Site Admin

Bemidji, MN

Post by perusix » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Really small market

Jammer
Site Admin

Post by Jammer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:59 pm

[quote=""perusix""]Really small market[/quote]
Too small, I give this team 2 seasons before they realize they will be lucky to get 1000 per game. Then they will move to another MN city.

firehawk5
Site Admin

Post by firehawk5 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Lets not forget this is a college town, so the actual amount of people in the city is greater than the population listed. The Beavers seemed to have great attendance early in the season, getting 2,000 and even 3,000 early in the year, before only drawing 900 or so the final 3 games of the season, but that could be due to weather. I think it's possible that this team gets 1,500 to 2,000 a night

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 pm

[quote=""firehawk5""]Lets not forget this is a college town, so the actual amount of people in the city is greater than the population listed. The Beavers seemed to have great attendance early in the season, getting 2,000 and even 3,000 early in the year, before only drawing 900 or so the final 3 games of the season, but that could be due to weather. I think it's possible that this team gets 1,500 to 2,000 a night[/quote]

How many of the 1500 or so are the college kids who get in free.
Erie Explosion with 280,000 in the metro area + 24,000 college kids
in the area averages @ 3,000 a game. Even on college day you don't see many students. One thing there are about 30 bars in downtown Erie, I don't think any of them are lossing money.

Jammer
Site Admin

Post by Jammer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:09 pm

[quote=""firehawk5""]Lets not forget this is a college town, so the actual amount of people in the city is greater than the population listed. The Beavers seemed to have great attendance early in the season, getting 2,000 and even 3,000 early in the year, before only drawing 900 or so the final 3 games of the season, but that could be due to weather. I think it's possible that this team gets 1,500 to 2,000 a night[/quote]

True, it is a college town. But, its also northern MN, where hockey is king. I hope that I'm wrong, but I firmly believe was the worst place in Mn to put an IFL franchise.
I stand by my prediction, two seasons then move to the metro area.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:00 pm

I get nervous whenever I see that an individual that already owns one team is getting involved with a second, as seems to be the case here.

firehawk5
Site Admin

Post by firehawk5 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:51 pm

You're right that Hockey is king, but beings how the arena is shared with the Bemidji State Beavers, the games will obviously be when the Beavers aren't there. I'm not sure if this will deter or interest fans. I also get what was said about Erie, but when you're town is larger, there are a greater number of options of things to do. That's one thing that could play into the smaller market advantage. I personally wish they were in the metro of the Twin Cities because I live there and would love a team here. I'm not going to drive 3.5 hours to watch Bemidji when I could do the same drive and watch the AFL in Des Moines.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:23 pm

The uSA (Micro Statistical Area) for Bemidji is ~43,000... for reference the same statistical area for Grand Island is 73,500 Salina, KS 61,900

Definitely small, however Grand Island and Salina each had pretty solid attendance this year. I guess we'll see what happens.
Because, you see, I have a policy about honesty and butt-kicking: if you ask for it, I have to let you have it.

Jammer
Site Admin

Opinion

Post by Jammer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Lets say that I am right and Bemidji doesn't make it. Where else in MN would a franchise survive? I still say the metro.
Also, excluding the "X" and the Target center, what is a suitable arena for the IFL in the cities?
I think the place would be the Warner Colosium at the fair grounds. They play hockey there (and was home to the MN Monsters). It's around 6000 capacity and plenty of room for parking and tailgateing. The only problem is that the floor is bigger then the field would be (being it was built for horse shows). But, they can (and have) brought bleachers in so that there would be seating right on the wall.
Any others ideas?

firehawk5
Site Admin

Post by firehawk5 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:46 pm

[quote=""Jammer""]Lets say that I am right and Bemidji doesn't make it. Where else in MN would a franchise survive? I still say the metro.
Also, excluding the "X" and the Target center, what is a suitable arena for the IFL in the cities?
I think the place would be the Warner Colosium at the fair grounds. They play hockey there (and was home to the MN Monsters). It's around 6000 capacity and plenty of room for parking and tailgateing. The only problem is that the floor is bigger then the field would be (being it was built for horse shows). But, they can (and have) brought bleachers in so that there would be seating right on the wall.
Any others ideas?[/quote]

I have lived in the Twin Cities for 3 years now, and there are a few places for placing a team, but not without very minimal seating. I'd also note that if there was a team in the metro, they are competing against the Wild and Timberwolves for attendance. As much as I'd love to have a team here so I didn't have to drive to Iowa for games, I just don't think it'll happen.

Return to “IFL”