Who wants to talk about PLAYOFFS?!

The Indoor Football League (IFL) forum
mathetyes
Site Admin

Who wants to talk about PLAYOFFS?!

Post by mathetyes » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:23 pm

I do.

Does anyone know what tiebreakers are being used? I presume head-to-head and record in division are considered primarily.

Here's how I see things unfolding - I'm very interested to hear what others say:

In order of decreasing certainty:

Pacific Division - Billings has clearly wrapped up the bye. Their game against Omaha does matter to them, though, for securing homefield advantage over El Paso (and throughout the playoffs). Fairbanks will hold on to the second seed, by virtue of getting to play Alaska two more times. The first round game between Fairbanks and Colorado will likely be competitive, but the next one in Montana won't be.

Lonestar Division - El Paso has clearly wrapped up the bye. They are impressive enough that I expect they will win out the regular season at this point, even over my Rochester team. Abilene will secure the second seed, by virtue of getting to play Odessa twice. The first round game between Abilene and Corpus Christi may be competitive, but the game in El Paso won't be (does this sound familiar?).

The game between Billings and El Paso is likely to be for the championship, in my impression. And I don't have a guess on what happens in that one, although conventional wisdom puts Billings on top.

Central Division - This is the one place where the top seed is still open to competition. Bloomington is done, but has set a challenging goal for Omaha. Wichita looks to secure the third seed - I think they can take it with RiverCity, but they have a good backup plan against Alaska. So, Sioux Falls is out by having lost 3 times to Billings - well, it seems they'd already proven that weren't winning a championship by that. Omaha, I think (if I read tiebreakers correctly), needs to defeat both Sioux City *and* Billings. Although they did it once, I'm guessing it won't happen again and Bloomington ends up as the #1 central team. #2 will probably easily defeat Wichita, but I can't see who wins an Omaha - Bloomington division matchup. Should be a good game, and definitely one I'm looking forward to seeing.

Atlantic Division - I admit I also saved this for last because it's where my loyalties lie. I think Maryland has secured the bye. It looks to me as if second place will be determined in this week's "Game of the Week" with Maryland visiting Rochester. Rochester seems to have finally settled on a lineup that can do things, but they'll definitely need to play up to their abilities to beat Maryland. If Rochester does beat Maryland they look to gather the home wildcard spot. It seems the same will happen if RiverCity loses its game to Wichita. This interpretation has something to do with tiebreakers. If head-to-head is used first, and one of these events happens, then Rochester will secure by having beaten RiverCity. Based on the last game against RiverCity and RiverCity's play since then, I believe Rochester will beat RiverCity either way. Naturally, I'd prefer to see them do it in person. I don't think RiverCity has a chance against Maryland, and I think Rochester only has a slim chance in Maryland for the division title *if* Rochester figures them out at home. If they've lost 3 times to them already, nothing different will happen in the 4th time.

On the United side of everything, it looks like Omaha, Bloomington, Maryland, and Rochester will be playing in the second round. I think it will be interesting to see who ends up with the conference title, but don't expect they will challenge Billings or El Paso to the league title.

Thanks to all for the fun of following the IFL. I hope others out there are enjoying it as much as I am. I also hope to hear other's thoughts on the developing playoffs. Early in the season, there were predictions on this board - I didn't know the teams well enough to participate then. Now, I am definitely eager to hear what others say . . . your turn.

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:24 pm

In 2005 Sioux City beat Sioux Falls three out of three games in the regular season. They met for a fourth time in the title game and Sioux Falls won. Nothing is guaranteed. Sioux Falls will be out of the playoffs this year, so it's moot as far as them facing Billings again. Rochester could very well lose to Maryland at home this coming week and then beat them in the playoffs though. I think Rochester will win at home though and should get the second seed in the Atlantic over reeling RiverCity. What's the home situation for Rochester in the playoffs though? Can a venue be found, I know there were issues as the season started that it wouldn't be available.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

mathetyes
Site Admin

Post by mathetyes » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:43 pm

[quote=""BananaCat""]In 2005 Sioux City beat Sioux Falls three out of three games in the regular season. They met for a fourth time in the title game and Sioux Falls won. Nothing is guaranteed. Sioux Falls will be out of the playoffs this year, so it's moot as far as them facing Billings again. Rochester could very well lose to Maryland at home this coming week and then beat them in the playoffs though. I think Rochester will win at home though and should get the second seed in the Atlantic over reeling RiverCity. What's the home situation for Rochester in the playoffs though? Can a venue be found, I know there were issues as the season started that it wouldn't be available.[/quote]

Anything can happen, but I don't see Rochester losing to MD 3 times, and then winning *in MD*. The Raiders have been poor on the road, and I don't think if they don't have any confidence to build upon, that they will find a way to win down there. Good question for a place to play, but after searching a little, I see no signs that the arena is in use on 7/18, the natural date for a playoff game. Of course, there could be other reasons.

