Does Port Huron/Flint have insurance..

The Continental Indoor Football League (CIFL) forum
phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:55 pm

When a team purchases a workers comp policy, all they have to do is name the league and all of it's member teams as certificate holders. In most cases, the certificate holders will be notified by the insurance company if the policy has lapsed.

WorcShark
Site Admin

Post by WorcShark » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:20 pm

[quote=""Ducej11""]you have to remember also, that the insurance issue, is pure speculation made by someone that is not 100%. So for all we know, they have it in place and are ready to go[/quote]

Which is why I asked the question.

Thanks for the reply Tatonka. Though phydeaux72 and surgefan have a point.
Last edited by WorcShark on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surgefan
Site Admin

Post by Surgefan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:24 am

Phydeaux72's post raises an interesting question.

If that statement is correct, and on its face it appears to be a logical presumption, exactly how would that qualify as "not practical"?
Getting ready to say "good-bye" to the CIFL

Tatonka
Site Admin

Post by Tatonka » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:19 pm

I just said that if there's a problem, the league gets notified...

Also, workers comp policies are typically billed in 6 month increments, after the fact... so like in the case of a team in another league that I used to do some work for, you can see on their county's online court docket, that they've been sued several times for non-payment of that premium.

The misunderstandings come from when there's say, a relationship with a particular doctor working with/sponsoring the team. Say the team relocates, or hints at relocating, of for some other reason the doc feels he's not getting his end of the deal. He may have declined to work on a player since he will have to wait awhile to recover the insurance payout anyway, and the player thinks it's because the team no longer has insurance.

Sometimes, the players are some of the least informed people in the organization. Right or wrong, they can frequently be the last to know...

Coach Gade
Site Admin

Post by Coach Gade » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Tatonka I apologize. And maybe....no I know you guys are smarter when it comes to workmans comp issues than I, but I have 4 past players from last year that sustained serious injuries, (2 torn ACL's, 1 Miniscus, and 1 concussion) that the players are paying out of pocket. WHat seems to make the league $$ is players, but the players are not the priority of the league. Im not an attorney, but these guys got screwed. I think the league shoud do a "random" insurance check on 3 teams each week. It keeps the teams honest, and helps the leagues image to the players. No insurance, no play. The players safety and well being has to be #1. Our owners from what I understand purchased a policy, faxed a copy to the league, then cancelled it. A little bit of work oby the league would have solved that problem. Would I have been pissed at the league for cancelling a game due to lack of player insurance, hell no!!!!

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:32 pm

If you're going to do the insurance checks, you simply contact the insurance agency every week to make sure it's still valid.
What are you doing here?

Surgefan
Site Admin

Post by Surgefan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:43 pm

[quote=""Tatonka""]I just said that if there's a problem, the league gets notified...
[/quote]

[quote=""Tatonka""]in most cases, we're notified if there's a problem with a team's policy[/quote]

Which to me indicates it doesn't happen all the time, unless you misspoke that is.

Surgefan
Site Admin

Post by Surgefan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:44 pm

[quote=""exit322""]If you're going to do the insurance checks, you simply contact the insurance agency every week to make sure it's still valid.[/quote]

That hardly seems "not practical". :confused:

Bonzogonzo24
Site Admin

Post by Bonzogonzo24 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:42 am

[quote=""Coach Gade""] Our owners from what I understand purchased a policy, faxed a copy to the league, then cancelled it. [/quote]

Maybe I haven't been around minor-league indoor football long enough, but that is unbelievable if true. Hearing everything that happened to that team this year, I guess it's not that unbelievable.

This is something that should not be tolerated. First offense, your team is out and the organization should honor player contracts and pay them the rest of the season (but that's impossible since most are one week deals to cover the owner's ass). If any team plays without insurance they should be caught. And if there's that big of a problem in the CIFL with this, the league should check each team, each week. It's that important.

Tatonka
Site Admin

Post by Tatonka » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:29 am

[quote=""Coach Gade""]Tatonka I apologize. And maybe....no I know you guys are smarter when it comes to workmans comp issues than I, but I have 4 past players from last year that sustained serious injuries, (2 torn ACL's, 1 Miniscus, and 1 concussion) that the players are paying out of pocket. WHat seems to make the league $$ is players, but the players are not the priority of the league. Im not an attorney, but these guys got screwed. I think the league shoud do a "random" insurance check on 3 teams each week. It keeps the teams honest, and helps the leagues image to the players. No insurance, no play. The players safety and well being has to be #1. Our owners from what I understand purchased a policy, faxed a copy to the league, then cancelled it. A little bit of work oby the league would have solved that problem. Would I have been pissed at the league for cancelling a game due to lack of player insurance, hell no!!!![/quote]

Coach, here's one point I agree with you very much on... The players DO tend to get overlooked, and after what happened this year I hope the league is able to better implement some checks and balances into the system to keep these things from happening again, or to nip them in the bud as soon as they do.

Without the players, there are no games... if there are no games, then there is no league... we know that, and need to improve conditions for the players going forward.

BTW, my examples were just that, examples. I don't pretend to be an expert on the insurance issues either, just trying to bring my perspective.

Return to “CIFL”