The Texas Split Begins

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 am

Since I don't have any friends who are indoor football fans, I'm having to make an assumption about what people who come to games are looking for:

1. Casual walk-up fans who don't care who the opponent is.

2. Fans who want the opponents to be traditional regional rivals but don't follow the sport closely.

3. Serious fans who want opponents of the highest quality.

If you're jumping with other IFL teams to form an all-Texas league, you win with group 2 but lose with group 3. If you're jumping from the IFL to the SIFL, you lose even worse with group 3 but you may not help yourself with group 2 if they avoid games against even the Louisiana teams. In either case you win with group 1 because they don't care that you're just cost-cutting.

I can't see the advantage of an all-South league over an all-Texas league besides the supposed advantage that the SIFL is already established. Well, it's not that established. An all-Texas league could make a splash in local media, but as soon as those small-town sports editors hit Google for some SIFL background they're going to be appalled. What happened in Houston and Greenville are not representative of the SIFL, but they sure do look bad.

Which has me thinking that Dittman is only joining the SIFL because he's not bringing enough Texas teams with him to start a new league. Jerry and Daytonadan and others spend all kinds of time on this site talking about how to do an indoor league right, and there's no evidence that any of that will be a goal in a Texas secession.

arenafan
Site Admin

Solid Teams

Post by arenafan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:29 am

The SIFL isn't better because the Texas teams joined, the Texas teams are in better company because of the solid ORGANIZATIONS already in the SIFL. Columbus, Albany, Louisana, and Lafayette are WELL run teams on and off the field. All four organizations have quality coaches with championship resumes. For someone to say the Hammerheads are instant contenders is a stretch. More like they have a chance as do any team before the season kicks off. I think regional play has always been the answer so we will see how this plays out. The only difference with the SIFL is they are not trying to expand all over the country like the IFL and AIFA. Good luck to all the leagues, just do the fans right.

aball
Site Admin

Post by aball » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:18 pm

[quote=""super390""]Since I don't have any friends who are indoor football fans, I'm having to make an assumption about what people who come to games are looking for:

1. Casual walk-up fans who don't care who the opponent is.

2. Fans who want the opponents to be traditional regional rivals but don't follow the sport closely.

3. Serious fans who want opponents of the highest quality.

If you're jumping with other IFL teams to form an all-Texas league, you win with group 2 but lose with group 3. If you're jumping from the IFL to the SIFL, you lose even worse with group 3 but you may not help yourself with group 2 if they avoid games against even the Louisiana teams. In either case you win with group 1 because they don't care that you're just cost-cutting.

I can't see the advantage of an all-South league over an all-Texas league besides the supposed advantage that the SIFL is already established. Well, it's not that established. An all-Texas league could make a splash in local media, but as soon as those small-town sports editors hit Google for some SIFL background they're going to be appalled. What happened in Houston and Greenville are not representative of the SIFL, but they sure do look bad.

Which has me thinking that Dittman is only joining the SIFL because he's not bringing enough Texas teams with him to start a new league. Jerry and Daytonadan and others spend all kinds of time on this site talking about how to do an indoor league right, and there's no evidence that any of that will be a goal in a Texas secession.[/quote]

There is really no difference in player talent between the IFL and SIFL. They are all getting paid $200 a game.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:21 pm

This is a good move for both leagues. I have been told the IFL expected the move and knew that CC likely couldn't come back if it didn't switch leagues. The move allows CC to run a scaled-down operation and still remain competitive on and off the field. The SIFL gains a proven owner, though he'll now be trying to juggle two teams.

This thread is about a Texas split, but has anyone seen Odessa, Abilene, San Angelo or Amarillo mentioned as possible SIFL locations? I've seen Austin mentioned, but last I heard the TurfCats might be moving.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:28 pm

[quote=""preeths""]This is a good move for both leagues. I have been told the IFL expected the move and knew that CC likely couldn't come back if it didn't switch leagues. The move allows CC to run a scaled-down operation and still remain competitive on and off the field. The SIFL gains a proven owner, though he'll now be trying to juggle two teams.

This thread is about a Texas split, but has anyone seen Odessa, Abilene, San Angelo or Amarillo mentioned as possible SIFL locations? I've seen Austin mentioned, but last I heard the TurfCats might be moving.[/quote]

This may make sense, but lets be honest, what have the Hammerheads done to really grow in a market they have been in for five plus years? Now financially they can't compete in the IFL, but start a new team???? Where is the logic here?

I heard early on that the Texas teams were considering a jump to the SIFL till it ran into problems, then rethought that move, but now not sure what is in their minds.

You say a good move for Corpus, although I still think this is more about being in a better position to have things the Hammerheads owners way more than anything else. I just know Dittman and his history all too well.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:33 pm

I've heard rumblings specifically about CC (already moved), amarillo (if they don't go "d-league") and arkansas (after a move, which is it really a stolen team? who knows)

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:38 pm

[quote=""preeths""]
This thread is about a Texas split, but has anyone seen Odessa, Abilene, San Angelo or Amarillo mentioned as possible SIFL locations? I've seen Austin mentioned, but last I heard the TurfCats might be moving.[/quote]
They've all been weighing their options.

The Two Lonestar divisions will either merge or disappear.

Lonestar East
Arkansas - moving cities and 95% moving leagues
Corpus - moving leagues
Austin - moving cities, league undecided

That leaves San Angelo

Lonestar West
Amarillo - weighing their options and has the most clout

West Texas - both waiting for the chips to fall
Abilene

CorA
Site Admin

Post by CorA » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:54 pm

What about other non-Texas teams switching leagues?

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:34 pm

According to published accounts, the Arkansas ownership wasn't paying players toward the end of the season, and rumors were that they were close to running aground all year. They may not be welcome back in the IFL, anyway, and I would hope that any other league takes a good look at them before throwing the door open.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:40 pm

[quote=""CorA""]What about other non-Texas teams switching leagues?[/quote]
There are northern teams unhappy but what are their opitions?
The CIFL and AIFA? That grass aint greener and the AFL is too expensive.

Return to “IFL”