OKC Yard Dawgz joining the IFL?

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:21 am

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]I think I saw somewhere last week that average attendance league wide was between 8 and 9K. If what I saw was accurate, thats quite a bit below old AFL averages.[/quote]

The discussion between af2 and AFL fans has been heated and disrespectful at times on some of the other boards. The af2 markets moved up the ladder and got a better product while the AFL markets feel like they've moved down to the af2.

aball
Site Admin

Post by aball » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 am

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]HUH?

The thread is about the Yard Dawz (previous af2 and current AFL team) possibly going to the IFL. The door was opened for the discussion. No one has been bashing or getting their panties in a wad. You can't compare the two sports but we can discuss the differences and possibilities. May the suspended guy is your brother?

Let's not forget the AFL is now equal to the af2 which was equal to several Indoor leagues.

I don't think the new af2 will go after too many Indoor teams besides the owners previously in the af2. Let's not forget even the new af2 will be far more expensive for owners than any of the Indoor leagues.

Most owners are looking at their wallets and financial statements far more then they used to.[/quote]

Funny how Caballo failed to list the most successful AFL teams in his attendance figures. Which makes his whole post invalid.

There have been over 200 indoor teams that have folded since 1998. Way more than the arena teams.

Who said this AFL is equal to AF2? I've even read Caballo himself (who is currently the biggest AFL basher out there) say the 2010 AFL is between the 2008 AFL and the AF2.

You say "fans on other boards" several times. I highly doubt you can speak for or represent other AFL fans opinions. In fact if you read the Arena Zone and Arena Fans sites, the fans are encouraged by the success of the AFL and the direction for 2011. On most of those forums, Caballo is often riduculed and made fun of and mostly ignored :p

If you read these forums, there is a lot of postive AFL playoff talk. http://www.arenafan.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

With the unraveling of the IFL, the SIFL has become the premire indoor league in the South. The only question is how many of the indoor teams move up to the proposed AF2.

As you can tell, I'm an SIFL fan.
Last edited by aball on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

aball
Site Admin

Post by aball » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:32 am

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]I think I saw somewhere last week that average attendance league wide was between 8 and 9K. If what I saw was accurate, thats quite a bit below old AFL averages.[/quote]

That's quite a bit higher than the 2K IFL average

Indoorfootballguy
Site Admin

Post by Indoorfootballguy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:08 am

http://www.aflfanzone.com/forum/topi...st-afl-podcast

This podcast on the AFL Fan Zone discusses in its first episode that there may be a new league starting in 2011 with defecting IFL teams and then in 2012 the league would then merge with the new af2.

Also the host has said that there may be a New UIF in 2011.

Does anybody have any more information about this? Thank you for any insight

aball
Site Admin

Post by aball » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:14 am

[quote=""Indoorfootballguy""]http://www.aflfanzone.com/forum/topi...st-afl-podcast

This podcast on the AFL Fan Zone discusses in its first episode that there may be a new league starting in 2011 with defecting IFL teams and then in 2012 the league would then merge with the new af2.

Also the host has said that there may be a New UIF in 2011.

Does anybody have any more information about this? Thank you for any insight[/quote]

Where there's smoke, there's fire. This does not bode well for the IFL.

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:05 am

[quote=""aball""]So what's the overall picture? Here's a link for last weeks AFL attendance numbers http://www.arenafan.com/

All but two AFL teams have had great attendance numbers this year, and those locations may be moved to New Orleans and Georgia next season. Keep the focus on the indoor leagues, unless you know what your talking about.

The AFL is alive and well.[/quote]

I was in OKC for the Dawgs/Talons game...

probably 4000 in the house at the most...

BlizzPack
Site Admin

Post by BlizzPack » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:42 am

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]Here's the numbers from the link. I've added (in bold) the averages for those cities back 6 years if possible, some haven't been around that long. Spokane is 4 yrs, Iowa 2 yrs, Milwaukee 1 yr, Utah 3 yrs, and their previous league the numbers came from.

