Misl Folded this just came across the wire

The Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) forum
nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:44 am

You just killed any chance of bringing back the Wings. You try playing outdoors unair conditioned out here in the middle of summer. Bring the bug spray and a portable fan.

jwalters
Site Admin

Post by jwalters » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:46 am

The idea about outdoor stadiums was really based on availability of mid sized venues in markets. If we are talking about Wichita I think the new Park City arena would be best. A few years back Masters Football out of the UK started playing "indoor soccer" exhibitions at the tennis club in Dubai. The only problem with tennis venues is the start at the international minimum size of 120'x60' and only go up a little bit in size. The Indoor Football League in Spain that hosts clubs such as Real Madrid plays on fields that range in size from 120'x60' up to 130'x65'. The fields are surrounded by boards that are about 3' high without glass. These games are very well attended and high scoring. I think if a league started here in North America using the smaller field with short boards and the futsal ball it would maybe be more popular and cost effecient. The small field would allow smaller venues to host teams. For instance the owner of the Albany armory was wanting to have indoor soccer played there. It would have only seated about 1800 for the MISL but for the smaller field version it would seat about 3800. I also think that the goals should be enlarged from 8'x14' to 8'x20'. I like high scoring games.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:48 am

Nice to see espn and espnnews has the MISL folding on their ticker. After years of ignoring MISL scores.

Maybe MLS SHOULD start an indoor league off-season. They could develop two levels over 10-15 years if they do it slow and smart. Have the two conferences just do home and home in the conference, then one game playoffs. Not to mention now that MLS gets espn coverage they could also post MISL scores, giving them needed legitmacy.

I'd rather futsal gets promoted. It's THE version of indoor soccer preferred just about everywhere else in the world.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Aaronhere
Site Admin

Post by Aaronhere » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:20 pm

[quote=""Aaronhere""]"Dude", I am not dredging up any old teams. I was only making the connection between the comments from the Blast ownership and the fact there are teams out there that are technically still franchises. In fact, if you go to the MISL website, they still have a logo for the St. Louis Steamers.[/quote]

"Under the former MISL bylaws, officials from now-defunct franchises such as Dallas, San Diego, St. Louis and Kansas City had equal voting rights with teams currently operating to determine league policies. Disbanding the organization eliminates that situation." - Baltimore Examiner (June 3, 200 8)

This is what I was referring to.
America's Real Team
http://www.packershistory.net

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:13 pm

And thus the key difference between MISL and the AIFL/A, they threw out the trash when they reorganized, not keep it under the rug.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

stuharry
Site Admin

Post by stuharry » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:45 pm

[quote=""tops804""]Keep in mind that in 1987-88 (The last MISL "glory year")
MISL was in 11 United States cities.
NHL was in 13 United States cities.
NBA was still growing and getting richer TV deals.

Even with the problems in some NHL United States markets, it's safe to say
that both other "major" indoor winter leagues left MISL in the dust.

Can indoor soccer go back to basics? Maybe even some old AISA cities? It
can't challenge in major markets, and needs a different marketing scheme.[/quote]

And when you consider that teams like the Milwaukee Wave were in the AISA in 1987-88, the total of US major cities with indoor soccer teams was probably higher than in the NHL. And in some cases like St. Louis and KC, indoor soccer DID challenge in major markets. So what happened? Was it poor marketing that let indoor soccer down or was it perceived like a novelty which means it was doomed from the start? The AFL was probably perceived as a novelty at the beginning but obviously it has not only survived but is now a major league. Which means marketing and off the field issues are probably the causes of failure or success in these leagues.

Aaronhere
Site Admin

The "New" MISL

Post by Aaronhere » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:57 pm

As more and more articles are making it to the web, a new look for the MISL is forming. From the Philadelphia Daily News:
Along with Philadelphia, the MISL had representatives in Detroit, Chicago, California, Milwaukee and Baltimore and added three expansion clubs just last season in New Jersey, Monterrey and Orlando. According to Rotwitt, the new agreement may find a few of these teams on the outside looking in at the revamped league.

