Mariners to be without a home for 3 years??

The American Indoor Football (AIF) forum
JeffCapo
Site Admin

Mariners to be without a home for 3 years??

Post by JeffCapo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Also, the Baltimore Mariners may be in trouble as well. The City of Baltimore is proposing to build a new Arena (much needed), unfortunately the city is looking to build on the site of the current 1stMariner Arena. This would make the site unusable for at least 3 years. This would also affect the Baltimore Blast indoor soccer team.

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/baltim ... 00^1670492
Jeffrey T. Capo

gonzo13
Site Admin

Post by gonzo13 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:07 pm

If the Mariners are going to be without a home arena, I'd bet that means Baltimore is going to be without a team.

I'm interested to see how M&M try to buy their way out of this one.
Just when I thought I was out....They pull me back in.

Tatonka
Site Admin

Post by Tatonka » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:17 pm

In this, you can't really find fault with M&M... unless someone with the city/arena management told them to expect it. Then you'd have to wonder why go through the time and energy of building a fan base in an area you will be forced to abandon.
People stress the violence. That's the smallest part of it. Football is brutal only from a distance. In the middle of it there's a calm, a tranquility. The players accept pain. There's a sense of order even at the end of a running play with bodies strewn everywhere. When the systems interlock, there's a satisfaction to the game that can't be duplicated. There's a harmony.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:03 pm

See, there's the secret, Sean. They didn't spend any time or energy building a fan base. They don't believe in doing things like that.
What are you doing here?

gonzo13
Site Admin

Post by gonzo13 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:33 am

[quote=""Tatonka""]In this, you can't really find fault with M&M... unless someone with the city/arena management told them to expect it. Then you'd have to wonder why go through the time and energy of building a fan base in an area you will be forced to abandon.[/quote]

Oh I don't fault them. I just want to watch how they handle it.
Just when I thought I was out....They pull me back in.

xmradiodave
Site Admin

Post by xmradiodave » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 am

First and foremost, the Baltimore Mariners are working diligently this off-season to build a more solid fan-base. The 2009 season has already started for the organization and good things are going to be happening. As for the arena, it is difficult to say what will happen. The Mariners will continue to move forward with the business plan as if they will be playing at 1st Mariner Arena for the foreseeable future.

The talk of a new arena has been kicked around for quite a while. Building the new arena on the current site would be detrimental to the surrounding economy. Businesses (hotels, restaurants, shops) would be heavily impacted for the three year period where a viable indoor facility would be out of commission. Major concerts, the Ringling Bros. circus, a successful indoor soccer team, just to name a few contribute heavily to the surrounding community.

Ultimately, the question being "What becomes of the Mariners?" is a tough one to answer. The organization is preparing for such an occasion. That is a topic that is always at the forefront of the daily business operations. The management at 1st Mariner Arena is still signing contracts and running in a "business as usual" formation. The Baltimore Mariners continue to keep an open dialogue with other facilities (limited as they are) in the surrounding area. As it stands right now, this is obviously a bridge the ownership of the Mariners will have to deal with when they come to it.

Return to “AIF”