We need to compare the markets to themselves and keep in mind the af2 markets are getting abetter product this year.

AFL Scoreboard
Week 18
Fri, July 30th
Spokane 13,000 - 10,368 - af2
Tulsa 7,702 - 5,486 - af2 - currently Home of the league office.
Iowa 10,420 - 9,493 - af2 - (has been previously in both AFL and af2)

Sat, July 31st
Milwaukee 9,423 - 4,270 - af2
Orlando 17,302 - 13,112 - AFL
Dallas 4,417 - 12,124 YIKES! - AFL
Utah 5,136 - 14,767 YIKES! - AFL

Milwaukee seems high, their fans have complained on other boards about weak attendance??

numbers not listed
Arizona
Alabama
Bossier-Shreveport
Tampa Bay
Cleveland
Oklahoma City
Jacksonville

[/quote]

You have the road and home teams backwards (Jacksonville had 13,000 not Spokane, etc)

I wish Milwaukee drew 9000+ lol

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:54 am

But it's not that different than where the AFL was ten years ago when it also was paying $400 a game. The thing is, it wasn't burdened with as many small markets back then; the teams it needed to get rid of were in places like Houston. If the AFL moves out of Bossier, Shreveport and Oklahoma City, it pulls its average attendance back most of the way to 10,000. It will probably do better than that in San Jose so it's just a matter of what happens in Philadelphia and Kansas City. How many teams would the IFL have to pull the plug on in order to get its average attendance to 3000? It doesn't matter because we all know the IFL will bring in a new bunch of shaky owners who will offset that with their ineptitude. The IFL has the means to make itself as stable as the AFL, but it lacks the self-control. An IFL-AF2 war is going to make things worse for everybody.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:01 am

Some here say the IFL is on shaky ground. It may or may not be, but the sport far less shaky than it was even 5 years ago. Since the demise of the IPFL indoor football has concentrated on mid size markets, not competing with the AFL. It was the AFL that spawned the competition with the af2 and granted fewer failures due to the financial model of the af2 as compared to indoor football which to some extent makes my argument that higher initial entry fees do cut down on the failure rate, but some on this board and others claim that lower fees are what's best in spite of the evidence.

The old AFL/af2 is just as guilty as the indoor leagues in trying to own the world with national expansion and we might just be back there again with this rumor of a new af2. Fans in general seem to prefer the more regional type of leagues.

I could care less what the AFL does, not a fan of that style, but I do care about the indoor leagues achieving more stability. Whether one likes the AFL style or the indoor style is not the issue as a failed market is a failed market regardless of what style it plays.

Right now I do not see the reformation of the UIF or a new splinter league of the AFL in anybodies best interest. We need co operation, not more league competition if things are going to improve.

Rooster
Site Admin

Getting back on topic

Post by Rooster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:51 pm

[quote=""Minor League Man""]I'm sorry, but I cannot see a system where Tulsa is major league but OKC is minor league...[/quote]

This is an easy reason why OKC is even considering this in a hypothetical scenario, they no longer play at Ford Arena since the NBA granted the city the Thunder. Now being banished to Cox Convention Center, that is a building that was constructed in the 1970's and it's age shows.

On the otherhand, Tulsa is where Kurz setup league shop because of their on field success dating back to the Skip Foster AF2 days and ease of transportation for a nation wide league. Much lower standard of living than the old Chicago AFL offices.

Regarding all the other hoopla in this thread just my two cents: 2010 AFL is that league in name only and is a beefer version of AF2 no matter what others say. If there is a 2nd tier league created I would be in favor of a relegation system - say Dallas stinks it up in AF1 like they are this season, have the top team from AF2.0 replace them the following the season.

As far as the SIFL overtaking the IFL, as long as they have guys like Tufford in place - fat chance. I'm hearing Jon Forcade may be in line to get yet another SIFL gig which is a total joke. There is a reason Forcade has been in every league every created and more times than not he has been fired.
Last edited by Rooster on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added Chicago
Will Work for Red Bull!

Return to “IFL”