NIFL vs. Teams OF the NIFL

The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) forum
billm75
Site Admin

NIFL vs. Teams OF the NIFL

Post by billm75 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 pm

This is something that bothers me. Maybe it's just ME, and I'm on the wrong tangent here.

But here goes:

The NIFL apparently and obviously sucks. There's no two-ways about it, the league is a cess pool. Got it. Everyone here understands that the LEAGUE is a comatose monkey's armpit.

HOWEVER, it seems to ME that alot of folks on the board here blur the line between the league and the teams in the league. I don't mean the ownership...god knows the ownership is iffy at the best.

The team, by my definition, is everyone from the Head Coach down to the practice squad towel boy. The people that put the show on the field. (when there's turf).

I support the Columbia Stingers. I don't support their league, I don't support their old ownership, and I'm having doubts about their new "ownership" right now.

That being said, I still support the team and the sport. So when I post something about the team, it's about the TEAM. I want the team to succeed and I want the sport to succeed in Columbia. And I think this is what alot of fans on this board (newbies like me) are doing.

I felt there needed to be some clarification here because everytime someone posts about their TEAM (ATL notwithstanding) they're supporting their team and this sport. I'm certain many of them do not CARE what league the team is in, nor who owns the team. They just want to enjoy the TEAM and the SPORT.

So when veterans of this board jump on every post about every expansion team, talking about how this sucks and that bites, and this one's a crook and that one's a liar, oh, don't forget so-and-so who stole someone's first-born in order to gain a lease on a horse barn............ugh!!!! Let newbies try to enjoy the sport and support the team.

I consider the NIFL to be a "starter" league...and not the best of starters to choose from. Apparently it's the easiest to join, therefore, so many join it. But let people enjoy what they have and try not to jump down their throats with your hatred of the NIFL and it's cohorts everytime someone posts an innocent question or remark. Give them a chance to enjoy SOMETHING.......

Ok...getting off my soapbox....crawling back under my rock.....
Bill

http://www.stingersnest.com
http://www.iiflfootball.com - Management-based Internet Indoor Fantasy Football Free to join!

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:33 am

I think i did make a simular comment in another thread...... Enjoy your team and try not to get involved, because when you do, and you see what goes on behind the curtain, and i am not even talking about the league.. but team by team basis..... you may lose that enjoyment..... NOW.... Let me also say that i am involved with a team in another league and actually cover another one besides that... AND IT is the most enjoyable experience! By Far! I had almost lost my indoor/arena football mojo until finding out that a team almost 2 hours away thinks so highly of you to invite you to outings that the team participates in, and wants you involved with gameday on field participation..... and the other league opens the info door to let me write an article about their league... while the team you supported for their existance in your town choice to stay in the NIFL and knew all these problems were there and werent going away.. and then doesnt treat you with the same want that Others do...... Well..... It was a No brainer that even if the scheduled game in my NIFL town takes place that I will be driving to houston for a game 2 hours away!

I dont want you to not come in and read posts here about the league,but this is an open forum for truths to come out and get discussed. My advice, dont read if you think you are going to see something that taints your opinion of the league your team has chosen to play in. A large number of us have been involved with the TEAM, not the League because CS runs the league from her kitchen and i dont think any of us have been invited to dinner....

billm75
Site Admin

Post by billm75 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:22 pm

I agree with what you're saying. My point behind this post was because everytime a newbie here stops by to learn something about their team or to say something positive about their team, they get jumped on because of the league that team is in.

I know (now) that it's not personal, but for someone not accustomed to the nature of this board, it comes off as personal.

It's like: "Hey my team is supposed to start the season this week, any news?"

OSC typical reply: "They're going to fold, the NIFL Sucks, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Good luck with that"

That's a bit much and discourages others from hanging around here.

I guess I'm just trying to get people to lighten up on bashing the league every opportunity they get so as not to scare new folks away from the boards here.
Bill

http://www.iiflfootball.com - Management-based Internet Indoor Fantasy Football Free to join!

sportznut
Site Admin

Post by sportznut » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:39 pm

I see that... But the league gives us soo much oportunity and since we cant talk about it on the communist ran NIFL message board anymore...... this is where we have to go....

But let me put it to you like this.... Lets say you are a new fan, went to your first game and loved it, like we all did or we wouldnt be here discussing this league now. You want to find out more info because your local media doesnt put out much. So you find this message board with a section dedicated to the NIFL. Now you are thinking about A, sponsoring or B, buying season tickets for your family for the rest of the season. Wouldnt you rather find a place that you could actually see that making that kind of investment may come back and bite you in the butt? You arent going to get info you find here ( bashing or not) from the league or your team. They have to toe the line and let on that everything is fine.....

