Shock ownership and front office believe that the Shock are not in the best interest for the league. I can agree to that as the league views spokane as a small market team and doesn't fit the new plans of the new commissioner. His plan is big market teams that have NFL, NBA, MLB teams in and hope to get those owners invested. Spokane does not fit into his plan. So the Shock are looking out for the SHOCK and ensuring they will be playing for years to come. AFL monthly fees $25k.. IFL monthly fees about $2,500. Which one would you choose? Shock football or no Shock football?

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:00 pm

I don't know if all of it is accurate, but I can understand why the Shock looked elsewhere. They took a very black-and-red look at the bottom line and felt that they could not compete long-term in the AFL, both on the field because they felt other teams weren't abiding by the salary guidelines, or off it because they were going to have a hard enough time generating any profit with only their own bills to pay. Add cash calls from those league-run franchises, and I believe they probably lost some good money.

The AFL has taken on some ownership groups that it shouldn't have, and that was likely one of the reasons for last year's change in leadership. But I'm not willing to say they're done yet. There is still good interest in the product in enough markets to maintain a viable league. Whether the league can be grown again will be the key.
Last edited by preeths on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:51 am

[quote=""Fran""]According to the Shock fan page The Goal Line Bandits

OK here's a little info for those who don't know. . The reason why the Spokane Shock left the AFL are simple. Cheating, money and stability. Can anyone tell me how many teams have fallen since 2010? Take a moment and read that number. Is that a realistic number of a successful league? Out of those teams that failed how many did the league take over? In the past 3 seasons it has been 4 teams. Well within the structure when the league takes over a team.. the other owners split the fees to maintain those teams until seasons end. So not only does each team pay for its own fees but they get the (overtaken)failing teams fee as well. Monthly fees for the AFL are about 25k. Spokane was one of the only teams to actually pay all is bills on time and not be in the negative. But you have teams like Jacksonville that are quoted to be the best ran team in the AFL and are losing money. Jacksonville is one of the top attendance arenas in the league too. Could you imagine the teams that don't get great attendance? How is a league suppose to keep running afloat in a positive manor this way? The IFL move was to preserve the right of SPOKANE playing SHOCK FOOTBALL. The Shock were not going down with a sinking ship. The AFL is a sinking ship. The Shock ownership and front office believe that the Shock are not in the best interest for the league. I can agree to that as the league views spokane as a small market team and doesn't fit the new plans of the new commissioner. His plan is big market teams that have NFL, NBA, MLB teams in and hope to get those owners invested. Spokane does not fit into his plan. So the Shock are looking out for the SHOCK and ensuring they will be playing for years to come. AFL monthly fees $25k.. IFL monthly fees about $2,500. Which one would you choose? Shock football or no Shock football?[/quote]

Agreed. They really had no choice and after seeing how Iowa fared it was a no brainer

Return to “IFL”