Rotwitt said restructuring should take anywhere from 3 weeks to a month. Currently, the league is looking to see how many of the original nine teams will stay and how many more cities will want to field teams. Rotwitt claims that the new league has already looked into inquiries of starting organizations in New York, Richmond and Cincinnati, and even a possible return of the Cleveland Force, placed on inactive status due to loss of ownership in 2005.

"We are considering structural changes that will bring us greater efficiencies, while also allowing long-term growth and expansion of the league," said John Hantz, the MISL's former chairman and owner of the Detroit Ignition. "This day marks the end of one era, and the start of a new era for the sport of professional indoor soccer."

Here is what I can see happening:
IN - Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Orlando, New Jersey
OUT - Monterrey (could head to the PASL), California (already in PASL)
COMING BACK/EXPANSION - Cleveland, St. Louis, Kansas City, Richmond, Cincinnati, New York (Long Island), Tampa/Miami (a natural rival for Orlando)

EASTERN DIVISION - Orlando, Richmond, Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Jersey, New York, Tampa/Miami
CENTRAL DIVISION - St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati
* Play a 26-game schedule (home-and-home with each other team)
* Top four teams in each division make playoffs

Just my two cents..........
America's Real Team
http://www.packershistory.net

cardshopmd
Site Admin

Post by cardshopmd » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:11 am

heres what i know the leage will return for the 08-09 seasion
the blast will win that i am sure of no baltimore blast playes have been released from contracts as of yet .

the leage will form in 2 divisions east & west this is what i was told
now with the old stock holders gone we can get the votes needed to bring in the teams needed to keep the league a float

as for steve ryan leaving good riddens glad to see his ass go dont let the door hit you on the way out now we can restructure the leage to bring back then fans & some new teams **** better yet let ed hale run the dam league
since baltimore has the longest successfull running team in the leage

he owns his own bank so we know he can fund it , we can call it F.I.S.L
The First Mairner indoor soccer Leage

[quote=""Aaronhere""]As more and more articles are making it to the web, a new look for the MISL is forming. From the Philadelphia Daily News:

Here is what I can see happening:
IN - Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Orlando, New Jersey
OUT - Monterrey (could head to the PASL), California (already in PASL)
COMING BACK/EXPANSION - Cleveland, St. Louis, Kansas City, Richmond, Cincinnati, New York (Long Island), Tampa/Miami (a natural rival for Orlando)

EASTERN DIVISION - Orlando, Richmond, Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Jersey, New York, Tampa/Miami
CENTRAL DIVISION - St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati
* Play a 26-game schedule (home-and-home with each other team)
* Top four teams in each division make playoffs

Just my two cents..........[/quote]

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:07 am

[quote=""cardshopmd""]baltimore has the longest successfull running team in the leage[/quote]

Not quite: The Milwaukee Wave were the longest running franchise in the
MISL. Dating back as a continuous entity, to the 1984-85 season of the AISA.

The current Blast franchise was founded as the NPSL's Baltimore Spirit in
1992-93 after the original Blast were dissolved along with the MISL in the
summer of 1992.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

stuharry
Site Admin

Post by stuharry » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:06 pm

[quote=""tops804""]Not quite: The Milwaukee Wave were the longest running franchise in the
MISL. Dating back as a continuous entity, to the 1984-85 season of the AISA.

The current Blast franchise was founded as the NPSL's Baltimore Spirit in
1992-93 after the original Blast were dissolved along with the MISL in the
summer of 1992.[/quote]

How far back does the original Blast team go in the original MISL? The answer to that will determine which city has had continuous indoor soccer the longest. No doubt whether it is Milwaukee or Baltimore, they are by far the best cities/franchises of those that are in play. Both have won 4 titles.

Return to “MISL”