Fayetteville Guard Season Thread

The National Indoor Football League (NIFL) forum
outlaw1
Site Admin

It's actually a shame

Post by outlaw1 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:20 pm

I know geography plays an imortant role, but it's almost a crying shame that these two teams are not in different divisions. Outside of the Guard, our Osceola, the Aces, Billings, and maybe Lakeland(not played a proven team yet), there seems to be very little competition. We should just call this the NIFL Indoor Bowl and crown a winner. Any thoughts?

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:26 pm

You are right those teams looks good so far. I am not ready to sell anyother teams out just yet. We had a really bad start last year and still were able to turn things around and make the playoffs. There might be a couple of teams out there that can make a big turn around
GO FORCE and ICE

outlaw1
Site Admin

Guard vs. Osceola

Post by outlaw1 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:11 pm

Good point. Although it looks as though we are going to see holes in the schedules of many teams in the South. WPB is all but desimated. Wonder what will happen, or who will foot the bill for an empty arena on those nights? For their players and opponents sake, I hope they at least travel for the remainder of the year.

GTDREW
Site Admin

Post by GTDREW » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:24 pm

I agree Outlaw1, they (WPB) should travel and make those games that other teams have scheduled. Not only that, it will build their financial base up for next year. The chances of winning on the road in this league are about 75/25 with only one in four actually making it happen most of the time. They might not have a good record in the long run but at least they have kept their word to the other teams who need those home games to pull in fans and money for their team.

goguard88
Site Admin

Post by goguard88 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:23 am

Not as many points as I thought, but still, a close game as expected. What a finish. We beat Osceola 54-51 in a game that was close the whole way. With under two minutes left, Osceola was down 46-44, but was driving toward the end zone. However, we got a huge interception return for a touchdown that sent the whole place (and me, of course) going nuts, and sealed the deal. What an exciting home opener. I can't wait for May 13, when we get a shot at revenge against Cincinnati, the team that broke our hearts last July in the divisional round of the playoffs.

GTDREW
Site Admin

Post by GTDREW » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:16 pm

Thought I would start this thread again. Let's talk about what we can do to support the team on here. Figured the Guard vs. O's thread would be a dead issue. Anyhow, I have sent emails out to different people about upcoming games. It's just hard to get them to come from 2 hours away like I do. Need to see if the Business office is going to offer a military night and other specials like they did last year. By the way, the band was a good addition, wish they would let them play longer after a TD, but the announcer needs some work at home games. It's hard to start a DEFENSE chant when he's doing nothing most of the time.

Guardfan3
Site Admin

Post by Guardfan3 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:40 am

HEHEHE. Yeah, Drew, I agree about the announcer. My biggest problem was his not knowing the difference between a TD and a 2 pt conversion. I think he announced 2-3 TDs that were actually conversions after the TD.

I think they also need to work on the time out and promo games. The pitch a pig had been announced several times that it would be during the 3rd qtr, but it didn't happen until 2 minutes left in the game, completely throwing off the momentum of the game itself. I think that should have happened at halftime, or at the very least, during the break between 3rd and 4th qtrs. They still need to tweak a few other things as well, but overall I couldn't complain. We have football--and WE WON.

As far as promoting, I am going to be going to the office some time this week to discuss a couple of things. Hopefully something will work out.

goguard88
Site Admin

Post by goguard88 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:19 am

Add me to the list of people who aren't happy with the announcer. He seems too plain. Last year's guy was more exciting (i.e. FAYETTEVILLLLLLLLE GUARRRRRRRRRRRRD!!!), but this guy doesn't seem to get too excited.

Guardfan3
Site Admin

Post by Guardfan3 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:46 am

I actually like the new guy's voice better than the one last year. The announcer last year started to get on my nerves. I just think this guy needs to learn to pay attention a little more. Aside from the 2 pt conv vs TD, he also announced the wrong player a few times after the play. It bothers me when he announces one player on the reception but another one actually caught the ball. How Withy-Allen managed to catch the ball after he was the one that threw it.....WOW, I know the kid's good, but still, that's pretty impressive. ;)

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 am

you would kinda think that the same people would work for all the local teams. I guess everyone wants to do their own thing when it comes to the on field stuff.
GO FORCE and ICE

Return to “NIFL”