San Jose Wolves

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
jerry101jlh
Site Admin

San Jose Wolves

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Interesting that I read the San Jose Sabercats are set to return to the new AFL next season and have no ties to the Wolves who at the beginning of the year said they were going to the AFL.

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:47 am

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]Interesting that I read the San Jose Sabercats are set to return to the new AFL next season and have no ties to the Wolves who at the beginning of the year said they were going to the AFL.[/quote]

I would say the Wolves are done.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:47 pm

With the AIFA west always being a swinging door I'd say the Wolves should look at the IFL, more stability

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:29 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]With the AIFA west always being a swinging door I'd say the Wolves should look at the IFL, more stability[/quote]

I am pretty sure this fool wouldn't be crazy enough to try year two.

mel3476
Site Admin

Post by mel3476 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:36 pm

I have no idea what San Jose will do now. However, I do have a feeling that somehow, the West will still be around next year...

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:42 pm

If the Wolves attendance numbers are accurate and the Cow Palace lease such that it isn't draining the team they could make this work, although I believe SF as a rule too large of a market for minor league sports.

But if the IFL brings in Fresno and maybe Stockton again reason things might work. In the AIFA they will always be on an island in a division that is far from stable. As a part of the IFL they would have the stability of teams like Tri Cities, Kent, and Billings. In the AIFA only Wyoming and maybe Yakima. I have no clue on the stability of Wenatchee.

Over all I do not see any team at this level making it long term in the greater bay area. Just too much competition for the entertainment dollar. The Wolves would be smart to relocate to a smaller market, but smart is one thing I question about them since they said at the start they were going AFL and obviously that was never going to happen.

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:15 am

I think the visual evidence does not support the Wolves' early attendance claims. The Wolves' owner needs to throw himself at the feet of the Sabercats and offer them his coach and roster for a 10% interest in the revived team.

Why? Because the AFL has a problem - its AF2 transfers have played too well in tiny markets, while its remakes of old AFL teams have struggled in large markets. The Sabercats need to dominate right out of the gate in 2011 and get the old fans back. The Wolves' coach seems to know what he's doing, even if the team is slumping under the demoralizing circumstances. It will put the Sabercats ahead to add AFL-quality starters onto a good unit. As opposed to, say, the Utah Valley Thunder's attempt to take nepotism to a higher level.

Maybe not a bad idea for the new Philadelphia Soul to do likewise with the Harrisburg Express, who seem to draw crowds of hundreds at the State Fair Farm Show Arena but win anyway.

Texasrangers13
Site Admin

Post by Texasrangers13 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 am

SaberCats have absolutely no need for a coach, Arbet is a part-owner, and it is well known among the AFL "circle" that he has been attending games this season, scouting talent. San Jose will be fine. Arbet for that matter has been under the Fry's payroll even during the bankruptcy.

Rooster
Site Admin

Post by Rooster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:36 pm

[quote=""Texasrangers13""]SaberCats have absolutely no need for a coach, Arbet is a part-owner, and it is well known among the AFL "circle" that he has been attending games this season, scouting talent. San Jose will be fine. Arbet for that matter has been under the Fry's payroll even during the bankruptcy.[/quote]

Just to add to that, Arbet and defensive coordinator Jeff Jarnigan have both been on payroll since the Arenabowl loss to the Philadelphia Soul. Sabercats have their own practice facility (a converted tennis center) with weight room, without question the best owner in the league with a private jet with the team logo on the side of it with swivel chairs and tv/dvd consoles built into the seat in front of them - I'm mean this guy owns Fry electronics.

Sabercats are the Spurs of their league - they get no respect! Consistent PAID attendance of 10,000 seats plus playing in four championship games, winning three, over a six year time span. Safe to say, they will have no problems recruiting players.
Will Work for Red Bull!

super390
Site Admin

Post by super390 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:05 pm

Well, it's nice to see someone at the AFL showed some foresight and commitment during the layoff.

Return to “AIF”