The Texas Split Begins

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:33 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]
seems like I get an argument from some every time I bring it up..........[/quote]
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger - lol

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:01 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]Paul, seems like I get an argument from some every time I bring it up, those who feel cheap franchise fees are good, but my opinion is still and will continue to be that you need a substantial upfront investment. A number large enough that you won't just walk away, will work harder to protect your initial investment. These leagues that offer cheap buy ins and I consider 20K or less cheap get what they get. In my opinion 50K is the minimum that should be asked to insure ownerships are serious and will do their part.

I also believe the franchise fee should be firm. I mean no deals, all pay the same. Franchise fees on top of "real" due diligence of course.[/quote]

But how do you do that in the face of free or less expensive leagues? I talked with a potential 2011 team lately that is still deciding on which league they'll play. They acknowledge that the IFL seems to be the most stable circuit, and all things being equal, is the league they'd choose. But franchise costs are not equal. The IFL's expense has made it a dead heat with another league which is effectively offering free membership and has a recent reputation of not collecting dues.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:35 pm

I'd say there's a place for both the inexpensive league and the more expensive league. There is a difference between what a market like Chicago can (and will) support, compared to Topeka, KS, compared to Marion, OH.
The problems come when either the cheap or not-so-cheap leagues let in ownership that just can't hack it. A prospective owner may have a good idea, but if he doesn't have the $$$ to follow through, then it's up to the leagues to say sorry, either get yourself some partners or come back when you win the Powerball (or MegaMillions).
Too many of the leagues today see themselves as mini-NFLs and it just ain't so. They're afraid if they turn down the broke-a$$, it will hamper their plans to be a coast-to-coast power, so they go in on a wing and a prayer, and the next Alaska, Greenville, West Michigan, etc., is born.
It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:21 pm

So since thier is no AF2 now. Would it be fair to classify the leagues sort of like minor league baseball or hockey? I would go for 2010-11 with IFL=AAA SIFL=AA Aifa/Cifl=A Everyone is is rookie ball. I think the SIFL will be much more respectable than the AIFA & CIFL next year.

aball
Site Admin

Post by aball » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:48 pm

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]So since thier is no AF2 now. Would it be fair to classify the leagues sort of like minor league baseball or hockey? I would go for 2010-11 with IFL=AAA SIFL=AA Aifa/Cifl=A Everyone is is rookie ball. I think the SIFL will be much more respectable than the AIFA & CIFL next year.[/quote]

Actually, with whats going on with the IFL/SIFL there's really no gap between the indoor leagues. Just different regions. Using your baseball example:

SIFL = AA
IFL = AA
AIFA = AA
CIFL = A

Pale Rider
Site Admin

Abilene has left the ifl for the sifl

Post by Pale Rider » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 pm

[quote=""aball""]actually, with whats going on with the ifl/sifl there's really no gap between the indoor leagues. Just different regions. Using your baseball example:

Sifl = aa
ifl = aa
aifa = aa
cifl = a[/quote]

it is official, the abilene ruff riders are in the sifl!

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Odessa, Amarllio, and San Angelo must be looking at thier options. With Austin looking at even more or less options.

Pale Rider
Site Admin

Post by Pale Rider » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 pm

[quote=""Gusher""]Odessa, Amarllio, and San Angelo must be looking at thier options. With Austin looking at even more or less options.[/quote]

What options? I mean ok so they play each other 3 times. That is 6 games and at least 4 of the remaining games will be long travels and higher cost. I don't see how financially they can make it work. At this point they will be going to the new WEST teams.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:18 pm

[quote=""Gusher""]With Austin looking at even more or less options.[/quote]

Austin's been in the AFL, IFL and SIFL, (current ownership has been in the IFL and SIFL) so it would be interesting to see where they would pick.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 am

Personally, I could see the Turfcats possibly moving to Cedar Park Center (home of the AHL Stars and now D-League Toros)
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

Return to “IFL”