Turfcats done in Austin

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:36 pm

I never thought you meant folding, in fact hope they are relocating to somewhere they have a chance and do what it takes to succeed. Myself I'm thinking Beaumont or maybe just hoping

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:40 pm

"Details coming soon"? That's a sign of "making stories up".

Link or they're staying.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:54 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""]As a side note, the Turfcats will play their final home game in Austin this week vs Arkansas.

How long until Caballo officially becomes an IFL basher?[/quote]

PM sent, check your box.

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:42 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]I never thought you meant folding, in fact hope they are relocating to somewhere they have a chance and do what it takes to succeed. Myself I'm thinking Beaumont or maybe just hoping[/quote]

Me likes the Beaumont gets a team. I only wish this time they (beaumont franchise) is well founded and willing to really work to make it a sucess.

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 pm

The whole idea about the IFL being a "premier" league and different from the rest is precisely why their troubles are so amusing. I sat through a season of their schlock and it's not that entertaining. Partly to blame is the return of mediocre talent to the Chicago Slaughter but honestly the product I've witnessed is not much different than what we had with the CIFL. Although admittedly the games were more tightly contested, the excitment just isn't there. Taking a knee and dragging out that ridiculous last minute and a half is pathetic. That's where the Arena boys got it right. Forward progress at all times, make 'em play all the way to the end. The entire facade of the IFL pretending to be outdoor football indoors is silly.

IMO, to make 50 yd ball work you gotta get it over and done with in no more than 2 hrs. keep it moving at all times and let the guys play without the incessent # of penalties called. The constant stoppage in play is the biggest buzzkill in this sport. On the plus side the high scoring is gonna always attract fans and the peripheral t-shirt tosses and such help to keep the flow of the spectacle moving.

The league that can find itself keeping the scoreboard spinning and the action moving is gonna find themselves earning that "premier" tag.
Last edited by Bruiser on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Easy
Site Admin

Post by Big Easy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:42 am

In a league poll (Austin) fans overhwelmingly voted Austin best fans of the year in 2011. Unfortunately I could not get a quote from the GM. :p

/I keed, I keed
If integrity is missing, so are you.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:31 pm

[quote=""Gusher""]Me likes the Beaumont gets a team. I only wish this time they (beaumont franchise) is well founded and willing to really work to make it a sucess.[/quote]
The owner is from San Antonio.

just sayn'

JROB
Site Admin

Post by JROB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:03 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]The owner is from San Antonio.

just sayn'[/quote]

Where did the Old AFL San Antonio team play?? What were they the Gunslingers or something? Also, didn't the Texas Hurricanes/Houston Lightning start off in San Antone? I always heard it's too expensive of a market?

JROB
Site Admin

Post by JROB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:04 pm

WHen I say too expensive of a market, I mean to rent a venue... doh :rolleyes:

aball
Site Admin

Post by aball » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:56 pm

[quote=""JROB""]Where did the Old AFL San Antonio team play?? What were they the Gunslingers or something? Also, didn't the Texas Hurricanes/Houston Lightning start off in San Antone? I always heard it's too expensive of a market?[/quote]

The San Antonio Force played in the AFL in 1992. They played in the Hemishere Arena, which has since been torn down.

The San Antonio Steers played in the NIFL in 2007. The league tried to secure a home at a an Equestrian arena, but I don't think it worked out with dimensions. They only played a couple games, I believe.

San Antonio has had its share of professional football teams. None of them have lasted very long. I'm not sure if an IFL team would work there because of the lack of affordable venues.

Past San Antonio professional football teams:

SA Wings - WFL
SA Gunslingers - USFL
SA Force - AFL
SA Riders - WLAF
SA Texans - CFL
SA Matadors - SFL
SA Steers - NIFL

Return to “IFL”