Condition of Indoor football;Owners

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 am

[quote=""storm2010""]You missed the whole point of my post then.. Location, promotion, product, management. The 4 ingrediants to a successful buisness. Even with the off field problems last year, we still had sell outs. I log onto Ark game tonight and maybe they got 500 people there. Colorado last week played the defending champion Billings and had maybe 500 people.
I agree that its a combination of different factors and a website means little to nothing..[/quote]

Didn't miss the point at all, but you did put too much emphasis on the dame itself in my opinion when I feel all you mention needs to be more balanced. The only thing I see as maybe less relevant is location. I say that because most don't have the luxury of being the only entertainment in town, have competition. Over all I agreed with what you said.

Bouncer_Texxx
Site Admin

Post by Bouncer_Texxx » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:00 pm

Let's not kid ourselves, if the Storm don't start completing some simple tasks like replying to email and answering the office phone and returning calls, we might be lucky to get 2500 to the home opener against Billings.

Most businesses, and speficially indoor football teams see marketing money spent as wasted money because it's impossible to gauge the ROI, so it's the first thing to get cut when times are tight. Colorado would be selling out their arena if they could field a competitive team. Wichita has seen a huge boom in their attendance largely due to marketing and a nice playoff run last year.

storm2010
Site Admin

Post by storm2010 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:18 pm

[quote=""Bouncer_Texxx""]Let's not kid ourselves, if the Storm don't start completing some simple tasks like replying to email and answering the office phone and returning calls, we might be lucky to get 2500 to the home opener against Billings.

Most businesses, and speficially indoor football teams see marketing money spent as wasted money because it's impossible to gauge the ROI, so it's the first thing to get cut when times are tight. Colorado would be selling out their arena if they could field a competitive team. Wichita has seen a huge boom in their attendance largely due to marketing and a nice playoff run last year.[/quote]

Must just be you, I had zero trouble getting my tickets..

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Colorado has only themselves to thank for their situation, as does any other team drawing less than 2500.

Colorado has a combo GM/Head Coach. These days impossible for one person to do both good. Sanders has proved to be a decent, not great, but decent coach, but most likely trying to do two jobs means doing neither good.

douglas mccarthy
Site Admin

all you guys

Post by douglas mccarthy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:36 am

should own and run a team you all have great ideas so invest and do it

there is soo much more that no one sees but everyone has their take on things i think indoor football is doing just fine and the ifl is doing it right i cant wait for the games to start so we can start talking football ohh wait the games have started

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:41 am

[quote=""douglas mccarthy""]should own and run a team you all have great ideas so invest and do it

there is soo much more that no one sees but everyone has their take on things i think indoor football is doing just fine and the ifl is doing it right i cant wait for the games to start so we can start talking football ohh wait the games have started[/quote]

Guessing I'm not alone in living in a dream world. Doug, never under estimate what some fans may or may not know about the inner workings of things. That would be a mistake.

douglas mccarthy
Site Admin

jerry

Post by douglas mccarthy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:48 am

im just saying everyone thinks they can do better i am just a fan i am just tired of all the complaining i love football and this stuff aint as easy as it seems or as many say it is we are all fans i would hope alittle encouragement and props might help some of these guys instead of saying whats wrong with the sport lets try to say whats right with it cause this sport is great to whatch and the ifl does alot of right things and if i recall there isnt a down that hasnt been played in this league for quite some time

douglas mccarthy
Site Admin

lets say this

Post by douglas mccarthy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:54 am

for instance if a new fan came on this board and was trying to find out about indoor football what would he read here ill tell you what he will read all negative stuff about the sport would that help attendance would that help marketing in a way we are killing the sport for the average fan who knows nothing about the sport so lets try and keep that in mind

daytonadan
Site Admin

Okay, Doug, you have a point

Post by daytonadan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:54 am

We do spend more time talking about off-field issues than what happens on the field.

But Doug, here's the deal.

You owner types aren't doing the product justice.

Here's a write-up from one's IFL team's victory:

In a wild raucous game that seen 5 lead changes in the last 2 minutes and 49 seconds the raiders prevailed on a last second fieldgoal by raider ace kicker Adam Lancott to pull out the victory ! after chicago erased a 17 point 3rd quarter deficit to take the lead 47 to 46 with only 21 ticks on the clock remaining the raiders managed to get into long field goal range for the games hero adam lancot to split the uprights with no time remaining for the walk off win to horrify the huge 7000 plus crowd at the sears center last saturday night ! what a great way to start off the raider season right at 1 and 0 and to set the tone for an anticipated great season , go raiders!

Well, at least you had the decency to lift a Melissa Isaacson article afterwards. We worked together in Orlando. She's great.

Okay, Doug, instead of our usual pi$$ing matches, answer some questions.

1) First of, you never answered my question from last week: If I can track down and publish the results from 8 high school basketball games in an hour.s time, why can't the premier indoor league do the same with its games?

2) Are you concerned that in just the second week of the season, one team has been taken over by the league and another announces its up for sale? What does that say about the league's financial and business solidarity?

3) One expansion team drew less than 1600 fans and another 500 on opening night? Is this a cause for concern?

Bad enough the executives use the Benizio doctrine to justify the current situation, now you throw fault to a few message board trolls. You're better than that.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:27 am

Doug. I understand what you are saying. Maybe not good for new fans or someone interested in starting a team to read all the negatives. I've heard the keep it positive for those same reasons for 10 years now and it's just a nice way of sweeping the dirt under the carpet.

I will go back and say something I've said many times before. Do business right and there won't be any dirt to sweep under the carpet. To my way of thinking it never ceases to amaze me that leagues continue down the path of destruction. None of these problems are new, most if not all going back to the very start of this sport. I think it was the creator of the indoor game, Dick Suess, that first decided no franchise fees was a great idea. Let everyone that wants a team in for free. Well that has only proved one thing, the less invested, the easier to just walk away when it doesn't work.

All I'm saying is nothing new here, nobody posting any problem areas that haven't existed for years, yet they are still here, why????

At times I do think there is progress, but that quickly disappears. It's that circle thing Dan refers to.

Return to “IFL”