How can the Af2 be a "going" concern next year?

The arenafootball2 (af2) forum
blanketman
Site Admin

How can the Af2 be a "going" concern next year?

Post by blanketman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:58 pm

If the afl continues to be sued by the likes of nbc for aproximmately 1.6 million,and they are the majority owner of the af2 company,how is it not probable that a judge will freeze and liquidate all assets that the afl owns.If Bankruptcy becomes an issue for the Afl,how can the Af2 protect itself. The excuse that it is a separate entity is irrelevant doesnt really apply when chapter 7 occurs.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:33 am

It'll all depend on what the AF2 can prove. Likely, it will be able to show the court that it is worth more as an operating entity and one paying whatever needs to be paid.

This isn't the indoor leagues - the AF2 actually shows professionalism from time to time. Likely the league will be able to show that they're capable of working around, if this is even true (and I'm highly skeptical of that in the first place). It's not the court's job to make a situation worse than it already is, and your (hopeful, but mistaken, as you think the failure of other leagues is good for your own) proposition would do just that.
Last edited by exit322 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
What are you doing here?

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:00 am

IMO, if they fell apart tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear for either of the leagues that are nationally distributed. I think regional is the way to go, and if the various leagues wish to give us a national champion and sanction a BIG GAME somewhere, more power to 'em.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:47 pm

They are two separate corporate entities and the common told story that the AFL owns the af2 is over stated. The AFL is the majority share hold by a whisker, I believe they own 51% of the af2.

The af2 and it's franchise owners are not liable for any of the AFL's debt.
Also, the af2 seems to be the best asset in the AFL's portfolio. If the AFL folds, files for bankruptcy protection, whether its chapter 7, 11, or 13
I would think the courts would take into consideration the other 49% share holders of the af2. Much would depend on the type of bankruptcy, whether it was a reorganizational one or total liquidation.

The creditors would have a better chance of recovering some of the debt if the courts forced the sale of some AFL shares instead of crushing it. The af2 can run fine without the AFL, basically all the AFL does for them is to continually suck fees from them for the use of the term "ARENA FOOTBALL" and the use of the nets, which is really owned by the Gridiron corp., not the AFL.

Financially the af2 is on par with the Indoor leagues and both fill their niches rather nicely. The AFL priced itself out of their niche with their $2 mil salary cap and forcing the teams to play in major arenas that were far too expensive. These arenas screwed the teams because they knew most markets didn't even have a second arena option that would fit the leagues forced requirements.

Yes, the AFL has some big decisions to make, but shutting down the af2 isn't one of them. It would be far wiser to sell it's shares, even at a loss. The af2 being the feeder league to the AFL I feel is also overstated, and will be more so if the AFL get's back on its feet.

Sure, the af2 plays under the same rules of the AFL and it's players dream of moving up to the AFL to get some real paychecks but........

It comes down to the players talent, Indoor players can move up to the AFL also, the same as af2 players. If the AFL comes back the financial structure will be drastically changed and the salary cap drastically reduced, yes they will still pay above the af2 and Indoor leagues but the huge salaries will be a thing of the past. There isn't a profitable niche for the AFL, especially in this economy. Most fans would rather pay for the cheaper leagues or go watch the major leagues. As discretionalry income continues to shrink the dollar value / entertainment ratio has changed.

It's all about perspective, the ones that come to these forums are huge fans, but there's not enough of us to impress corporate America. Even selling out all of their games isn't enough to cover the cost of doing business in the AFL, they need the National sponsorship/advertising and TV revenue (which was a pipe dream) to make it work. If the AFL doesn't come back some of that sponsorship/advertising just might filter down the the af2 and Indoor leagues.
They can reach a similar sports niche for a lot cheaper.

Technically the AFL folding might even be a good thing for the af2 and Indoor leagues. Their diehards will still hope for some type of team to be in their area and appreciated paying less to enjoy it.

Note to the Big Guy;
I'm not a lawyer and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn express lastnight, so consider all of this just opinion and speculation to further the discussion ;)

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:35 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]
Note to the Big Guy;
I'm not a lawyer and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn express lastnight, so consider all of this just opinion and speculation to further the discussion ;) [/quote]
I'm not a lawyer either, but I do indeed frequent the big & tall stores, and pretty much agree with everything you just typed and would even bet you borrowed quite heavily from my long time views on the matter. So why the necessity to continue to poke? You want to play and then decide to take your ball and cry all the way home when the game gets too heated. I mean you can't even handle "momma" jokes, so what's the point?

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:57 pm

haha, yes we've held the basic same ideas as to the future of the AFL, just with differing reasons.

Do you think there's a difference in poking someone in the ribs at the backyard Bar-B-Q vs tracking someone down to gouge their eyes out with a spoon?

There's also difference between bad taste "Momma Jokes" and making fun of the recent death of someones Mother, at least in my mind.

If you don't understand the point, that in itself is telling.
Handling it and agreeing with it is also two different things. We all knew piglet is just plain mean spirited, I never thought you were until recently.

Live and learn, it's all good.

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:53 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]There's also difference between bad taste "Momma Jokes" and making fun of the recent death of someones Mother, at least in my mind.
[/quote]
Oh please enough of the drama already. You knew very well the joke was in reference to one of Malepig's faux pas. ie. the time he was fishing for sympathy claiming his parents were dead, only to have us all find out they're really alive and doing well. Your momma dying wasn't public knowledge until you made it so - after the fact. Has absolutely no relevance unless you want to publicly admit that I am indeed The Omniscient One and therefore better than you. :roll:

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:20 pm

[quote=""Bruiser""]Your momma dying wasn't public knowledge until you made it so - after the fact. Has absolutely no relevance...[/quote]
Once again foolish babble.

You made an attempt at a joke, before the fact about me living in my mom's basement. There was no problem with that at all. I replied "my mother is no longer with us, God rest her soul. "

Then some thought it appropriate to continuing joking about it and said it wasn't true. I gave proof, yet some continued to joke about it.

It may only be my personal opinion, but I don't find it appropriate to joke about the death of someones family member, mother or otherwise. You still seem to think there was nothing wrong with it. Perplexing that you consider the topic drama.

We've got too far off topic, let's get back to the original purpose of the thread.

Starship Trooper
Site Admin

Post by Starship Trooper » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:32 pm

Boys!

Take your bickering elsewhere.

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:30 pm

[quote=""Caballo Diablo""]Once again foolish babble.

You made an attempt at a joke, before the fact about me living in my mom's basement. There was no problem with that at all. I replied "my mother is no longer with us, God rest her soul. "

Then some thought it appropriate to continuing joking about it and said it wasn't true. I gave proof, yet some continued to joke about it.

It may only be my personal opinion, but I don't find it appropriate to joke about the death of someones family member, mother or otherwise. You still seem to think there was nothing wrong with it. Perplexing that you consider the topic drama.

We've got too far off topic, let's get back to the original purpose of the thread.[/quote]
And give you the petty satisfaction of having the last word on the matter? Like on another board where your childish antics got the thread locked? No way. And yes, it was a joke, hardy har har. You're not laughing because it's at your expense instead of another's. That's the crux of the matter, you can dish it but can't take it.

Tag you're it.

Return to “af2”