af2 "revolt?"

The arenafootball2 (af2) forum
mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:15 am

Thanks for the props. Not sure about the Commish job though. It would be great to
have some of those old AFL franchises back in a newly formatted league. Mix in some
new faces and away we gooooo!!!

Panthers14
Site Admin

Barnstormers hope to land in top tier of redefined league

Post by Panthers14 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:36 am

Barnstormers hope to land in top tier of redefined league
BY DAN JOHNSON • dansjohn@dmreg.com • September 9, 2009

Whatever game the Iowa Barnstormers are playing in 2010, it won’t be arenafootball2. In name, the af2 appears dead, although in 2010 arena football will be played in a new league.

Franchises are considering a proposal for a two-division league, one for larger markets — made up of the most successful af2 franchises and larger markets from the dormant Arena Football League — and one for smaller markets.

The deadline for af2 teams to commit to the league in 2010 was Tuesday, and none did. That is because the parent AFL is in bankruptcy, and af2 owners feared being dragged into that situation. “All our teams were bound members of af2 up until (Tuesday), and we are no longer that,” said Jeff Lamberti, one of the Iowa Barnstormers’ principal owners. “We think there’s a good opportunity to put together a two-tiered concept.” Lamberti said the goal is to match 12 teams for each tier, with the Barnstormers eyeing the top tier. The concept could be decided in the next two to three weeks. “It’s possible we won’t know 100 percent of the teams,” Lamberti said, “but if we get to a point where we have the necessary commitments, we would probably make the announcement that it’s a go.”

Players would be paid around $400 per game in the top tier. That’s twice the amount af2 players received, but less than the $30,000 base for AFL. Lamberti said the Barnstormers’ 2009 budget topped $1 million, and that the Tier I proposal would add $300,000 to $500,000. "In return for losing some of our weaker markets, we are likely to pick up some pretty strong, big markets,” he said. Lamberti said selling more tickets, increasing sponsorship revenue, and negotiating a new lease at Wells Fargo Arena could help pay for increased costs of playing in the top tier. The Barnstormers’ three-year lease at Wells Fargo expires after the 2010 season. The team has been seeking an extension that includes new financial terms.

“All I want is the same deal the hockey team had,” Lamberti said of the now-dormant Iowa Chops. “If we could get the same deal they had, we’d be fine.” The Chops paid $4,200 per game in rent and received a share of concessions and suite sales. The Barnstormers use a sliding scale for rent, are paying $6,500 for games with 10,000 fans or more, and do not receive concession or suite money. Neither team received parking.

The Barnstormers finished 13-5 last season and ranked second in the af2 with an average attendance of 9,645. Lamberti said there could be a slight ticket increase if the Barnstormers go to tier 1, but not a large one. “We have to keep them reasonably priced,” he said. “We understand the economic times we’re in and we want it to be family-friendly.” Lamberti said the top tier teams also could play on national television. “The networks always liked the product,” Lamberti said. “We believe that whether it be Fox Sports, ESPN, Comcast or someone else, there’s plenty of interest.”

Panthers14
Site Admin

Post by Panthers14 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:38 am

My God, Humpty Dumpty fell off a wall...and all of the kings horses and all of the Kings Men could not put the AFL back together again...Please tell me our favorite sport and teams are not disappearing overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!! There seems to be a September 16th Announcement coming about a revamped league of former AFL and AF2 franchises known now as AF1. Two Divisions, one with the strongest AFL and Af2 Franchises and the second division with the smaller markets. It appears the South Georgia Wildcats have applied for membership in the AIFA. Will we see other former AF2 markets go to other leagues such as the IFL for a proposed midwest division? Any and all information welcome. What are you hearing? Which teams will comprise the new AF1? Thanks....
Last edited by Panthers14 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indoorfootballguy
Site Admin

Post by Indoorfootballguy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:15 am

5-8 AFL teams may come back

Milwaukee will either go to the AF1 or fold, supposedly, not sure

Mahoning Valley Thunder are moving to Canton, Ohio

Corpus Christi Sharks are moving to Macon, Georgia

Amarillo Dusters are moving to a Suburb in Dallas, Texas and will move to the AF1, not sure on the AF1 part

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:19 am

[quote=""gonzo13""]I doubt the AF2 teams would want to conform to the different rules of the CIFL.[/quote]
Not that different at all and the eight or so ex-AFLers who joined the Chicago team that kicked CIFL butt didnt seem to have much trouble conforming to 7on7.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:51 pm

It is a huge shift in rules, but the Slaughter were just better than everyone else.

I'd have loved to see them in the AIFA - Michna woulda had 120 TDs.
What are you doing here?

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:20 am

[quote=""exit322""]It is a huge shift in rules, but the Slaughter were just better than everyone else.

I'd have loved to see them in the AIFA - Michna woulda had 120 TDs.[/quote]
Would that be in one game or two?

And huge shift my big fat tookus. The Slaughter took to the air and adapted the 7on7 game to arena style. Rules, shmules... it's all still indoor football. Passing rules and, by the limitation of the field's puny size, rushing drools.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:27 am

The biggest shift isn't offensively - it's defensively, and the Slaughter weren't that great on defense.

That said, they didn't have to be.
What are you doing here?

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:09 am

[quote=""exit322""]The biggest shift isn't offensively - it's defensively, and the Slaughter weren't that great on defense.

That said, they didn't have to be.[/quote]
When a defense spends 3/4 of the game on the field because its offense scores at will, there are of course more opportunities for the opposition to skew its statistics. Not to mention the fellas on D just get plain ol' tired being out there so much. You are not going to sit there and tell me a D with Alfonzo, Robinson, K.Smith, Bowers and Schroeder are not at least on par with their offensive counterparts. Yes, the Chicago D was that great. 14-0 ain't because of Michna.

You can "say" there's a difference that rules make but there really is none. You still only got a little hockey rink's worth of field to try and maneuver in... which is why I like the more "opened up" aspect of the 7on7 concept - two less bodies to clutter the field.
Last edited by Bruiser on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

IndoorExpert
Site Admin

Post by IndoorExpert » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:55 am

Looks like the two-tiered league will not be kicking off until 2011.

Return to “af2”