Marshals Weigh In!

The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) forum
AllTheRage
Site Admin

Marshals Weigh In!

Post by AllTheRage » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:35 am

With AF2 announcing Cincinnati as a 2007 expansion team, where does that leave the Marshals? I can't think it is a good thing for the Marshals or are they a part of the AF2 deal?

dkproductions
Site Admin

Post by dkproductions » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am

Yeah right, its over for the marshals, you can't compete with Af2 in the same city, just ask stupid,dumb,idiot Jim Terry!!!!!!!!!!!!

perusix
Site Admin

Post by perusix » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:57 am

The Marshals may want to relocate.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:34 am

They could even go back to Waco!
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

fwp
Site Admin

Post by fwp » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 am

Cincinnati rejected af2 before, who's to say it'll work out this time.

For all the problems that have happened in the NIFL, they've been caused by poor decisions by the league and owners that weren't prepared to run a team(the two go hand in hand) The game itself is more attractive to the fans.

I feel for the teams that've gone af2..........they're truly on the clock.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:31 am

[quote=""fwp""]The game itself is more attractive to the fans.[/quote]

Nope, the vast majority of fans simply do not care. There may possibly be a slight majority that prefer Arenaball simply due to its greater TV exposure, but most people are fans of whatever style they saw first or is playing in their market. I've seen absolutely no evidence that the public prefers one style over another.

fwp
Site Admin

Post by fwp » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:37 am

[quote=""preeths""]Nope, the vast majority of fans simply do not care. There may possibly be a slight majority that prefer Arenaball simply due to its greater TV exposure, but most people are fans of whatever style they saw first or is playing in their market. I've seen absolutely no evidence that the public prefers one style over another.[/quote]

I see plenty of it.

I've had trouble getting friends to go to indoor games in the past because they've seen AFL on TV, and they just don't find it that exciting.

Since Lincoln doesn't have a team, I've worked a group of friends into going to Iowa Blackhawks games, APFL. They love the game and we ended up running to Council Bluffs for all the home games.

They love football, real football. Arenaball is seen as something that has little defense and little offensive imagination. Almost every down is a pass.

That's the people I hang around with though. And we know what the Lightning did in Lincoln when af2 was introduced.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:14 am

You also know what happened when the Caps were introduced. What happened in Lincoln and Peoria was about league and product stability, not the innate attractiveness of either game. Watching on TV is a lot different than watching in person. If indoor football was the game on TV, and you took your friends to an Arena game, I'd expect them to enjoy the live game more. It's way more fun in person.

Fans didn't flock to arenas in Huntsville, Cincinnati or Lincoln (or how many other markets) when Arenaball moved out and indoor ball moved in. If anything, the real evidence of attendance numbers seems to point to greater acceptance of the Arena game. I'd argue that has more to do with better ownership and management, but there is no other evidence that one game is preferred over another.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:32 am

In Wichita, attendance was at its highest with af2 over other leagues. af2 requires more D-I and D-I-AA level players to be competitive. Most of the other leagues, you can be competitive with D-II, D-III and NAIA players

fwp
Site Admin

Post by fwp » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:51 am

There were many people turned off by the arena game here. They didn't consider it real football. Once there was a change to the Capitols and the NIFL, they didn't bother to make the effort to find out if there was a difference, they no longer cared. I know, I ran into that a number of times as I talked some into coming down or coming back.

It was the Capitols job to sell themselves, they didn't.

Different athletes between the leagues is mostly a myth. The biggest difference and cause for some athletes not to cross over has been because of the rules. Each and every league has teams that work sweetheart deals that they work for the players they want.

Return to “NIFL”