Baltimore Arena League

The Arena Football League (AFL) forum
PolyDad
Site Admin

Baltimore Arena League

Post by PolyDad » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:02 am

So with Ted L doubling down and adding ANOTHER expansion team to get the league to 5, I am guessing there is another big time owner (NBA or NHL) who owns a building that is going to make it 6. (Hello St. Louis??)

Then the fun starts of telling Jacksonville and Arizona players that they are STILL under contract to the AFL and will be assigned to an expansion team where they can still play ball making $900 a week instead of the IFL's $200 a week. Another re-assignment draft etc.

Allegedly the league still has other groups (that own their building) that were coming on for 2018 so if they can just bridge this year they probably are set for the next 10 years with their 'brand'.

I just can't believe what morons the Arena league staff are though. They had info about Spokane on the site all last year and they still have all the Arizona information up on the league website about their open tryout etc.

Even the old rich guy from Orlando had the knowledge to stop promoting the product that was no longer his, when he re-directed the Orlando Predator team website to the Florida State sexual offenders database.

Renandpat
Site Admin

Post by Renandpat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:05 pm

[quote=""PolyDad""]So with Ted L doubling down and adding ANOTHER expansion team to get the league to 5, I am guessing there is another big time owner (NBA or NHL) who owns a building that is going to make it 6. (Hello St. Louis??)
[/quote]

When you are going to compete with the Cardinals on Saturday summer nights, you are going to lose and lost greatly. You are not going to sell enough Pepsi and Busch beer to make it profitable.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:11 am

Already seeing grousing about a delay of the "official" unveiling to January 25.

But I'm anything but surprised.

I don't doubt Ted Leonsis actually wants to start this thing (he's got a local TV contract). The problem: a 5-team league means every team has at least 3 bye weeks in a theoretical 12-game schedule. That's a wreck waiting to happen.

I think Baltimore 2017 was a semi-ploy to get St. Louis or someone else on board. It wouldn't surprise me if Baltimore is held until 2018.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:44 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Already seeing grousing about a delay of the "official" unveiling to January 25.

But I'm anything but surprised.

I don't doubt Ted Leonsis actually wants to start this thing (he's got a local TV contract). The problem: a 5-team league means every team has at least 3 bye weeks in a theoretical 12-game schedule. That's a wreck waiting to happen.

I think Baltimore 2017 was a semi-ploy to get St. Louis or someone else on board. It wouldn't surprise me if Baltimore is held until 2018.[/quote]

A 12 game schedule is 15 weeks of games - are they seriously going to have a 16 game, 20 week, 4 byes per team schedule? for Arena level FB ?
And then have 4 teams in playoffs

that's pushing it

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 am

[quote=""Pounder""]

I think Baltimore 2017 was a semi-ploy to get St. Louis or someone else on board. It wouldn't surprise me if Baltimore is held until 2018.[/quote]

They've since actually released a schedule. It's 14 games in 18 weeks. Four off weeks.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:12 am

[quote=""4th&long""]A 12 game schedule is 15 weeks of games - are they seriously going to have a 16 game, 20 week, 4 byes per team schedule? for Arena level FB ?
And then have 4 teams in playoffs

that's pushing it[/quote]

The actual schedule is out so 5 teams with Baltimore is a done deal

Its 14 weeks 4 byes starting in early April to early Aug - wow

http://www.arenafootball.com/sports/a-f ... 17aab.html

http://www.arenafootball.com/sports/a-f ... sched.html

I really don't know why they start so long after the Superbowl

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:44 am

[quote=""4th&long""]
I really don't know why they start so long after the Superbowl[/quote]

Hockey (NHL/AHL) and/or basketball conflicts in four of the five arenas.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:17 am

[quote=""robster2001""]Hockey (NHL/AHL) and/or basketball conflicts in four of the five arenas.[/quote]

Note: that would have taken 30 seconds for someone to find out, rather than wonder about. :)
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 am

Hockey (NHL/AHL) and/or basketball conflicts in four of the five arenas.

Is an April start that much better? Just seems like playing indoor FB playoffs in dead of summer (Aug) while in the midst of NFL preseason - a double whmmy- vs finishing earlier seems tougher.

Also March is still not a great outdoor month - ie more people inside watching tv. Granted its March maddness along with the NHL/NBA - but even a couple weeks early avoids Aug play. And while March has College BB, April has MLB.
Last edited by 4th&long on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PolyDad
Site Admin

Post by PolyDad » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:56 am

[QUOTE=4th&long;183936]The actual schedule is out so 5 teams with Baltimore is a done deal

Its 14 weeks 4 byes starting in early April to early Aug - wow

http://www.arenafootball.com/sports/a-f ... 17aab.html

http://www.arenafootball.com/sports/a-f ... sched.html

Sooooo... the last game is Aug. 5th,
1st playoff week 8/12

Just PuhLease don't tell me they are going to take off the next week to build hype for Philly to play Cleveland/Tampa for the championship.

Just play on the 19th and start the build up to add 2-3 more teams for 2018. I mean, c'mon there are more CHINESE teams in their league than in the AFL right now.

Return to “AFL”