The CIFL and 2011

The Continental Indoor Football League (CIFL) forum
jerry101jlh
Site Admin

The CIFL and 2011

Post by jerry101jlh » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Seems like the more more this league tries to get ahead, the further they fall behind although unknown to most they made advancements this season in how they help their teams. Any advancements a moot point as most will only see that Marion folded mid season, Chicago a loser in the city with three indoor/arena teams, Miami Valley a road only team and likely Fort Wayne folding post season. That leaves but two bright spots heading into 2011, Cincinnati and Milwaukee.

In conversations with the CIFL I know they have plans for broad changes, but may be too late as this league is on life support and wouldn't take much for the plug to be pulled.

The main focus of the off season needs to be how to field new teams and hold on to them for more than a season or two. At this point that may not be possible as the AIFA, IFL and newly formed UIFL are taking up real estate that falls in CIFL land.

I would like to see the CIFL succeed, not just disappear as the founders of the league do work hard and have the best interest of the sport at heart, more so than any other leadership in the game. Unfortunately they may be too nice of guys to ever really get things on track, so the future of the CIFL does fall to leadership.

My opinion is the CIFL needs to revisit every aspect of the league, throw out what has proven to fail, including too low of franchise fees, but keep what has worked. This task is easier than it would be in any other of the leagues as team involvement in the decision making minimal, only two teams to deal with. Although easier maybe, still doesn't solve the problem of fielding new teams and that may be harder than anything else on their table.

If I were the CIFL I'd look at bringing in stronger leadership. I'd keep going in the same direction with the media as a good job being done there. I'd look at franchise fees and how raising them might actually help bring in stronger franchises. But in raising fees I'd look at ways to promote more value for the extra dollars. I have no real ideas on how any of this could be accomplished as maybe too late to really do anything.

Since I have few opinions on how to actually keep the CIFL alive and make it stronger I'm open to other fans opinions, so lets hear them.

jcompton
Site Admin

Post by jcompton » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Sadly, I don't expect the league to survive. With a reconstituted AFL, a growing IFL, trouble drawing in most markets and the obvious fact that Chicago cannot be a three-team town, it's not clear where they would expand or who would come to the games.

The fact that Wisconsin, normally a pretty fan-friendly team, didn't arrange a championship road trip for fans really surprises me, and makes me question whether anybody in this league expects it to survive past tonight. It would be nice to be wrong, as I like having a team in my town, but I just don't see it.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 am

[quote=""jcompton""]Sadly, I don't expect the league to survive. With a reconstituted AFL, a growing IFL, trouble drawing in most markets and the obvious fact that Chicago cannot be a three-team town, it's not clear where they would expand or who would come to the games.

The fact that Wisconsin, normally a pretty fan-friendly team, didn't arrange a championship road trip for fans really surprises me, and makes me question whether anybody in this league expects it to survive past tonight. It would be nice to be wrong, as I like having a team in my town, but I just don't see it.[/quote]

Chicago's failures have nothing to do with the potential fan base. Remember, these are the same jokers that ran the Milwaukee Bonecrushers farce of a franchise.
What are you doing here?

Indoorfootballguy
Site Admin

Post by Indoorfootballguy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:27 pm

[quote=""jerry101jlh""]Seems like the more more this league tries to get ahead, the further they fall behind although unknown to most they made advancements this season in how they help their teams. Any advancements a moot point as most will only see that Marion folded mid season, Chicago a loser in the city with three indoor/arena teams, Miami Valley a road only team and likely Fort Wayne folding post season. That leaves but two bright spots heading into 2011, Cincinnati and Milwaukee.

In conversations with the CIFL I know they have plans for broad changes, but may be too late as this league is on life support and wouldn't take much for the plug to be pulled.

The main focus of the off season needs to be how to field new teams and hold on to them for more than a season or two. At this point that may not be possible as the AIFA, IFL and newly formed UIFL are taking up real estate that falls in CIFL land.

I would like to see the CIFL succeed, not just disappear as the founders of the league do work hard and have the best interest of the sport at heart, more so than any other leadership in the game. Unfortunately they may be too nice of guys to ever really get things on track, so the future of the CIFL does fall to leadership.

My opinion is the CIFL needs to revisit every aspect of the league, throw out what has proven to fail, including too low of franchise fees, but keep what has worked. This task is easier than it would be in any other of the leagues as team involvement in the decision making minimal, only two teams to deal with. Although easier maybe, still doesn't solve the problem of fielding new teams and that may be harder than anything else on their table.

If I were the CIFL I'd look at bringing in stronger leadership. I'd keep going in the same direction with the media as a good job being done there. I'd look at franchise fees and how raising them might actually help bring in stronger franchises. But in raising fees I'd look at ways to promote more value for the extra dollars. I have no real ideas on how any of this could be accomplished as maybe too late to really do anything.

Since I have few opinions on how to actually keep the CIFL alive and make it stronger I'm open to other fans opinions, so lets hear them.[/quote]

Milwaukee is coming back to the CIFL?

Round Lake Illini
Site Admin

Post by Round Lake Illini » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm

[quote=""exit322""]Chicago's failures have nothing to do with the potential fan base. Remember, these are the same jokers that ran the Milwaukee Bonecrushers farce of a franchise.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. There was zero publicity for the Cardinals in the Chicagoland area - nobody know they existed. It also didn't help that they played in an armpit of a building (the Odeum) and tickets were $13.50 - $30.00, way too much. Then they release some of their better players before the season ends (Cichon, Wogoman, etc) and let them join the Wisconsin Wolfpack - not exactly showing a lot of will to win. It almost felt like they existed just so the league could have 6 teams.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:18 pm

[quote=""Round Lake Illini""] It almost felt like they existed just so the league could have 6 teams.[/quote]
There are similar feelings across all leagues. And yes, we can include the AIFA Utah team that has damaged the name Blaze.

jcompton
Site Admin

Post by jcompton » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:18 pm

[quote=""Indoorfootballguy""]Milwaukee is coming back to the CIFL?[/quote]

Presumably he meant Wisconsin (Madison).
Round Lake Illini wrote: It also didn't help that they played in an armpit of a building (the Odeum) and tickets were $13.50 - $30.00, way too much.
I got in for $10 at the door late in the season, but yes, I would have laughed openly at an attempt to charge more.

The fact that the Cardinals were lousy at promotion does nothing to convince me that Chicago can support three indoor teams running overlapping schedules. The Slaughter (seem to) do well by milking every piece of Super Bowl XX nostalgia they can. The Rush do quite a bit of that as well, having made sure in both incarnations that they can throw Ditka's name around with regular frequency.

I realize there were 53 men on the 1985-1986 Bears roster, but there has to be a limit. What, are you saying "If only the Cardinals named Steve Fuller GM, they would have been able to cash in"?

Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Unless the MV Silverbacks can find a home next year, it would probably be best for them to fold. I just don't see how an owner can afford to run a traveling team. Where is their income?

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:47 pm

From a Cincinnati Enquirer article (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2010 ... t-season):
Some things will change for the Commandos next season. The team contracted with local firm Rocket Science to develop a new logo and uniforms. It will also not be playing in the CIFL.
I have to believe that also means that MV is out since they share an owner. That means the CIFL is essentially down to just Wisconsin and Chicago.

exit322
Site Admin

Post by exit322 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:04 pm

[quote=""preeths""]From a Cincinnati Enquirer article (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2010 ... t-season):

I have to believe that also means that MV is out since they share an owner. That means the CIFL is essentially down to just Wisconsin and Chicago.[/quote]

No, the Commandos were sold at some point; they now have different ownership.
What are you doing here?

Return to “CIFL”