20th Year 20 Player Selection & Misses

The Arena Football League (AFL) forum
JabberBox
Site Admin

20th Year 20 Player Selection & Misses

Post by JabberBox » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:38 pm

I'm sure many of you have already noticed the top 20 players, as selected by the AFL 20-year committee. This is going to start some talk that they missed a few. First of all, what was Kurt Warner doing on the list? He only played for the Iowa Barnstormers for three seasons. Yes he took Iowa to Arena Bowls in 1996 and 1997, but lost each time, first toTampa Bay in DesMoines and then at Phoenix against the Arizona Rattlers. Whereas Andy Kelly, who has all the passing records and enters his 13th season, was also in two losing ArenaBowl efforts at Orlando in 2000 and at Grand Rapids in 2001. Also, what about Orlando's Kenny McEntyre? Isn't he a 6-time all-league player, three-time Defensive Player of the Year and all-time interception leader. Well, cases could be made for all of them. And, what about Barry Wagner missing the all-time votes, one less than Eddie Brown. Wags sure deserved to be the top vote getter for his accomplishments. And then there was the case of ...... and you fill in the blanks. This could get interesting.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:07 pm

In defense of Kurt Warner-if you ask Joe Blow on the street to name one Arena League player past or present, his name is most likely going to come up. Kurt Warner gives the league recognition because of his NFL success. As a result it doesn't surprise me at all to see him on the 20th anniversary team.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

Leonard
Site Admin

No Reason For Warner

Post by Leonard » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:18 pm

There is no reason Kurt Warner should be a part of the 20th team. Just because his heroics turned into a wonderful NFL career where he landed more accolades, is no reason for him being named the top 20 players in the first 20 years. He played only three seasons in the AFL with the Iowa Barnstormers. Yes, he took them to two ArenaBowl championship games but finished second. Unlike Andy Kelly, Clint Dolezel and Pat O'Hara who have either set passing records or won ArenaBowl titles, Warner has done neither of those two categories. Kelly has all the passing records, Dolezel is not far behind and led Grand Raids to a championship and O'Hara took Orlando to two title games, winning one, and won another with Tampa Bay. Go figure! And how about Barry Wagner not getting the top voted player. That my friends was a tranvisty.

Return to “AFL”