Site Admin

New Arena Proposal for Dayton

Post by Jamie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:47 pm

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/day ... 97627.html
West Carrollton wants to lure minor-league teams with proposed arena
Suburb hopes to be sports mecca

By Lawrence Budd, Staff Writer
Updated 10:04 AM Monday, December 12, 2011
WEST CARROLLTON — The $52 million events center in Allen, Texas, sounds a lot like what West Carrollton city officials envision as the anchor for the proposed Miami Bend entertainment district near Interstate 75, south of Dayton.
Opened in 2009 with a concert by country star Reba McIntire, the Allen Event Center near U.S. 75 north of Dallas is home to minor-league hockey and football teams and surrounded by stores, restaurants and hotels.
Now West Carrollton hopes to lure minor-league hockey, soccer and football teams, potentially joining communities from Gwinnett County, north of Atlanta, to Lincoln, Neb., as minor-league sports meccas.
“Happens all the time,” said David Broughton, research director for Sports Business Journal, in an email.
“Varying degrees of success.”

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Does the Dayton area really need another arena? Aren't Hara Arena and Nutter Center enough?

Can they come to Richmond and build us a real arena to replace our crumbling Coliseum? Please? :)

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:55 pm

[quote=""robster2001""]Does the Dayton area really need another arena? Aren't Hara Arena and Nutter Center enough?

Can they come to Richmond and build us a real arena to replace our crumbling Coliseum? Please? :) [/quote]

Hara Arena is about 50 years old. I have a lot of fond memories there, but if you don't know where it is, it's hard to get to.
I think Nutter as a minor league venue is about done. Wright State has been burned over too many times and will probably just use it for concerts and Wright State events only.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:14 am

Back in the 70's, here in Erie Pa, we built an arena in the suburbs at an I-90 exit. It was mainly home to the Erie Blades minor hockey team and held @3200and was in use until 1982. What happened was the Tulio Arena in downtown
seating @5600. In @1997 the city opened a new Baseball stadium adjoining the arena seating @6800 for the then and current Seawolves.The downtown arena has been way more successful than the suburban location. Downtown now hosts the Erie Bayhawks, the Explosion, the Seawolves and the Otters.
All teams being successful attendance wise. At times last yr there was an indoor FB game going on and a Baseball going on at the same time. With left field home runs hitting the arena; that's close!
With all the events, shows etc going on downtown it keeps the night scene
very active. Helping the tax base etc.
Within a few weeks ( contruction trailer offices being moved in today ) a
$42,000,000 upgrade is about to get underway adding @1000 seats.

Tommy T
Site Admin

New Arena

Post by Tommy T » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Hara will do for now and it does need some TLC. I think the Silverbacks will do well in that venue with proper marketing strategies. One area of the central Mid West that does not have an arena capable of seating aprx 3-6K people Is South Bend, Indiana. Let me give you a run down of the area:
150k in South Bend with another 250K with in 50 miles and 10 million with in 200 miles (Detroit, Chicago, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis). SB has easy access to the Indiana Toll Road and Hwy 31. South Bend has Michiana Regional Airport and an Amtrack station. This means easy travel between Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, Fort Wayne, Columbus, Dayton, Peoria, Evansville, Toledo, Port Huron, Saginaw, Flint, Battle Creek, Bloomington, JUST TO NAME A FEW. This cuts down on travel expenses which can be huge. There are many resteraunts, hotels and motels available because of Notre Dame, Holy Cross, Bethel and Indiana University. There are many News Media outlets as well for television and radio. Should an arena be built in South Bend, there is already a great minor legue team ready to make the jump. THE ICE BOX management has their superficial head in the wrong place and Notre Dame wants the perinial arm, leg, heart and 50% of ticket sales.

Fez
Site Admin

Dayton Arena

Post by Fez » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Dayton needs a new arena. Hara is so old and tired and poorly located. Sure I love it, but my less enthusiastic friends were not fired up to go there. Downtown at the Dragons game at 5th 3rd was much "cooler" and easy to get to. It would be great to see an arena on I-75 even though WC isn't the greatest location.

Nutter is very nice, but just doesn't work for indoor soccer, football, or other sports. It is fine for basketball, but I remember attending Dayton Wings games there and the place felt empty.

The Dynamo tried to play in the convention center (after Nutter didn't work) and it was okay but not a long-term solution. I'd love to see the Dayton Dutch Lions get a place to have indoor soccer and the Silverbacks and the Air-Strikers all play in the new arena.
Subscribe to Dayton Pro Sports Daily News: http://paper.li/f-1313642591

Return to “CIFL”