Listen... we bought season tickets to the drillers every year but this one. 2 seasons back we bought out season tickets and then the team switched venues. The tickets that were being sold at the new place were $4 cheaper a ticket, $28 cheaper for front rows. That may not sound like much but when you get 3-4, it adds up...Then, the team decides to half a free game..... then the next game was buy a ticket for $3 and get one free....... Last season the last 2 games of the season were free games...... Did we see any kind of reimbursement for 3 free games, 1- $3 game, and 7 games that everyone else were offered at a lower price? NO.... and then they give us the schedule this season which they have changed 4 times since the original one came out. As it stands now, a month into the season, the Drillers schedule 3 of their oponents this season have yet to play a game....... and 1 of them plays in a different league...and that is who is scheduled for this week..... I bet a replacement team comes in, is introduced as the team that doesnt exist, none of the casual fans would know any better, and when the game goes to the half with the score 60-0.... then the fans that did show up, and the first home game it was less then 400.... i bet half of them leave, because of boredom....

I would have wanted to have had that knowledge before i sunk money that i could have used in other ways in..... Thats my point

billm75
Site Admin

Post by billm75 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:27 pm

That's fair and I'll concede the point to a degree.

What I'm getting at is that when someone asks an innocent question about a team's schedule or an update because most local newspapers (at least here in Columbia) could care less there's a new team and new sport in town, so you come here hoping to get some info.

Example: "Has anyone heard anything about xxxx team? I can't find anything in the local papers"

OSC typical response: "The team's dead already, CG and CS just ripped your city off, yada yada"

Can't someone ask a question without getting all that negativity from the get go?
Bill

Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm

[quote=""billm75""]Example: "Has anyone heard anything about xxxx team? I can't find anything in the local papers"

OSC typical response: "The team's dead already, CG and CS just ripped your city off, yada yada"[/quote]

So, if "The team's dead already" is the truth, you wouldn't want folks to post that here because it is negative?

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:25 pm

I'll tell you what Bill. From now on, when someone new to the NIFL comes in and asks about one of the expansion teams, no matter how illegitimate it may be, we'll simply respond with the following:

"Everything's great! Go buy your season tickets now before they all run out!"

How's that? Would that make you happy? I mean, it would be a complete BS lie. But at least it would be encouraging, right?

xball44
Site Admin

Rose Colored Glasses

Post by xball44 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:37 pm

Hey BillM, grow up. I'm glad you could pull yourself away from The View long enough for your posts.

The reality is you are tring to support a Team run by very bad people. They have ruined other markets with their deceptive and terrible behavior. I'm sorry if that does not make you feel warm inside. How many even mildly successful teams in any league don't half turf for their team to play on? I'll help you, the answer is zero. Columbia will fail simply because of the people behind the Team. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.

By the way, there is no Easter Bunny.

Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:17 pm

BillM,

FWIW

I do understand and appreciate the distinction you are trying to draw between supporting the "team" as in players, and supporting bad management practices...

When Tony P. was running the Dayton Warbirds, it became clear to all of us that he was a snake, but that didn't stop us from rooting for the team on the field.

I supported my team to win, but that does not mean we condoned the practices of the owners. We hoped, in vain it turns out, that the owners would clean up their act and improve the situation.

This was Tony P's first season in the NIFL. Now that he has a track record, many are amazed that people still put their trust in him.

billm75
Site Admin

Post by billm75 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:46 pm

[quote=""xball44""]Hey BillM, grow up. I'm glad you could pull yourself away from The View long enough for your posts.

The reality is you are tring to support a Team run by very bad people. They have ruined other markets with their deceptive and terrible behavior. I'm sorry if that does not make you feel warm inside. How many even mildly successful teams in any league don't half turf for their team to play on? I'll help you, the answer is zero. Columbia will fail simply because of the people behind the Team. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.

By the way, there is no Easter Bunny.[/quote]

And you're telling ME to grow up?

Apparently you guys aren't getting what I'm trying to say. I feel that's as much by choice as it is by chance.

All I'm saying is don't shoot down someone's enthusiasm for the team simply because you personally hate the league. Is that asking too much?

Jeez. And I'm touchy?

One tells me to grow up, and that there's no Easter Bunny, another one tells me they'll patronize me because they disagree and misunderstand what I'm getting at. Yeah, I'm the immature one on the boards.

Guys, forget it. You're going to post what you're going to post regardless. You win. I'm taking my ball and going home.
Bill

Return to “NIFL”