Erie Explosion's future

The Continental Indoor Football League (CIFL) forum
BobBowen45014
Site Admin

Erie Explosion's future

Post by BobBowen45014 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Per the Erie Explosion's Facebook page, they have a Press Conference is Tomorrow at 3:00pm at the Avalon to announce next years plans.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi Bob,
I expect to be there at 3.
I've got a live outdoor FB game soon after and I don't know
if I can get near a pc before 10 tonight.
I let you know as soon as I can.
Hopefully, we can continue our battles with the Commandos.

BobBowen45014
Site Admin

Post by BobBowen45014 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:22 pm

[quote=""DFWCC""]Hi Bob,
Hopefully, we can continue our battles with the Commandos.[/quote]

I hope so too!

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm really surprised that Erie hasn't jumped to the CIFL by now. Can't wait to see what their final choice will be.

This should be interesting. It's definitely either the CIFL or PIFL. I'm gonna' bet my paycheck & say it's the CIFL.......lol.
Last edited by Trish_lvs_Baltimore on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

Alhammer
Site Admin

Post by Alhammer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Will not be PIFL.

BobBowen45014
Site Admin

Post by BobBowen45014 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:21 pm

From the CIFL Fans Page:

Matt Martin of the Erie Times-News posted on his twitter page (@ETNmmartin) that the Erie Explosion have in fact joined the CIFL about 12 minutes ago.

Looks like it's official.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Here's a pic from his Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/ETNmmartin/status/2 ... 80/photo/1

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:09 am

The CIFL is gonna' be a BEAST next year!!
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 am

Well you guys beat me to posting it.
I was at the 3PM press conf.
Then I had to get to a Gannon University opening night
tailgate party. My team won in a nail biter.
Just got home and you guys were right on top of things.
Last edited by DFWCC on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:54 am

Here's the full release from the Erie Times-News

Erie indoor football franchises have seemingly played in as many leagues as Baskin-Robbins has ice cream flavors.
On Thursday, the Erie Explosion officially joined the 10-team, Midwest-based Continental Indoor Football League, with the belief that the two will fit like scoops of chocolate and vanilla on a sugar cone.
The Explosion, under the sole ownership of businessman Bill Stafford in 2012, caught the attention of several leagues looking for a model small- to mid-market franchise. After losing the United Indoor Football League semifinal game to the Cincinnati Commandos in June, Stafford searched for a league to fit the model.
"After the past season, four different leagues approached us, knowing that they liked what we did and what (coach Shawn Liotta) was doing and results our players had,'' Stafford said at a news conference at the Avalon Hotel. "We spent 21/2 months listening to presentations and eliminating some things, and the Continental League is a very good fit.''
Jim O'Brien, CIFL president and co-owner of the 2012-champion Saginaw Sting franchise, said he watched the playoff game in Cincinnati and was impressed.
"This is the longest continuous-running league with the eighth season coming up, and Bill and the organization is doing things for all the right reasons,'' O'Brien said. "We're excited about what we see, and we've done background checks. Erie has good ownership, a talented team, and the same beliefs.''
The UIFL-champion Commandos, the Marion Blue Racers and the Eastern Kentucky Drillers also joined the CIFL. Other teams are in Louisville, Ky., Port Huron, Mich., Evansville, Ind., Dayton, Ohio and Chicago. A team in Fort Wayne, Ind., will join in 2013.
"This league has been around, and you look around at what makes sense is that you see stable, competitive franchises and are close enough geographically,'' said Liotta, who coached one season with the Erie RiverRats, one with the Erie Storm, and will be in his third season with the Explosion. This will be the fifth different league in which Liotta has guided an Erie team.
The Erie Insurance Arena, which closed last May as the $42 million renovation project began -- the Explosion beat Marion in a June outdoor playoff game at the Cathedral Prep Events Center's Dollinger Field -- will be partially finished when the season opens in February.
"This league is a business model that is something doable in a smaller market, with competition week in and week out,'' Stafford said. "We believe this will work out for years to come in a fantastic facility.''

BOB JARZOMSKI can be reached at 870-1678 or by e-mail. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/ETNjarzomski.
Last edited by DFWCC on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CIFL”