IFL Spliting up?

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Indoorfootballguy
Site Admin

IFL Spliting up?

Post by Indoorfootballguy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 pm

http://www.valleycentral.com/sports/vid ... ?id=479053

It says in this video that there may be a new league with teams that defect from the IFL. Could this be a "New" Intense Football League or United Indoor Football?

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:37 pm

[quote=""Indoorfootballguy""]http://www.valleycentral.com/sports/vid ... ?id=479053

It says in this video that there may be a new league with teams that defect from the IFL. Could this be a "New" Intense Football League or United Indoor Football?[/quote]

All this crap and I mean crap is what is wrong with the game today. Owners need to just get over themselves and look to build on what they got, learn to work together and forget their freaking egos.

storm2010
Site Admin

Post by storm2010 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I sure don't know anything about a split up, but I do know one issue that remains unsolved is the diffence between southern team and midwestern teams scheduling. Midwestern teams want season to start right after super bowl and be done by early June. Southern teams want to start in March and go into July..

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Starting earlier has been proven to be the best route as attendance drops globally the deeper you get into summer. I think the old argument for starting later is that the earlier you start the more you conflict with hockey in some of the same venues.

I personally feel Saturday nights with an occasional Friday the best for attendance and with hockey being more established in most venues that creates a problem for Sat scheduling.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:01 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]Starting earlier has been proven to be the best route as attendance drops globally the deeper you get into summer.[/quote]

Exactly why I like the earlier scheduling. Here in West Michigan, the Griffins (AHL) are the only direct local sports competition during February/March. Come April/May football has to compete for fan dollars against both the Griffins and the Whitcaps (A level baseball).

In this area, the baseball team is king. It's got the most history and draws the best. The fewer times the ThunderHawks have to go head-to-head with them, the better. Granted, there is a greater risk for poor weather with the early schedules, but that's one worth taking.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:12 pm

Starting earlier has its advantages and depending on the area and other local competition those advantages may differ. I don't think there are many good arguments for a later start than February or early March. Even competing for venue space with local hockey is better than the steep attendance decline normally seen in July and August.

The other thing I think teams need to look at is not competing against other local sports, but working with them to maximize the fan base for both. Head to head games on the same day doesn't benefit either. If teams can cooperate, might even be able to share some advertising to both benefit and save a couple bucks in doing so.
Last edited by jerry101jlh on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Here in Grand Rapids a couple years back the baseball and hockey teams did just something like that, jerry. They offered a special ticket deal- one purchase got tickets to both a hockey game and a baseball game. The hockey game (I believe) was a night where they had a former Whitecap, now Detroit Tiger, come and greet fans before the game.

More stuff like this in ALL of sports would be a good thing.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:09 am

where there's smoke, there's fire. Another ding to the IFL. Not looking too good for the "premiere" league.

Again, the IFL made the mistake of trying to compete with the AFL, instead of worrying about their own backyard.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:01 am

[quote=""indoor fan""] the IFL made the mistake of trying to compete with the AFL[/quote]

:roll: ..........

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:14 am

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""] :roll: ..........[/quote]

I guess I should have said:

A few IFL fans made the mistake of trying to say the IFL could compete with the AFL.

Return to “IFL”