Stingers 61 Green Cove/Jax 29

The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) forum
billm75
Site Admin

Stingers 61 Green Cove/Jax 29

Post by billm75 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:00 am

The Columbia Defense was a wrecking machine tonight. Interceptions returned for TD's.....Safety after Safety. This team came out to play!

Coach Corey Miller took over QB duties for most of the game and did a pretty good job with it for a former Linebacker. In all, the team looked solid.

The only thing I will say negative about the entire night, was that I was sitting right behind the visitor's bench with my dad, my wife, and my 7 year old son, and #99 from the Lions decided the best response to a little heckling was to give us the finger. If that wasn't the "classiest" move I've ever seen, I don't know what is.

I will give credit to the rest of the Lions team, however, they were a class act and they played the best they could tonight. #81 knew what the heckling was all about and when I shook his hand after the game, he said he enjoyed it tons!

Other than that, this game was just awesome! Right around 2000 in attendance, but hey, our next home game should bring in near 4,000 right Stingers Faithful!!!???

GO STINGERS!!!!!!!
Bill

http://www.stingersnest.com
http://www.iiflfootball.com - Management-based Internet Indoor Fantasy Football Free to join!

Dubs
Site Admin

Post by Dubs » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:43 am

Congrats on the good turnout & the good win. The fans in Columbia needed that in the worst way. I'm happy for you guys.

Arena Fan
Site Admin

Post by Arena Fan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:58 pm

From the State Newspaper:

Defense teaches Lions game of takeaway
Columbia earns first franchise victory thanks to turnovers and old-is-new QB
By CHRIS DEARING - Special to The State

Stingers 61, Lions 27

Before the game, Jacksonville coach David Simmons advised his team, “Hit that bull’s eye, put him back in time.”

He was referring to Columbia player/coach Corey Miller, a former USC star and nine-year NFL veteran. Miller, a linebacker in his pro career, came out of retirement for one game and played quarterback.

It seemed to spark the Stingers as they used a nasty defensive effort for the first win in franchise history in a 61-27 victory against the Lions (0-2) on Saturday night at the Colonial Center.

The Stingers defense put the bull’s eye on the Lions quarterback. They harassed and pressured the two Jacksonville quarterbacks into six turnovers and scored three defensive touchdowns.

“I was a little nervous in the beginning because I hadn’t put the pads on in so long,” the 6-foot-4, 298-pound Miller said. “I knew those guys knew I was playing and was going to be a target. Hopefully my one comeback will help us the rest of the season.”

Miller, 38, has been out of football since after the 2000 season. But the defense and special teams scored 31 points. They nabbed five interceptions, two of which were returned for touchdowns by former South Carolina players Tremaine Tyler and Brian Elam. There was also a fumble recovery for a score by Curtis Isaac and two safeties.

Isaac’s score with 11 seconds remaining in the half gave Columbia (1-4) the lead for good at 34-27. He fell on the ball in the end zone after Quentin Thompson and Mike Foust forced the fumble. The Stingers scored the final 34 points of the game.

The defense did not allow a second half point and recorded 10 sacks.

“We went out and played as a team,” Tyler said. “The defensive line made it real easy for the DBs. If it wasn’t for them I probably wouldn’t have got those interceptions.”

Tyler’s return set the stage. He stepped in front a pass and returned it 47 yards for a touchdown.

Miller, who finished 7-for-20 for 87 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions, tallied the first points in his pro career with a 16-yard pass to Dejarvis Rodgers in the first quarter. He hit Rodgers in stride on a post pattern and after a quick fake, Rodgers easily danced into the end zone. Miller added a 30-yard touchdown pass to Rodgers before calling it a night after three quarters.

The two turnovers were a far cry from the eight turnovers the Stingers had in their last game.

“I had an interception for a touchdown called back (in the NFL) so I guess this is my official touchdown as a pro,” Miller said.

The defense barely allowed the expansion Lions past midfield the rest of the way. Miller thought it was a good way to end the week in which the Stingers had to postpone a game because they did not have the turf field yet and some rumblings of players not being paid on time.

“There were so many negative things in the week and I was just trying to change the atmosphere,” Miller said of his decision to play. “I want to minister to these youths and they’ve bought into it. Hopefully the next four home games will be great.”

TheHulk
Site Admin

Post by TheHulk » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:51 pm

The question is...how legitimate are the Green Cove Lions? They've played two games already? (Pardon, my innocence, but who did Green Cove lose to the first time out?)

billm75
Site Admin

Post by billm75 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Hulk, I get where you're coming from, it's not like they beat the Guard or the Marshals, but for a team that was winless through 5 weeks, a win is a win no matter who it's against. Any port in the storm will do. ;)

It was fun to watch and Green Cove didn't look any worse than the stingers have looked in their first few games.
Bill

http://www.stingersnest.com
http://www.iiflfootball.com - Management-based Internet Indoor Fantasy Football Free to join!

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:31 pm

Green Cove fell at Greensboro, 72-6, last Saturday.

finatic
Site Admin

Post by finatic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:29 pm

the stingers played an awesome game....#99 of the grrencove jacksonville lion pelicans was ghetto trash in every way....what a loser to turn around an flip me off only because he was dancing around and i told him to look at the scoreboard....any way....he was class-less.

only a few small negative things though....the padding needs to be adjusted, and what was the deal with fans having to return the footballs to the field if they caught them? that was the first time i ever saw that......

but i think bobby jackson will get things better with the team, but still needs to rid pewonski and the nifl for the team to survive.

TheHulk
Site Admin

Post by TheHulk » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:51 pm

[quote=""finatic""]the stingers played an awesome game....#99 of the grrencove jacksonville lion pelicans was ghetto trash in every way....what a loser to turn around an flip me off only because he was dancing around and i told him to look at the scoreboard....any way....he was class-less.

only a few small negative things though....the padding needs to be adjusted, and what was the deal with fans having to return the footballs to the field if they caught them? that was the first time i ever saw that......

but i think bobby jackson will get things better with the team, but still needs to rid pewonski and the nifl for the team to survive.[/quote]

Well, when the league first started 6 years ago you could keep the ball if it went into the stands. I guess the cost of footballs is now another obstacle for the league and it's teams.

ncxcstud
Site Admin

Post by ncxcstud » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:19 am

I'd give a ball back if it meant the team got to save another 20-50 bucks. I'm all for saving a bit of money w/out really taking anything truly 'away' from the fan.

I know for college games, my alma-mater would pay over 100 dollars for a football. They aren't as cheap as baseballs.

Red Zone
Site Admin

Post by Red Zone » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 pm

[quote=""finatic""]
but i think bobby jackson will get things better with the team, but still needs to rid pewonski and the nifl for the team to survive.[/quote]

Hard for a GM to get rid of the boss.

Return to “NIFL”