Rochester Done?

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:24 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]Yawn. Blah Blah Blah. Yawn.

I don't know what's been more fun ... knowing what's going to happen and then watching it go down or watching the reaction to it.[/quote]
It's no fun knowing and not allowed post about it.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:26 pm

[quote=""newiflfan""]As a newcomer to the sport I saw some of you guys say how the offseason is a roller coaster. I never realized just how right you were![/quote]
Where's mace when you need him, as he always says........

BUCKLE UP!

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:06 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""]The AFL has made major improvements by bringing back New Orleans, Georgia, San Jose, Kansas City and Philadelphia. I would hardly call that "scathed"

[/quote]

I have been a supporter of the AFL and ridiculed IFL fans for implying that the IFL is superior both on and off the field. However, the point of my ridicule is that the AFL and IFL have different natural markets. The old AFL was the only league in non-11-man football to ever draw big crowds in big cities, and that's worth pursuing again. The IFL is the best chance for small cities to have something to cheer for in the summer that's air-conditioned and actually can claim to have a national championship.

But God help us if the SIFL is the future. Have we forgotten Greenville and the Houston Lightning in only 6 months? I can't think of an SIFL team that I had any interest in watching on video last year, as opposed to the Outlaws, Mariners or Commandoes. I can't even remember the names of any of the players, or hearing that any of them ever moved up to a better job. The SIFL is Single A, and while Single A has its place in a feeder system, if the SIFL were the highest expression of indoor football with its anonymous players, fill-in semi-pro teams and barrel-scraping economics then I would be too depressed to maintain any interest in the sport.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:02 pm

But God help us if the SIFL is the future.
Well, considering Hagar founded the SIFL after "God spoke to him"...

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:17 pm

1) CD, I just decided to sit back and let other people try to save the sport from itsself.

2) Super390 -- it's all single A football -- IFL, SIFL, AIFA, CIFL ... as long the pay scale remains.

3) Bouncer -- I've known Thom Hager for five years and consider him both a good friend and a good person. Please do me a favor by not continuing to judge the man by one newspaper quote. You're better than that.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:30 pm

[quote=""Kicker3""]Believe me Thurman Thomas was never a part owner of the Raiders[/quote]

Kicker I realize Bob was the money Thomas was just a figurehead public relations whatever you want to call him. My question is I read that the AFL is talking about starting a second tier league and Buffalo supposively applied a ownership group did is that true because I read a rumor? I am just asking if anyone in the know heard anything? I only brought up Thomas Thomas because Bob was recruiting Thomas and Kelly for a Buffalo af2 team a few years ago.

I personally don't think af2 will work in Buffalo with the high HSBC Arena rent and nowhere else to play but there in Buffalo. Buffalo would be a better fit in the AFL if the Buffalo Bills moved in my opinion? As for Rochester there not as good of a sports town as Buffalo and outsiders of the WNY area may finally start understanding that.

What Rochester offers over Buffalo is a cheaper rent older arena but after that not much. That is why besides Bob's money going which had alot to do with it that the team failed in my opinion it was never really embraced by the Rochester community even through they won a championship and were a good team. Bob could of funded the Rochester Raiders till the cows come home and they never would have turned a profit in my opinion for him in Rochester.

The Rochester Razorsharks in the PBL is next in Rochester in a year or two to fold in my opinion. There attendance is a house of cards again just my opinion. I am just telling it like it is. Rochester is a Rochester Red Wings IL baseball, Rochester Amerks AHL hockey, Rochester Knighthawks NLL indoor lacrosse and Rochester Rhinos NASL soccer market and that is about it. Even with those teams four teams I mentioned that connect with the Rochester community if the rest I didn't mention moved or folded the remaining four will still struggle in the Rochester sports market place in my opinion.

Buffalo and Rochester are different sports cultures. Besides the major league difference your also dealing with blue collar and white collar communities. Rochester is more white collar were Buffalo is more blue collar. So in Rochester there is more a attitude of indifference so you have to work harder to get a Rochester person to a game in my opinion where Buffalo in general they go to games and call a player or a owner a bum where in Rochester they just won't go period for a bad product or even in some cases a good on field product which the Rochester Raiders were. Rochester is what it is no excuse for not going to a good Rochester Raiders IFL product.

In Toronto the Buffalo Bills experience the same indifference like Rochester. Dollar Ralph is a awful NFL owner in my opinion and he is turning off even the loyal Buffalo sports fans but we put up with it for more then a decade. If I was AFL, UFL or CFL I would keep a eye on the Buffalo market that is where you want to be for football and yes it is going to cost a owner to rent our Buffalo stadiums/arenas. Sometimes you get what you paid for.

If Bob put that talented of a product that he put in Rochester in Buffalo we wouldn't be talking about the Raiders folding or Bob getting out in my opinion. Where Bob in my opinion screwed up was picking Rochester in the first place. If Bob spent the money on the high HSBC Arena rent for Buffalo things might have been different for him but we will never know.

I mean come on Bob put a championship team on the field and the Rochester community thumbed there noses at it. And don't tell me what about the Buffalo Destroyers AFL they were never champions in Buffalo like Rochester was in indoor football. The Destroyers better years with a winning product going to the Arena Bowl once was in Columbus not Buffalo. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:21 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]
3) Bouncer -- I've known Thom Hager for five years and consider him both a good friend and a good person. Please do me a favor by not continuing to judge the man by one newspaper quote. You're better than that.[/quote]

I have no reason to believe he is anything but a good person, I just don't know if I'm going to be starting an indoor football league essentially from scratch based on any quasi religious premonitions. He did, it's been fair i suppose. He's been making money I'd wager.

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:32 am

[quote=""daytonadan""]2) Super390 -- it's all single A football -- IFL, SIFL, AIFA, CIFL ... as long the pay scale remains.

[/quote]

Well, then there are four or five teams in it playing AA ball for single A pay, and those are the teams I want to see. I didn't have a computer fast enough to stream video until the 2010 season ended, but if I'd had one I would have wanted to watch Chris Dixon or Ben Mauk. I'm right in the middle of the SIFL in Houston and I don't know anything about its teams, until they get into trouble. In fact, I have no idea where Columbus or Albany are; I always think they're talking about the ones in OH and NY. Real minor league sports towns are places with some history like Johnstown or Green Bay or even old Birmingham. I can take those seriously a lot more easily than some shake 'n' bake white-flight exurbs that only had a feed store 20 years ago before the developers attacked. The idea that Spring or Sugarland are going to have single-A ballparks next year is absurd. At least the SIFL is going to put its third Houston franchise in Cypress, which is only 15 miles from me and legitimately can be called a Houston team, and it will sometimes (or often) play teams from a couple of Texas cities I'm familiar with (meaning not Hidalgo). They still have to get a single player I'd care to watch.

Return to “IFL”