Condition of Indoor football;Owners

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
blanketman
Site Admin

Condition of Indoor football;Owners

Post by blanketman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:34 am

Indoor football is a great concept. The problem is perception from the onset. Owners need to get a legion of guys in an area that have some money to offset the losses.The problem is when one guy, like me , can lose a million or so dollars in 4 years, it gets old.The Chicago Slaughter have it right . They have 20 owners to split ,profits if any;however, more importantly the annual losses.Alaska and Colorado are in trouble;what or who is next?Snap out of it guys.
Last edited by blanketman on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:25 am

This is some very troublesome news for the IFL. Who is next?

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:19 am

Hey Blanket, I thought you had a co-owner to share the burden with? ;)

I.E., if you are truly an expert then you know all these leagues have potential ownership issues.

There is a reason the bigshot NFL owners, celebs like McGraw and Bon Jovi, and dudes with some real cash like Fry, Wasserman, Levin, DeVos, et al are not involved in these fly by night leagues anymore.

When the NFL kissed off the original AFL and NBC proved that this sport is not watchable on television, the prospectus for success at this game was evident. Back at the turn of this century, owners honestly thought there was a chance to make some dough if the NFL bought an interest in the arena game and the product took off on national TV. That's why the players were smart to rush into their stance of threatening a strike if a collective bargaining agreement wasn't established. Everyone thought they'd take the risk and be rewarded with big time TV ad revenue and real NFL involvement down the line. But it failed. The AFL likes to blame the player's salaries for its demise but in reality it was the game itself that is to blame. Not enough people care to watch it on TV. It's had its chance on major networks: ESPN (multiple times in the past 20 yrs) , ABC, NBC, TNN, yadda yadda. And yet again people think NFL Network will be the AFL's saviour. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." How so true.

That is why without any visionary leadership (with bazillions of dollars to try and counteract the negative aura around indoor/arena football with a sustained damage control plan) you will always have this white trash sport rife with drama and constant failure.

There is no upside to this niche entertainment anymore but as long as mediocre owners try and bear the financial strain, I'm happier than a pig in slop to eat it all up. The atmosphere at these games is like a drug, you know it's not good for you but you just can't stop.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:29 am

Fly by night leagues? I take a little offense at that statement. Some of these leagues are comprised of teams close to 10 years old. Granted many teams and a few leagues have disappeared in that time as well, but the IFL is comprised of what is considered by most to be two of the most solid leagues in the history of the game.

Are there problems now, yes, but always has been, always will be. Its the nature of sports at this level in general. Some leagues in other sports do well, others not so well and in indoor football, no difference.

The economy is not great, teams in any sport at any level, including the NFL are looking to cut costs to survive. Not saying any NFL teams won't survive by the way, but at this level there will be changes. Some ownerships are not as solid as others, I give you that, and would like to see that change, but that is doubtful. My opinion is this is more a sign of a poor economy than poor ownership.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Success at this level of minor league sports is all about marketing. Balancing "family entertainment" with all the passion and intensity of football at its most raw and primal. In order for people to show up to your games, they have to know your game exists, and you have to give them a reason to come to your game as opposed to watching the Big XII basketball tourney finals on TV. Sadly, the football itself doesn't sell itself in most markets.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:48 pm

It's a tricky situation and the economy is a huge factor as the sport is run on discretionary income. Local marketing is also a huge factor but the price of real advertising typically costs far more than a team can recoup. This is why front offices need to bombard every media outlet they can with constant articles and information. Most local media ignores the sport and you need to put out a boat load of press releases to get a couple actually mentioned or printed.

I've given up on TV helping expand the the game, it's great for the avid fans that jones for some games but it doesn't show well on the tube. The masses not interested don't usually check it out because the broadcast is usually far behind the quality of other sports. I'm glad any games will be shown but working on the local population with community involvement is probaly more productive than a TV deal to the masses.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:57 pm

[quote=""blanketman""]Indoor football is a great concept. The problem is perception from the onset. Owners need to get a legion of guys in an area that have some money to offset the losses.The problem is when one guy, like me , can lose a million or so dollars in 4 years, it gets old.The Chicago Slaughter have it right . They have 20 owners to split ,profits if any;however, more importantly the annual losses.Alaska and Colorado are in trouble;what or who is next?Snap out of it guys.[/quote]
Most franchises in all leagues lost money in a good economy. The owner of the AFL Wranglers lost about $4.5 mil in their last year before moving to the af2. They lost about $15 mil during the 3 years he owned the AFL team. He also owned 9 af2 teams and while the losses were smaller they were still a part of business.

Years ago 50 yard teams were just a hobby for the rich guys and a way for them to own a professional team. No different than spending millions on vacation homes, trips, or whatever hobby they enjoyed. There's only so much they're willing to lose/spend on the hobby.

The AFL moving to the 2.0 sifted out the billionaires treating it as an investment and lowers the cost of doing business and hopefully the losses for the passionate hobbyist to be able to continue. Indoor leagues are even a less expensive way to own a team in the weak economy.

I still believe the sport needs to strive for a positive public image instead of the varrying styles beating up on each other. The overall success of the entire sport is a larger benefit of fans of all styles than it is for one style to dis the other for personal ego bumps.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Well said and 100% true. Too bad some owners don't see it this way.

Success at this level of minor league sports is all about marketing. Balancing "family entertainment" with all the passion and intensity of football at its most raw and primal. In order for people to show up to your games, they have to know your game exists, and you have to give them a reason to come to your game as opposed to watching the Big XII basketball tourney finals on TV. Sadly, the football itself doesn't sell itself in most markets.

Any who buy a team solely to make money is a fool. You do it for ego, for passion of the sport or any other reason except to make money. Id you show a profit, great, but most don't.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Ah Bruiser...

Post by daytonadan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:00 pm

The sport is watchable on TV if you go outside the box. We tried a couple of things in Daytona Beach with the PBS station and they worked.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:27 pm

[quote=""daytonadan""]The sport is watchable on TV if you go outside the box. We tried a couple of things in Daytona Beach with the PBS station and they worked.[/quote]
Sez who? How did it "work"? What kind of ratings you pull on that station? My guess is not much of any until the end of the game when the Bert and Ernie crowd tuned in early. ;)

I'd definately prefer to be at the arena but I'll watch an arena/indoor game if I know the league or players. Couldn't be bothered with the AIFA games that were on FoxSPortsnet a few years ago though. Uninteresting and most local talent out east. Basically, bad uninspired football is still bad uninspired football on TV too and if you dont have a connection with the players or the city the team plays for it's not worth the effort. NO ONE OF ANY WORTH CARES ABOUT INDOOR FOOTBALL ON TV. The ones that do are all at the arena - other than the half dozen on here who'll say they just love indoor ball on the tube. That'll sure pay the bills. :roll:

Return to “IFL”