What A Super League --- Not!!

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:32 am

I believe the league will add at least one more team out west.

Tater
Site Admin

Post by Tater » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:58 am

That sounds like 3 too few for that western division.

My sources told me that the requirement for the western division even coming into existance was a minimum of 5-6 teams. Although the AIFA has done more than expected with the announcements of Wyoming and Prescott publicly (I expected them to be mum until the whole division was set), I see some smoke on the horizon with only 2 announced and a possible third just now coming together. Five months till the season starts with a $600-800K budget staring these teams in the face doesn't sound too good.
\"If you want something done right...just forget it.\" - Neil Peart

mel3476
Site Admin

Post by mel3476 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:58 am

[quote=""preeths""]I believe the league will add at least one more team out west.[/quote]

I would think they would have to add at least that, but perhaps no less than two more. Four teams would be needed at a minimum, but still, there is likely to be significant travel required for any of those teams. At this point, I will sit and wait to see what happens. However, like I have said before, the longer things go, the less the chances for success...

mel3476
Site Admin

Post by mel3476 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:05 am

[quote=""Tater""]That sounds like 3 too few for that western division.

My sources told me that the requirement for the western division even coming into existance was a minimum of 5-6 teams. Although the AIFA has done more than expected with the announcements of Wyoming and Prescott publicly (I expected them to be mum until the whole division was set), I see some smoke on the horizon with only 2 announced and a possible third just now coming together. Five months till the season starts with a $600-800K budget staring these teams in the face doesn't sound too good.[/quote]

I don't disagree with anything you say, but I don't think any team in the history of this league has had an annual budget over $500,000 to this point. Certainly anything requiring a budget over that amount would require extremely deep pockets to get off the ground.

However, that also being said, until the league announces anything, anytime someone says something like 'my sources say...' I really won't believe. At this point, I will just take a wait-and-see approach...

FootballFan9
Site Admin

Some Budgets Are Over 500K

Post by FootballFan9 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Here the Phantoms tried to keep a low budget. Would estimate at about $425K. You are right you have to have deep pockets to do Arena Football.

robertboyd
Site Admin

Post by robertboyd » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:09 am

[quote=""preeths""]I believe the league will add at least one more team out west.[/quote]

There is expected to be four teams in the West for 2008 season
Last edited by robertboyd on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertboyd
Site Admin

Post by robertboyd » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:26 am

[quote=""mel3476""]That is what I am trying to figure out too. I don't understand why the process of announcing teams was not done months ago, after the end of last season, instead of waiting until this season is about to start. That would have given the teams the time they needed to get moving and have operations running by now, with the good chances of being successful. But now with the teams (that are perhaps) coming soon, they will be at a significant disadvantage in trying to get going before the start of the season.[/quote]
How much notice do you feel people need to know who their local team is playing? Some people have very short memories of the past, when no one knew 30 days out who these teams will play, I think six month lead way is a huge improvement.

Just because the public is unaware of where the teams will exist, this doesn’t mean that team owners already in the league are unaware of what’s going on, and it doesn’t mean that teams are not already being created. It takes at least 30 days to get the legal paperwork done just to "form" a team, so I'm not at all worried about not knowing six months ahead of time. I think announcing teams prematurely, before all the I's and T's are done, would be irresponsible.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:30 am

The time consuming parts include selling tickets and sponsorships and gaining widespread community awareness without breaking the bank. That's where any team that hasn't announced has already failed. The longer the lead time, the better chance you give your team.

robertboyd
Site Admin

Post by robertboyd » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:08 am

[quote=""preeths""]The time consuming parts include selling tickets and sponsorships and gaining widespread community awareness without breaking the bank. That's where any team that hasn't announced has already failed. The longer the lead time, the better chance you give your team.[/quote]
Obviously the earlier a team can announce the better off they can/will be, but does that mean that if I was to announce a team was going to play in 2011, that I['d be all fine and dandy? Of course not, people will only buy tickets so far in advance.. Six months (which is where we are at) is a long time in this business.

GoCavs1
Site Admin

Post by GoCavs1 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Exactly plus look at the way the NIFL worked out with its expansion plans last year. That is another thing that has people wondering because obviously that was a big disaster. And that said alot of people from Wyoming are concerned it's gonna be another year of turmoil. As they should be. Also that has afected more than just the fans. The team is getting another overhaul I hear and why shouldn't it. People want to play competetive they only have so many years in them. The western division so far isn't much at all. Plus this is the exact position the Cav's were in this time last year. Not knowing who they were playing or when or if there are any teams at all. And look how that flourished......NOT!

Return to “AIF”