af2 "revolt?"

The arenafootball2 (af2) forum
Panthers14
Site Admin

Need More Information on Arena Football

Post by Panthers14 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:24 am

Once more, what information do you have about a revised two - tier AF1 and which teams will comprise it. Which teams are on the out and what are their respective status...could it be a growing IFL? Will El Dorado comprise a larger IFL Texas Division? South Georgia Wildcats are announcing that they will be part of this new AF1 instead of moving to the AIFA. "The More things change, the more they stay the same." WoW....Thank you for all information, lets hope our sport returns next season stronger than ever...and of course on ESPN.
Last edited by Panthers14 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:44 am

[quote=""IndoorExpert""]Looks like the two-tiered league will not be kicking off until 2011.[/quote]
That would be a definite uphill struggle to relaunch after two years dark (one I guess if you count af2). Especially if the IFL still has their sights on dominating the national landscape.

My guess is if 2011 is the target, you will see a lot current teams popping up in other leagues just to maintain visibility in their market. As many are aware, 90% of the fans dont even know what league their team plays in, so it's no big deal. And with the AFL and af2 kaput, I dont think it's a major undertaking to keep a team's identity intact.

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Going dark for another year (2 for AFL) (1 for af2) would cripple several organizations. It was originally said they would start the new league in 2010. Now it has been assured for 2011. Should be the wildest off-season of them all.

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 pm

[quote=""IndoorExpert""]Going dark for another year (2 for AFL) (1 for af2) would cripple several organizations. It was originally said they would start the new league in 2010. Now it has been assured for 2011. Should be the wildest off-season of them all.[/quote]

Could be the scoop of the day. Nice work.
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:57 pm

[quote=""Panthers14""]Once more, what information do you have about a revised two - tier AF1 and which teams will comprise it. Which teams are on the out and what are their respective status...could it be a growing IFL? Will El Dorado comprise a larger IFL Texas Division? South Georgia Wildcats are announcing that they will be part of this new AF1 instead of moving to the AIFA. "The More things change, the more they stay the same." WoW....Thank you for all information, lets hope our sport returns next season stronger than ever...and of course on ESPN.[/quote]

Who is El Dorado?

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:39 pm

And since when is Arkansas in Texas?
What are you doing here?

Panthers14
Site Admin

Post by Panthers14 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:38 pm

You got me, I meant the Rio Grande Valley Dorados. That is funny that I wrote "El Dorado." Is that not where the lost city of gold is. Obviously it is not in the AFL or AF2. As far as other teams joining a larger and improved IFL, I was refering to this Rio Grande team out of HIDALGO to play with the IFL Teams in Texas and surrounding states. So any and all information is welcome, and yes, let me know where El Dorado is too, I have a few bills to pay.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:16 am

[quote=""Panthers14""]You got me, I meant the Rio Grande Valley Dorados. That is funny that I wrote "El Dorado." Is that not where the lost city of gold is. Obviously it is not in the AFL or AF2. As far as other teams joining a larger and improved IFL, I was refering to this Rio Grande team out of HIDALGO to play with the IFL Teams in Texas and surrounding states. So any and all information is welcome, and yes, let me know where El Dorado is too, I have a few bills to pay.[/quote]

It's located about 30 miles northeast of Wichita on the Kansas Turnpike where US 77 and US 54 meet. And it's pronounced El Dor-AAA-do not El Dor-ah-do.

Panthers14
Site Admin

Shock on course for new league

Post by Panthers14 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:58 am

Shock on course for new league
Jim Meehan, The Spokesman-Review
9/16/09

Nothing is finalized, but there are growing indications that the Spokane Shock soon will be part of the top tier of a revamped arena football league. “I’m as excited as I’ve been in four years, which is saying a lot because we’ve had a lot of exciting times,” said Shock majority owner Brady Nelson, whose team won two arenafootball2 titles in four seasons. “I was asked every single year: Would you ever join the AFL? And I always said, ‘No, it wouldn’t make any sense.’ Under the new scenario, it does make sense and I think we’re going to have a chance to play in a little bigger pond and have the big boys come to town and see what it’s like to play in our building.”

Nelson said he can’t discuss specifics because details are still being worked out, but the new league could have 12-15 teams, including four former af2 franchises, several from the defunct AFL and a few expansion teams. Former af2 teams could include Spokane, Tulsa, Iowa and Milwaukee. Utah, Arizona, San Jose, Orlando, Tampa Bay and Chicago – all part of the AFL, which folded after the 2008 season – have been mentioned as candidates for the new league. “It’s possible we won’t know 100 percent of the teams, but if we get to a point where we have the necessary commitments we would probably make the announcement that it’s a go,” Jeff Lamberti, a principal owner for the Iowa Barnstormers, told the Des Moines
Register.

There’s also expected to be a lower-tier league that would include Boise and Tri-Cities, Spokane’s rivals in the af2 West Division. At this point, crossover games aren’t anticipated.

Players in the top-tier league likely would make $400 per game for the first season, up from the $200 (plus $50 for a win) per-game salary in af2. An official announcement isn’t expected for at least a week or two. The new league hopes to announce a schedule sometime in October.

Spokane is actively recruiting players, Nelson said. The new alignment could prompt more Shock players to return in 2010. Nelson also hopes to retain head coach Adam Shackleford, who led the Shock to a 19-1 record and ArenaCup championship last season. “It’s like the Wild West right now,” Nelson said. “Previously our players were under contract until Oct. 15. Now, anyone can talk to anyone. We’re recruiting and telling players we’re going to be playing arena football at the highest level in the country.”

Side Note from Panthers14: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers who are for sale claim to have a deadline of September 30th to commit to the new AF1. South Georgia is a go, but have to redo stadium lease. Several expansion teams are mentioned in the above article, could Lynn Swann's Pittsburgh Franchise be among them and who would be the others. Prior to the AFL folding, there had been mention for some time of Boston, Sacramento, and bringing up the Louisville Fire. Will a new phoenix emerge from the previous ashes in Kentucky? And what is the status of the following franchises: Grand Rapids Rampage (I thought they were a go in any league and just wanted to return to the field, what is their status), Cleveland Gladiators and Columbus Destroyers, New York Dragons (I thought the new ownership wanted to return to play, did they have second thoughts?), Dallas Desperados (what is Jerry Jones Status) and Kansas City (hmmmm), and last Philadelphia Soul (you can not tell me that Jon Bon Jovi does not have the money to relaunch this team, or have they had enough pain?) As always, I look forward to all responses and if it were not for this forum and OSC, I doubt we would ever get any further news since these stories would disappear into the abyss...lets hope the Arena and Indoor Games do not end up there for good.
Last edited by Panthers14 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

Panthers14
Site Admin

Post by Panthers14 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:27 am

Another thought, if Milwaukee moves up to AF1 first division, will the Iron rename themselves the Mustangs? If Pittsburgh comes in as an expansion franchise, what will be their name and colors? Last, correct me if I am wrong, but I could have sworn that I read that an expansion franchise would be awarded to Mississippi, which would make sense if it is true that Shreveport will be part of the new AF1...and why not...so I ask this question, "Where in Mississippi?" Maybe Tupelo, remember the Fire Ants? How about the Firedogs back in the old NIFL along with the Mobile Sea Gulls! O.k. old age and alzheimers is now catching up to me, but you do remember John Fourcade at QB?

Return to “af2”