Btw, a heads up for all - it looks as if the final regular season game against Muskegon is *Friday, July 10*, not Saturday, July 11. If you go on Saturday, you're likely to encounter "The Terrific Teen Tour", which may not be so terrific for you.

agqkindaguy
Site Admin

Billings - Fairbanks

Post by agqkindaguy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Although Billings has beaten Fairbanks everytime they have played them this season I wouldn't count Fairbanks out yet. The last game was the closest and Fairbanks actually lead in that game. Fairbanks could be the cinderella team... Go Grizz!!!!

lrrrhino
Site Admin

Playoffs/Schedule

Post by lrrrhino » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:46 pm

I agree that Billings is definitely the team to beat. Haven't had a chance to see El Paso play, but Billings seems to score at will! Rochester seems to be peeking at the right time. Bloomington and Omaha have had some classic battles over the past few years. My final 4 - Billings over El Paso, Omaha over Rochester and Billings winning it all at home. It's been an interesting season getting a chance to see some of the teams from outside the old UIF!

I know that the league schedule is a challenge when dealing with the availability of a particular venue on a particular date, but not playing a team in your own division is crazy!! I haven't looked at all the teams schedules but I'm sure it has happened more than once. Just as an example: Omaha plays Billings 3 times, Colorado twice, both teams in the other conference, and don't play Bloomington the entire season! Very good chance both teams will finish 10-4, but Bloomington will get 1st place based on a better divisional and conference record?

Another crazy scheduling blunder: Maryland going to Alaska and then having Alaska come to Maryland the following week??

You may not be able to schedule each team against all the teams in their own conference, but at least schedule one game against everyone in your own division. Other than that, its been an enjoyable season!

agqkindaguy
Site Admin

Post by agqkindaguy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:10 pm

I agree with you on the scheduling especially down there in Texas lol it seemed like they played each other more than they did the rest of the league. I understand the costs of travel but maybe they should of fielded teams closer to gether than all over the globe. I hope they come up with a schedule next season that limits the number of games one team plays in their division. A numbers of teams were playing each other three or four times this season. There needs to be a more balanced scheduled next season. I'm sure there will be expansion is in the near future.

BananaCat
Site Admin

Post by BananaCat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:04 pm

[quote=""agqkindaguy""]Although Billings has beaten Fairbanks everytime they have played them this season I wouldn't count Fairbanks out yet. The last game was the closest and Fairbanks actually lead in that game. Fairbanks could be the cinderella team... Go Grizz!!!![/quote]
Never count anyone out. That said, Billings will win.
Indoor Football Forum .com

Indoor Football Forum
on Facebook and Twitter

Live Scores
on Twitter and Facebook

nobby1979
Site Admin

Post by nobby1979 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:08 am

[quote=""lrrrhino""]I agree that Billings is definitely the team to beat. Haven't had a chance to see El Paso play, but Billings seems to score at will! Rochester seems to be peeking at the right time. Bloomington and Omaha have had some classic battles over the past few years. My final 4 - Billings over El Paso, Omaha over Rochester and Billings winning it all at home. It's been an interesting season getting a chance to see some of the teams from outside the old UIF!

I know that the league schedule is a challenge when dealing with the availability of a particular venue on a particular date, but not playing a team in your own division is crazy!! I haven't looked at all the teams schedules but I'm sure it has happened more than once. Just as an example: Omaha plays Billings 3 times, Colorado twice, both teams in the other conference, and don't play Bloomington the entire season! Very good chance both teams will finish 10-4, but Bloomington will get 1st place based on a better divisional and conference record?

Another crazy scheduling blunder: Maryland going to Alaska and then having Alaska come to Maryland the following week??

You may not be able to schedule each team against all the teams in their own conference, but at least schedule one game against everyone in your own division. Other than that, its been an enjoyable season![/quote]

I cant quite remember exact dates, but I believe this happened because Bloomington and RC were switched AFTER the skeds came out.

Return to “IFL”