The Texas Split Begins

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:29 am

[quote=""nksports""]Austin's been in the AFL, IFL and SIFL, (current ownership has been in the IFL and SIFL) so it would be interesting to see where they would pick.[/quote]
You forgot the af2 - Austin Wranglers, NIFL - Austin Knights & Austin Rockers, and IPFL - Texas Terminators.

The 3 you listed are; AFL - Austin Wranglers, SIFL - Austin TurfCats, IFL - Austin TurfCats.

And less than an hour down the road in Belton we had; PIFL - Texas Bullets, Intense League - Centex Barracudas.

nksports
Site Admin

To paraphrase Coolidge, "the business of (indoor football) is business"

Post by nksports » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 am

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]You forgot the af2 - Austin Wranglers, NIFL - Austin Knights & Austin Rockers, and IPFL - Texas Terminators.

The 3 you listed are; AFL - Austin Wranglers, SIFL - Austin TurfCats, IFL - Austin TurfCats.

And less than an hour down the road in Belton we had; PIFL - Texas Bullets, Intense League - Centex Barracudas.[/quote]

The af2 (as it used to be), NIFL and IPFL are no longer options, since they no longer exist. My point is the Austin owners know what they would be getting into with whatever league the team stays with or joins. If Austin jumps back to the SIFL, it says the league meets our needs and we can live with it. It could also mean we're short of $$$. If Austin stays, it might mean, we knew life in the SIFL and don't want to go back to it, or it might mean, yes our travel costs may go up but we like where we are. If Austin goes to the AFL, it means we have the $$$ to burn, but in the long run, there might be a better return on that $$$.

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:11 pm

[quote=""Pale Rider""]What options? I mean ok so they play each other 3 times. That is 6 games and at least 4 of the remaining games will be long travels and higher cost. I don't see how financially they can make it work. At this point they will be going to the new WEST teams.[/quote]

Just looking at some of the possible travel numbers Example San Angelo may be forced with traveling to one or several long road trips:
Wichita KS 530 miles 9hrs 7min
Omaha NE 577 miles 9hrs 25min
Ft. Collins CO 802 miles 14hrs 2min
Little Rock AR 826 miles 14hrs 11min (if they return)

Those numbers have to add up.

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Or if those teams go with the SIFL they could be looking at this kind of travel:
example San Angelo
Abilene Tx. 89 miles 1hr. 45min.
Corpus Christi Tx. 356 miles 6hrs. 3min.
Hidalgo Tx. 459 miles 7hrs. 54min.
Lake Charles La. 508 miles 9hrs. 7min.

And if the other purposed SIFL expansion markets were to join you could have teams in Allen Tx., San Antino Tx., Houston Tx. Travel could be even less.

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Sounds like a compelling argument that will have to be considered. I love it when the ego must take a back seat to logic and reason. Unless you are Wyoming of course.

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:01 pm

I wonder what the difference would be for travel lets say 6 or 7 hours vs 13 or 14. I would think depending on the day of game a 6 or 7 hour trip would not require a hotel stay, but a 13 or 14 will.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:49 am

[quote=""nksports""]The af2 (as it used to be), NIFL and IPFL are no longer options, since they no longer exist. My point is the Austin owners know what they would be getting into with whatever league the team stays with or joins. If Austin jumps back to the SIFL, it says the league meets our needs and we can live with it. It could also mean we're short of $$$. If Austin stays, it might mean, we knew life in the SIFL and don't want to go back to it, or it might mean, yes our travel costs may go up but we like where we are. If Austin goes to the AFL, it means we have the $$$ to burn, but in the long run, there might be a better return on that $$$.[/quote]
The AFL is not an option. Far more expensive and for what? To pretend you're a big league?

The biggest reason they left the SIFL was they were expanding away from Texas into SEC territory. Travel wouldn't have been viable, not only would it have been more expensive you've got to keep the players in mind, they do have day jobs.

The IFL was the only other option to continue playing this year. The SIFL has gained some good teams and now is moving back towards Texas. The SIFL is a cheaper business model and no matter what the UIF homers tell you it's not a step down from the IFL. Some of them remind me of the AFL homers pretending to be a major league looking down at the ammatuers. Pedestals were never my forte.

Why would it mean they're short of money? I never understood why someone had to go to the big name store and pay twice as much for the same thing you can get at a different store. Spending money on a hobby is one thing, but why throw lots more away for the same thing? To pretend you're special?

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Well I guess teams may be waiting until after the league meeting to make up their minds.
"Should I stay or should I go now"

secg
Site Admin

Post by secg » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:48 pm

You can paint it however you wont, but yes the SIFL is a step down from the IFL. The SIFL is a regional league, to the IFL's national league status. However, I'm not saying thats a a bad decision; I am indifferent on that subject some teams are just smaller and can flourish in a league with smaller markets.

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]The AFL is not an option. Far more expensive and for what? To pretend you're a big league?

The biggest reason they left the SIFL was they were expanding away from Texas into SEC territory. Travel wouldn't have been viable, not only would it have been more expensive you've got to keep the players in mind, they do have day jobs.

The IFL was the only other option to continue playing this year. The SIFL has gained some good teams and now is moving back towards Texas. The SIFL is a cheaper business model and no matter what the UIF homers tell you it's not a step down from the IFL. Some of them remind me of the AFL homers pretending to be a major league looking down at the ammatuers. Pedestals were never my forte.

Why would it mean they're short of money? I never understood why someone had to go to the big name store and pay twice as much for the same thing you can get at a different store. Spending money on a hobby is one thing, but why throw lots more away for the same thing? To pretend you're special?[/quote]

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 am

It worries me that we seem to be fated to having one league stretched out across the entire upper half of the country and another league stretched out half way across the lower half. This doesn't really look like the best arrangment for travel expenses. The BCS college conferences (except for the ACC and Big East) actually have better configurations - the SEC, Big 12 (-2), Big 10, and Pac-10 have lots of matchups that could be made by bus if they were actually poor enough to still travel that way.

Now the old SWC - that was a logical conference.

Return to “IFL”