another week, another cancelled game!

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
JeffCapo
Site Admin

another week, another cancelled game!

Post by JeffCapo » Fri May 23, 2014 8:53 pm

From the Baltimore Mariners Facebook page:

"Attention Mariner Nation: Tomorrow night's game has officially been canceled. We're currently working with the league on a number of scheduling changes. Please stay posted for more details as we continue our quest to bring a championship back to Baltimore. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your support."

And they wonder why fans stay away in droves!
Jeffrey T. Capo

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:10 am

It was against Cleveland who has already cancelled two home games this season. The first, with a "too many events using the venue that night" excuse that caused security/logistic issues. The Mariners are the first road game they missed.

The team has since been quiet, and the league quieter about these missed games.

The more things change - The more they stay the same.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

DCAbloob
Site Admin

Post by DCAbloob » Sat May 24, 2014 1:35 pm

No, this week's Mariners game was supposed to be against Atlanta. This may be an issue with the Mariners though, not necessarily or just an Atlanta issue.

A since deleted note in the Mariner Maniacs FB group from a team coach said that next week's game vs Cleveland was canceled too and that Baltimore would open the playoffs on the road against the York/Rochester winner. That despite the Mariners having already clinched a better standing than both York & Rochester.

There is a report in the Indoor Football Forum FB that the Mariners lost rights to play in the Baltimore Arena due to non-payment though that report hasn't been independently confirmed.

JeffCapo
Site Admin

Post by JeffCapo » Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 pm

"Official Release by the AIF and the Baltimore Mariners"
This Saturday's game between the AIF’s Baltimore Mariners vs. the Atlanta Sharks at the Baltimore Arena has been cancelled by the arena due to a dispute that arose between the arena and the Mariners. While both sides worked hard to try to resolve the issue time was not on its side and a decision had to be made that was in the best interest for Mariner ticket holders and the visiting team Atlanta Sharks travel plans.
While the AIF was not a party in the dispute between the arena and Mariners they were in communication with both parties offering input and support throughout the process. With the cancellation of tonight’s game the Atlanta Sharks will be given a win and the Mariners a loss.
Baltimore had already secured the number two seed in the 2014 AIF playoffs and tonight’s game had no bearing on the playoff seeding. After careful discussions the AIF had with ownership of the Mariners and other interested parties, and with the fact that the leagues only game next week Cleveland at Baltimore had no bearing on the league regular season outcome the AIF and the Baltimore Mariners have decided to end the regular season early by a week and cancel the Baltimore vs. Cleveland game and go directly into the playoffs.
The AIF will release a complete 2014 AIF Playoff schedule and seeding format by the beginning of the week.
Fans who bought their tickets from Ticketmaster, the arena box office or the Mariners directly should go to the proper outlet to receive a refund.
Jeffrey T. Capo

DCAbloob
Site Admin

Post by DCAbloob » Sat May 24, 2014 8:49 pm

[quote=""JeffCapo""]"Official Release by the AIF and the Baltimore Mariners"
This Saturday's game between the AIF’s Baltimore Mariners vs. the Atlanta Sharks at the Baltimore Arena has been cancelled by the arena due to a dispute that arose between the arena and the Mariners.
[/quote]

Credit to Mariners fans on Facebook for seeing through this nonsense. Catch their responses before the inevitable mass deletion.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4486628131

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Actually, I forgot that Cleveland had one of it's too many, bye weekends again this week. I am equally glad that I didn't forget about the mess the AIF is, and balked at the opportunity to buy Patriots season tickets this past winter.

What a mess.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Mon May 26, 2014 1:54 am

A dispute between the team and the arena. We ain't givin you no monies, well we need the monies. We can't get passed this dispute.

NTE
Site Admin

Post by NTE » Tue May 27, 2014 12:59 pm

This is why I say never buy tickets in advance for a product like this. Even when the games are played, the arena is always more than half empty so just buy tickets at the gate on game day. Good luck to those season ticket holders trying to get refunds on the last 2 games that they lost!

Funny thing is, I read on the Facebook page some of those same people are planning road trips to the playoff game next week! I can't believe they are still into this. I love indoor football, but Baltimore needs to join a somewhat real league, like whatever Harrisburg joined ths year.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Tue May 27, 2014 3:30 pm

I beilieve the Balto area should go AFL. They are too large for a minor league team. Balto is a major league city and needs to be in the best.
The problem is a sugar daddy is needed to put the bucks out, anything less and it doesn't work.
That said however, a minor league team could exist with the proper $$$
backing. Because of the sour taste currently amoung the Marineer fans another minor team would be tough.
A new start is needed in a stable league. After a $3 to 5 million loss the 1st couple yrs I can see Baltimore drawing an average 10 to 12 thou a game in the AFL.
That is where Baltomore belongs.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Tue May 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Market size-wise, I agree with you, Baltimore should be in the AFL. But a lot more than just market size drives what league a team is actually in. Equally important to most owners is the cost point of the league, the financial model that a league has will often dictate who is in or can join a particular league. The cost models for the AFL, PIFL, and the AIF are all substantially different from one another. Owners will gravitate toward leagues that they feel comformtable in being associated with. Some owners are not well enough financed that they can only afford certain leagues and those lower cost structure leagues have higher risks associated with them in terms of game cancellations and teams folding. The trick is to get your team in the most stable league your team can afford to be in, minimize the headaches if you can, it will make your fans happier in the long run. All that said, the league also has to do its due diligence in terms of what owners/teams that let into the league. Harrisburg made a decision last season that they needed a change, they wanted to step up a rung on the ladder to the PIFL. Both the league and the team saw value in this situation so it seemed to be a no-brainer for both sides. It is much harder to come up with these win-win situations than it looks. The PIFL has been lucky so far, Lehigh Valley one season and Harrisburg the next, two great additions.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Tue May 27, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “AIF”