Portland to Move for 2010

The National Lacrosse League (NLL) forum
LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Portland to Move for 2010

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:54 am

The Portland Lumberjax are leaving Portland this offseason, but we don't know where...

Article

I wonder where they'd end up, though...St. Louis, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake all come to mind for a future location for an NLL team.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am

Oh, yikes. I've been negligent.

http://www.oregonlive.com/lumberjax/ind ... d_tea.html

They SAY they're looking at Seattle, and you'll note no confirmation from Key Arena. I'm not sure they'll get any further investors anywhere for more than a year. Angela Batinovich kind of fronted for her father (apparently), that money is apparently gone, but at least indications are they left without leaving any old debts behind.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:25 am

Hmm...Seattle would make sense...putting some major pro men's team into the Key Arena would put some legitimacy to the building.

I emailed them and they pretty much said that they'll make decisions as the situation develops. While it'd be good to see another team in Seattle with the way that they lost the Sonics (I still haven't gotten over that), the Wikipedia article has said that the NLL has looked at Salt Lake, Oklahoma City, or Baltimore as future cities for a franchise. I think St. Louis is a legitimate contender as well, with the arena the Blues play in.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue May 12, 2009 6:14 pm

As I understand, Batinovich has retained the franchise rights for now. I could be wrong, I doubt it.

The NLL can look... that doesn't mean Batinovich isn't looking elsewhere.

The question, of course, is who would jump on as another moneybags to help out. OR... who would buy out the ownership?

Most of all, wikipedia? Eh...
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Sat May 16, 2009 2:34 pm

[quote=""LandRoverUT60""]Hmm...Seattle would make sense...putting some major pro men's team into the Key Arena would put some legitimacy to the building.

I emailed them and they pretty much said that they'll make decisions as the situation develops. While it'd be good to see another team in Seattle with the way that they lost the Sonics (I still haven't gotten over that), the Wikipedia article has said that the NLL has looked at Salt Lake, Oklahoma City, or Baltimore as future cities for a franchise. I think St. Louis is a legitimate contender as well, with the arena the Blues play in.[/quote]

Seattle seems to be the likely choice. However, the Western expansion has been tough on the league with teams failing in Arizona, Anaheim, and now Portland. Plus San Jose lives life on the edge and cannot seem to get crowds of more than 5,000. Only Colorado has managed to find the recipe for success; Calgary and Edmonton have done well, but their ownerships have been unsettled at times.

If it was me, I'd put a team in Winnipeg. It is a city without much direct sporting competition (besides the Manitoba Moose).

NWsportsfan
Site Admin

Post by NWsportsfan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:48 am

Well, now that the San Jose Stealth is relocating to Everett, I am guessing the plans to move Portland to Seattle may not happen. Unless, the NLL does not mind two teams so close to one another.
Last edited by NWsportsfan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:45 am

[quote=";"][/quote]
You remember how the Jax were rumored to move to Everett and the Stealth to Stockton?

Well, maybe the rumor guys got their info backwards...The Stealth moved to Everett, so maybe the Jax are going to Stockton?
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

events
Site Admin

Portland Relocation

Post by events » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:57 am

You can add Abbotsford BC to the list of possible locations for the POrtlan franchise.
New arena,natural rivalry with Everett(Stealth)....and Calgary and Edmonton I flight away.
Any opinions on that development?

events
Site Admin

Portland Relocation

Post by events » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:54 am

Abbotsford centre to pursue national lacrosse franchise

By Gary Kingston, VANCOUVER SUNJune 18, 2009

The new Abbotsford Events Centre will continue to pursue a National Lacrosse League franchise after losing out to Everett, Wash., as a home for the relocated San Jose Stealth.

“Give us a little more time and we’ll get one,” Trey Bell, general manager of the 7,000-seat facility said on Thursday after learning that after six seasons in San Jose, the Stealth owners had decided to move the team to the 8,300-seat Comcast Arena in Everett for the 2010 season.

The Stealth had the lowest average attendance in the 12-team NLL in 2009, attracting just 4,129 a game to the HP Pavilion, also home of the NHL San Jose Sharks.

Bell said he had good discussions with the Stealth owners, a group of Silicon Valley business leaders.

“I was very much disappointed [at the Stealth choosing Everett]. They made their decision based on market and things I’m not aware of. I do believe they felt Abbotsford was very viable, but they decided not to cross the border.”

The Vancouver Ravens were the last NLL team to play out of B.C., competed from 2002-2004 at GM Place.

Attempts have been made at returning a franchise to Vancouver, perhaps playing out of the Coliseum, but nothing has panned out. Once adamant that teams play in NHL- sized arenas — as they do in Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton — the NLL, which has had several franchises fold or relocate, now appears prepared to use smaller venues.

Bell said he believes the team in Everett, which will be renamed next week, and an Abbotsford team could develop “a fantastic rivalry.”

He said Thursday he has not talked with anybody from the Portland Lumberjax, another NLL team looking to move before the 2010 season.

Abbotsford will be the new home for 2009-2010 of the Calgary Flames’ American Hockey League team.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 am

Portland is going dark for 2010. I'm not one to point to promote other boards on here, but the "unofficial" official NLL forums contained a post from the owner, which stated:

"The Portland LumberJax have filed for involuntary suspension.

Our ownership group has decided not to relocate or "go dark". For numerous reasons, the largest being the economy (it may seem like a "sell out" response, but it's outrageous how much people have lost and no one wants to assume anymore risk right now) we have decided not to continue.

We did everything possible to stay in Portland. There are lots of issues that surrounded our health in Portland. I will elaborate if you have relevant questions. You, the fans, are the most important to any league, sport or team - you should not be left in the dark.

It has taken me this long because there are sensitive "negotiations" surrounding our franchise at the moment. We have still an opportunity to sell our franchise and we have potential buyers. That's all I can really say at this point.

I don't plan to go to the media with a statement, don't think its really necessary yet... (you know how awesome most of them have been to our franchise, sorry) we had more media show up the day we announced we were leaving than we have ever had the whole four years... Silcott even told them at our office door (as they asked for a statement), "hey guys, you're late, the season's over!"... and then shut the door.

I love Portland, I plan to stay here and raise my daughter. I wish things had been different. We ran into many situations that caused financial trouble. Again, I don't mind elaborating if you all have questions about it.

I think the league is in a great position. In my opinion, its about to hit a stride and find its home in the world of pro sports. I don't say this to be cheesy and "politically correct" but I really do believe in this league and these teams. It's a great sport and there are some fantastic people running this league (despite what you all may think) -- there are some great creative and financial minds behind this ship... decisions for TV etc. have reasons for being made that can't always be disclosed. Have faith in your passion of the NLL. They're on it..."

http://wingszone.com/nllmb/showpost.php ... ostcount=1

Return to “NLL”