Ronald Oswalt?

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
Independent
Site Admin

Ronald Oswalt?

Post by Independent » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:44 pm

Ronald Oswalt is no longer with the Turfcats?

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Hmmmmmm......If you read between the lines, you can see that he was forced out. Oswalt tried to make himself the face of the Turfcats, even ahead of the players and coaches. I've never heard of a GM giving quotes about the game to the media.

With Oswalt gone, I think the Turfcats will begin to prosper.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Ron,
Thanks for all you've done to lay the foundation for the Austin TurfCats.
It's far easier to sit at a keyboard and be the Monday morning GM than it is to live it. Most of us have the luxory of going to work each day below the radar of public scrutiny, which is a good thing because most of us would probably fail the forum's litmus test.

Some complain you came across as too arrogant, while other thought it was confidence. They say you spoke out too much and was too imbedded in the publics eye. The same people who have complained for years that the 50 yard game didn't get enough attention or media coverage. How can you have it both ways? It's an impossible goal to please everyone and usually leads to failure when you attempt it. You were definitely a leader that marched to your own tune and Austin got to enjoy the fruits of your efforts in year one.

You got the word out about the team and the league and kept them in the media. The forum posters should understand the difficulty of attracting media attention as the sport has always been ignored and scoffed at by the masses and the media. Some may not like your style, but it's the aggressiveness and your undying efforts that are needed to build a successful franchise.

You not only put the organization together piece by piece, you did it in a market that had become skeptical of the sport after several teams had previously come and gone.

The naysayers must admit the TurfCats had the most PR put out to the media and some of the most vocal fans in the SIFL. You always had time to meet the fans and discuss their concerns and regularly visted the tailgates to thank the fans. You created a fan friendly atmosphere and top notch football entertainment for our enjoyment. Definitely the best dollar for dollar entertainment value available in the Austin market.

Were you perfect? No, but who on this forum can say they are. You hired and trained a staff that became very tops in the league. You built a solid expansion franchise that was able to compete with an existing three time league championship organization and on a much smaller budget.

Were mistakes made? Sure, but all in all, myself and all of the T-Cat fans I've spoke with are very thankful to you for putting Austin back on the football map in a positive light and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Once again, THANKS for everything Ron.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:17 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""]
I think the Turfcats will begin to prosper.[/quote]
Begin?

This is the 5th different league to attempt a team in the Austin market, so we started behind the 8 ball of skepticism from the masses. (6 if you include the Centex Barracudas of the Intense League 30-45 minutes up the Interstate)

The Turfcats were an expansion franchise started from nothing. Austin soon became well known around the sport. They went 10-3, only losing to two teams and two of the three losses were to the three time back to back to back league champions, the Louisiana Swashbucklers. And the Turfcats even recorded a rare regular season victory against the `Bucs that many established teams had been unable to do over the years. The only thing that would have been better would have been to beat the `Bucs in the championship game, something no one has been able to do over the past three years.

Attendance and sponsors grew over the season, granted it must continue.

Begin to prosper? I would say continue to prosper. The TurfCats have moved up to a tougher league and it will be much more difficult to match their on the field success this season. Having a good front office and coaching staff in place will help the transition for year two immensly.

All of last seasons success wasn't an accident, it was because of the solid foundation that was built both in the office and on the field. If none of this credit goes to Ron then you guys know far less than I thought about the inner workings of a franchise and how difficult it is to build one.

Gusher
Site Admin

Post by Gusher » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:20 pm

"Well Said"
By Ronald Oswalt

I kid I kid

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:58 am

Never, ever believe your own B***s***.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

trifecta
Site Admin

Post by trifecta » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 am

Nobody likes to see anyone lose their job. Sounds like the Owner might have wanted a relative to take the reigns....Definitely his perogative.

Minor League Sports is a burn and churn business.

Never met Oswalt but I knew he was in trouble when in one of his first on air interviews he said that the Turfcats would be different than other past Austin Arena teams AND that the only thing he was worried about was that he would not have enough seats in the arena.

Like the other Arena teams were doing something wrong as to the reason for their demise.....Arrogant.

In addition I would say his constant quotes in every press release were a bit annoying. Almost like he wanted to see his name in print.

The one I really feel for is Caballo....He will have to cuddle up to a new GM in order for him to remain "In the Know".

Big Easy
Site Admin

Post by Big Easy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 am

Not surprised. The good news? He finally has legitimate indoor football management experience to bring to his next opportunity.
Last edited by Big Easy on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If integrity is missing, so are you.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:32 pm

[quote=""trifecta""]Nobody likes to see anyone lose their job. Sounds like the Owner might have wanted a relative to take the reigns....Definitely his perogative.

Minor League Sports is a burn and churn business.

Never met Oswalt but I knew he was in trouble when in one of his first on air interviews he said that the Turfcats would be different than other past Austin Arena teams AND that the only thing he was worried about was that he would not have enough seats in the arena.

Like the other Arena teams were doing something wrong as to the reason for their demise.....Arrogant.

In addition I would say his constant quotes in every press release were a bit annoying. Almost like he wanted to see his name in print.

The one I really feel for is Caballo....He will have to cuddle up to a new GM in order for him to remain "In the Know".[/quote]

Hahaha.....no doubt. I'm sure Caballo already has a "man crush" on Mr. Martinez, the new Turfcats GM. He will be lingering around the parking lot asking if he can help clean up, wash his car, etc., etc.

Return to “IFL”