Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Darth Vader
Site Admin

Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Post by Darth Vader » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Hello, everybody. I'm sure you've all learned by now that my Tulsa Talons have left town for San Antonio, Texas. All I can say is...it really sucks. They were here for 12 years and I was a season ticket holder for the last 9. I saw many great things on the field as the Talons made the playoffs 11 times including 9 straight division titles and 2 ArenaCup Championships. All of that is just a memory now. I would love it if the IFL came to town. Perhaps the AFL was a bite that the city of Tulsa couldn't chew. When the af2 was around things seemed to be just fine. They played in the Convention Center (7,100) which was usually half empty, but we were low (the ceiling), loud, and proud. 3,500 fans making noise in that place was very affective. Then came the BOk Center and the move to the AFL. A bigger arena and a bigger league...and look what happened. 2 seasons in and it's bye bye. I always hoped for the best, but it was to no avail. I was very fortunate to witness what many fans never get to see in their hometown. Hopefully, in the near future, the IFL will be part of Tulsa. Thank you for reading this and good day. :(

coachingubigr
Site Admin

Post by coachingubigr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:44 pm

[quote=""Darth Vader""]Hello, everybody. I'm sure you've all learned by now that my Tulsa Talons have left town for San Antonio, Texas. All I can say is...it really sucks. They were here for 12 years and I was a season ticket holder for the last 9. I saw many great things on the field as the Talons made the playoffs 11 times including 9 straight division titles and 2 ArenaCup Championships. All of that is just a memory now. I would love it if the IFL came to town. Perhaps the AFL was a bite that the city of Tulsa couldn't chew. When the af2 was around things seemed to be just fine. They played in the Convention Center (7,100) which was usually half empty, but we were low (the ceiling), loud, and proud. 3,500 fans making noise in that place was very affective. Then came the BOk Center and the move to the AFL. A bigger arena and a bigger league...and look what happened. 2 seasons in and it's bye bye. I always hoped for the best, but it was to no avail. I was very fortunate to witness what many fans never get to see in their hometown. Hopefully, in the near future, the IFL will be part of Tulsa. Thank you for reading this and good day. :( [/quote]

That sucks dude, but definitely a regular occurrence in indoor football. Too many teams just can't afford to stay afloat.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:47 pm

[quote=""coachingubigr""]That sucks dude, but definitely a regular occurrence in indoor football. Too many teams just can't afford to stay afloat.[/quote]
The fact that they stayed afloat for 12 years...nothing less than a blessing.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

bus36
Site Admin

Post by bus36 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:04 pm

honestly don't see the IFL moving into to TULSA in the near future. They did that before taking on an abandoned AFL territory with Brick City Brawlers and that ended badly and was a black eye for the league. so we will see what the next moves will be.

mradone
Site Admin

Tulsa IFL

Post by mradone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:38 pm

I definitely think the IFL would be interested in coming to Tulsa in the future and hopefully near future. I understand what happened this past season in OKC, but I think this is an entirely different situation.

1. The OKC Arena was expensive to rent out for games (12-16K I think??)
2. There wasn't enough emphasis placed on marketing in OKC, some people didn't even know about the team.
3. There was way too much competition for sponsors/ fan base due to OKC now being an NBA market.
4. Poor play on the field.

Now conversely, Tulsa, could do well in the Tulsa, OK or surrounding areas market.

1. The beautiful, yet expensive BOK Center is NOT the only arena option in town. A team could easily be placed in the Spirit Bank Arena or the midtown Quiktrip Event Center, or even a team could be placed in the Muskogee, OK Civic Center or the Claremore, OK Arena., the two latter arenas are less than 1 hour away from Tulsa, and CAN accomodate indoor football. Bottom line if the right ownership group comes and effectively markets the team and doesn't get sucked into trying to play in the BOK Center, it could work.

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Sure Oklahoma City turned out to be a bust when a new ownership started a team in an IFL team in an old AFL market. However Tri-Cites, Green Bay, and Amarillo seem to have made that transition just fine. I think it has more to do with who and how a market is managed vs where it is managed. Now true some market will be a hard sale regaurdless of who that salesmen is and what he could provide. BUT going 12 years makes me think someone should give Tulsa a look.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:33 pm

I have heard some IFL owners not happy with how OKC and Arizona turned out and steps being taken to insure nothing like those happen again. Tulsa may be the greatest market in the world, but if not provided with good ownership could easily and quickly turn into the worst.

Of course some have made the transition from af2 to indoor, but one you mention Gusher, Tri Cities, started with indoor and fell flat with the new af2 ownership. At least the new majority ownership there has that old base on which to rebuild. In their previous indoor days this team sold out the 5000 plus venue regularly, but that declined under the af2 management. Even though current management is turning it around still has been unable to get over the 3500 mark consistently. Maybe its just the economy or maybe rebuilding the fan base a very tough job.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 pm

[quote=""Gusher""]Sure Oklahoma City turned out to be a bust when a new ownership started a team in an IFL team in an old AFL market. However Tri-Cites, Green Bay, and Amarillo seem to have made that transition just fine. I think it has more to do with who and how a market is managed vs where it is managed. Now true some market will be a hard sale regaurdless of who that salesmen is and what he could provide. BUT going 12 years makes me think someone should give Tulsa a look.[/quote]

It was "experienced" ownership... the same owners own the odessa/west texas team, but I wouldn't expect to see most of the texas teams back in the IFL, which would leave any potential Tulsa team on the southern end of the footprint.

The success, or failure, of a former arena market boils down to marketing and quality game day. Half-assing things like they did in OKC spells certain doom.

(The OKC team played in the Cox Convention Center(formerly known as The Myraid).. across the street from the NBA arena)

mradone
Site Admin

Tulsa

Post by mradone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Well said Bouncer, and that's the bottom line. I happen to live here in OK and I have seen the decline in attendance over the years here in Tulsa. The ownership was stable, and the marketing here was good, however, I still didn't understand why they moved from a smaller venue that they weren't selling out to a much larger arena??? OKC was simply a ticking time bomb. I do believe that there will be another team here as I said earlier, but I only hope that the marketing is taken seriously and the on-field product is good as well. Tulsa had great teams in its 12 year stint here. Only time will tell. As far as the TX indoor teams, I think it maight make more sense form a cost-benefit standpoint to join the new Texas indoor league that's supposed to be starting up. At least travel would be a minimal expense and games should be played (i.e. the Intense Football League model)

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Tulsa would work better in the IFL only if there was a strong OKC team to partner with. We saw how strong the OKC ownership was last year, and it should have never been let in.
Tulsa would make a good rivalry with Wichita, but when you start looking at its next nearest neighbors (Omaha, Grand Island), travel becomes a concern in a hurry. A strong Bossier-Shreveport ownership also would help Tulsa, no matter what league they would be in.
If OKC comes back, perhaps the Fairgrounds Coliseum might be looked at (the Blazers used to play a few games there when the Myriad was booked) and it was a nice, if somewhat older facility. Great sightlines there.

Return to “IFL”