Generic Endzone

The Arena Football League (AFL) forum
newiflfan
Site Admin

Generic Endzone

Post by newiflfan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:19 am

So, while my mind was wondering at work today, I started to ponder this...

In their last couple years of play, the Grand Rapids Rampage had uber generic endzone art. Rather than having a team name or a city name, their endzones said, "Arena Football." Has there ever been a story as to why?

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:56 pm

[quote=""newiflfan""]So, while my mind was wondering at work today, I started to ponder this...

In their last couple years of play, the Grand Rapids Rampage had uber generic endzone art. Rather than having a team name or a city name, their endzones said, "Arena Football." Has there ever been a story as to why?[/quote]

The turf was owned by the AFL and not by the Rampage. It was listed in the assets that got sold off in the auction.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:35 pm

[quote=""NatePreds05""]The turf was owned by the AFL and not by the Rampage. It was listed in the assets that got sold off in the auction.[/quote]

Ah, that would make sense. Do you know if that was common practice, or just something special to the old Rampage org?

Sykotyk
Site Admin

Post by Sykotyk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:48 pm

The AFL purchased "ArenaBowl" turf and started using it, I believe, with the AB XIV (Nashville @ Orlando). This was used only for the ArenaBowl and had generic black/red endzones that said "ARENA FOOTBALL". Rather than using the home team's field. When the AFL went to NBC, the AFL used the "ArenaBowl" turf for the ArenaBowl, but had the competing teams' endzones used in place of the generic endzones.

Sometime, the Rampage, who had still been using their original, HORRIBLE, turf, got the AFL to let them use it during the season. Even though the "ARENA FOOTBALL" endzones never would be used again, the Rampage either never got permission, or never wanted to pay, to repaint the endzone portions.

Coincidently, before the Rampage began using the turf, the AFL kept the turf in storage in Grand Rapids previously, as well.

Sykotyk
Sykotyk's Super Trip - 10,473 miles, 48 states, 16 days

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Dang Syk. where u been? I thought you up and died on us or something.

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks for the scoop, Sykotyk!

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:32 am

With the new TV contracts, do a solid green or blue endzone and fill it in with the ChromaKey (you could run ads in the endzone).

Sykotyk
Site Admin

Post by Sykotyk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:38 pm

[quote=""Bruiser""]Dang Syk. where u been? I thought you up and died on us or something.[/quote]

Just been busy. Really haven't cared much about what's been going on with all the leagues. It's the same crap year after year. After a while, it gets old.

Although, I'm thinking of making the trip up to Grand Rapids for a West Michigan Thunderhawks game either 5/15 or 5/22 for old times sake.

Ohio Valley, Steubenville, Pittsburgh, Canton, Marion, Johnston, and Grand Rapids have all closed up shop. I'm not about to support the Erie Storm. Columbus (CIFL) has announced they won't play (no big surprise there). So, it's hard to have an interest.

The Destroyers are done, so my only true 'team' is probably the Gladiators. Which is cool. Might catch a game in person. But, it's sucked all the enthusiasm out of me for this sport.

Sykotyk
Sykotyk's Super Trip - 10,473 miles, 48 states, 16 days

NatePreds05
Site Admin

Post by NatePreds05 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:56 pm

[quote=""Sykotyk""]Just been busy. Really haven't cared much about what's been going on with all the leagues. It's the same crap year after year. After a while, it gets old.

Although, I'm thinking of making the trip up to Grand Rapids for a West Michigan Thunderhawks game either 5/15 or 5/22 for old times sake.

Ohio Valley, Steubenville, Pittsburgh, Canton, Marion, Johnston, and Grand Rapids have all closed up shop. I'm not about to support the Erie Storm. Columbus (CIFL) has announced they won't play (no big surprise there). So, it's hard to have an interest.

The Destroyers are done, so my only true 'team' is probably the Gladiators. Which is cool. Might catch a game in person. But, it's sucked all the enthusiasm out of me for this sport.[/quote]

Sources are the Columbus team is moving back to Marion so you can catch a game there. Hopefully Pittsburgh and GR will be in the AFL in 2011.

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:26 pm

[quote=""Sykotyk""]After a while, it gets old.[/quote]
Hey! So do we. ;) Bwahahahahahaha.

Return to “AFL”