mrsnsports
Site Admin

Columbus goes belly up...

Post by mrsnsports » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:37 pm

What now for the CIFL?

Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:59 am

It sounds like Marion is going to come back to replace the team that replaced them...

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 am

[quote=""Jamie""]It sounds like Marion is going to come back to replace the team that replaced them...[/quote]

Word on the street is the Mayhem are going back from whence they came,
Marion. (under new owners) Original Marion owners, now in Columbus got in
too deep, too fast. They're being moth balled till next year. Rock River
should be back for 2011. If the economy improves, could be expansion
to as many as 12.

afdave
Site Admin

Post by afdave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Well, this news came out almost 2 weeks ago now, and no updates from the league or any teams, with 3 weeks until opening weekend.

Not that we didn't know this league was pretty close to a joke, but, things like this just confirm it.

jeffspitaleri
Site Admin

Post by jeffspitaleri » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm

The people that need to know all that is going on know what is going on. They won't open until April, everything is progressing.

Bruiser
Site Admin

Post by Bruiser » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm

[quote=""jeffspitaleri""]The people that need to know all that is going on know what is going on. [/quote]That's not really true unless the team is satisfied with only walkup crowds. Without any info being released a Marion fan would be a fool to purchase anything in advance until they actually saw the lights turned on and a visitor's bus parked outside on game day.

Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Personally, I think anyone that purchases season or advance tickets for ANY indoor football team is gambling...

afdave
Site Admin

Post by afdave » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:09 am

That is a bit strong Jamie....

Say what you want about the AFL & af2, and obviously the new "AFL 2.0" league is a hodge podge of previous AFL & af2 owners and staff, but.... those leagues have NEVER outright cancelled games or failed to finish out seasons for any team. Yes, teams may have left town after a season, or performed poorly, but, they always finished out a season and played the games as scheduled, which is much more than you can say about 75% of the other indoor leagues experiences out there. (especially the later NIFL years, AIFA, etc).

Until we have some evidence of an AFL related team totally bailing mid season, I'll stand up and say that I "trust" that every AFL team will play all their games in a season. About the only instance I can think of that might be close was that the last Memphis "home" game in their second season was played in Tupelo, MS, and I honestly don't recall if that was planned before the season or not. So, that might have been a mid season "switcheroo", but, other than that, I don't believe there have been any instances of things like in other leagues, of teams just flat dying mid season.

Maybe you were making a distinction between 'indoor' and 'arena' though, and not including AFL in your accusation. Honestly, the IFL, and the IFL's leagues that they merged from, have had fairly stable experiences as well, so, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. The rest of them (AIFA, CIFL, SIFL, etc), are all swimming in an "ABA 2000" like murky lake.

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:36 am

[quote=""afdave""]That is a bit strong Jamie....

Say what you want about the AFL & af2, and obviously the new "AFL 2.0" league is a hodge podge of previous AFL & af2 owners and staff, but.... those leagues have NEVER outright cancelled games or failed to finish out seasons for any team. Yes, teams may have left town after a season, or performed poorly, but, they always finished out a season and played the games as scheduled, which is much more than you can say about 75% of the other indoor leagues experiences out there. (especially the later NIFL years, AIFA, etc).

Until we have some evidence of an AFL related team totally bailing mid season, I'll stand up and say that I "trust" that every AFL team will play all their games in a season. About the only instance I can think of that might be close was that the last Memphis "home" game in their second season was played in Tupelo, MS, and I honestly don't recall if that was planned before the season or not. So, that might have been a mid season "switcheroo", but, other than that, I don't believe there have been any instances of things like in other leagues, of teams just flat dying mid season.

Maybe you were making a distinction between 'indoor' and 'arena' though, and not including AFL in your accusation. Honestly, the IFL, and the IFL's leagues that they merged from, have had fairly stable experiences as well, so, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. The rest of them (AIFA, CIFL, SIFL, etc), are all swimming in an "ABA 2000" like murky lake.[/quote]

Obviously, afdave doesn't know the inner workings of the CIFL or
what is truly happening. All you have to do is ask because the league
moniters this forum as well as their own. The only thing "murky" about
the CIFL were the teams that left the league or were thrown out
because they couldn't pay their bills, or made false accusations
against the league.

The "old" Marion ownership, now in Columbus, tried do too much, too late
for 2010 season. The league is now forced to scramble with a "new" set
of owners in Marion. This is not the leagues fault. The schedule is being
modified to account for the changes. Their season will now start on 3/26,
as per the CIFL Forum...

http://www.ciflfootball.com/CIFLForum/i ... 112138#new

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 am

[quote=""mrsummitcitypigskin""]This is not the leagues fault.[/quote]

I will freely admit I do not know the inner workings of this league, BUT a league is responsible for making sure all members have the financial ability to start and complete a season. Otherwise, that is how NIFLish and ABAish situations arise (or in the case of Portsmouth FC, EPLish).

Return to “CIFL”